Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First road bike purchase help.
Quote | Reply
Don't know much about road bikes and looking to buy my first one and could use a little advice. First off I have a 2011 P3 and just looking for a more comfortable ride and an alternative to always riding my TT bike. Getting a little older and just looking for a little more comfort and a better climber. Been starting to do some research and want to keep my budget< 3K. My local LBS has offered me a 2015 Scott Foil with full Ultegra for 2600$ and I have my eye on a 2015 Litespeed L1 on mybikeshop for 2900$. Just looking for some general feedback from those who have lots more knowledge than me. Thanks in advance for all your comments and suggestions. Steve
Quote Reply
Re: First road bike purchase help. [steve1128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size is you P3?

Can you post a picture of you on it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Foil is a great bike, and it sounds like a good deal if that's what you're after. It depends what you want to do with it though - I've ridden that bike and it's quite race-y not the most comfortable. Do you want a bike to race with, or more of a cruiser? If the latter then you might be better off looking at something with a more relaxed geometry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fresh news out of the oven if you want to wait 1 year. Seems like you may have some time as you have a good bike to ride on. Canyon just announced they will start selling in the US (2017). This will be a game changer from a price perspective because they sell direct to consumers online. You can expect to get what normally would cost you $4000-4500 for like $3000.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/canyon-bicycles-officially-announces-us-expansion/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was 'into' Triathlon I only rode on my P2. Then I bought a road bike* and over the past 5 years I find that I'm riding my Tri bike less and less (only at local cycling club TT's) and the road bike more.

*Except my road bike is actually an aluminum CX bike. Its a standard Ultegra set-up. I bought a second, basic set of wheels (Shimano R550) and put some 25mm road tires on them. That way I have a bike that is 95% as good as a road bike on the road (a little heavier and less aero) but I also can enjoy it in the fall, winter & spring, I can ride around the park with the kids and not worry about it being a delicate carbon frame.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding a Scott Addict for over a year now and use this bike for most my training. The geometry is exactly the same as the foil and I've found it to be very comfortable even for longer rides. I've heard that the 2015 foils are a bit harsher but if you run a wider tire with lower air pressure you'll find it to be much more supple. A close friend of mine has been on the 2015 foil with ultegra and hasn't had any issues with the seatpost slipping which was an issue for 2014 and earlier foils. Depending on how you fit yourself I think you'll be able to get a comfortable ride even on the more aggressive geometry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2014 I bought a Domane 5.2 Lists for $3700 and I offered $2750 - settled on $2800 The Trek Store was happy to sell at that price. Love the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for all your input. It is very much appreciated. I too have heard the foil is a bit harsh so I am leaning towards the Litespeed . Actually now have the Litespeed Li2 on my radar with DI2 and Reynolds Assaults for 600$ more than the L1 or the Foil. I do plan on racing it at MOO and possibly Lou if I don't get my P3 dialed in better. Just too much pain/numbness in my taint region and its starting to take the enjoyment out of my rides. Yes I have been fit on it by a few different reputable fitters and ben tinkering and experimenting with different saddles. I also have heard the announcement about Canyon but am ready to buy now. Thanks again for all your input. Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Since you already have a P3, I would focus on getting the lightest and most comfortable road bike within your budget. I think a Cervelo R3 would be an ideal bike for you, within your budget too. The Litespeed is not exactly the lightest bike, and when I test rode it, I wasn't impressed by how muted it felt. Beisdes the Cervelo, the Cannondale SuperSix or Specialized Tarmac are all MUCH better bike for the money, IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: First road bike purchase help. [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo R3 is a champ.... love mine

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for all your advice and input. Ended up buying the 2015 Scott Foil from my local LBS and took her for her first ride today. Really ENJOYED my ride. Was I faster on it than my P3?? No, But I was mostly a lot more comfortable and really happy I got it. Got a really good deal and they even comp'd me a quick fit on my P3 and are letting me demo a Cobb Randy. Probably could have gotten a little "more" bike online but happy to support the local guy who gives good service. Hopefully being more comfy and alternating my bikes will lead to more focused and effective training and better results come race day.
Quote Reply