Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay?
Quote | Reply
This is has been the second hardest decision of building a new house (floors being the first) so I do what I always do when it comes to needing an opinion... ask the LR.

Is it going to look stupid 10-20 years from now? I would do it, but not being able to easily switch to a regular sink in the future concerns me. The house has a "Industrial farmhouse" style or so my wife tells me. The kitchen has painted shaker cabinets, quartz or butcher block counters (if we run out of budget) and natural oak floors.
Quote Reply
Re: Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely trendy. I decided against it on my remodel and just went with the deep single basin sink for the kitchen. Much more flexible to change later and having that Quartz top wrap around the sink unbroken is nice for counter consistency and utility.

Plus that huge white sink my be hard to deal with if you remodel years from now with a different color scheme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 20 years it will just be coming back into fashion again!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Definitely trendy. I decided against it on my remodel and just went with the deep single basin sink for the kitchen. Much more flexible to change later and having that Quartz top wrap around the sink unbroken is nice for counter consistency and utility.

Plus that huge white sink my be hard to deal with if you remodel years from now with a different color scheme.

You can probably find an apron sink in stainless. Might be a good compromise.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a fan of single sinks in general and less of the farmhouse styles. We are almost done with our kitchen reno and went with a high quality double stainless undergoing. One side deals with kitchen prep/washup, the other for drying stuff while cooking.
I couldn't really deal with a sink where I am tossing stuff in from prep while sharing a space for a pot that I need to reuse that has been washed and is drying.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay? [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the sink we'd most likely order:

https://www.amazon.ca/...kraus+farmhouse+sink

Still a double, still an apron, but a bit more modern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what style house you are building. its a classic look like wood floors, white subway tiles. Some things are just classic and will never go out of style. A big apron sink is one of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Krause is good. That it's similar to ours but a full undermount. I guess my one issue with the farmhouse, based in our experience with the undermount is that lower front will allow for more spray/splash running down the front to the floor.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just finished building a custom home last year. I enjoyed the process but holy shit was it a suck hole for money! Turns out that if you want nice stuff like you see in all the pictures and websites it cost a ton of money. we had generous allowances for everything from roofing to plumbing, lighting, appliances and still manages to go over budget on every single category. Once we started with the designers, we knew we were in for trouble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that painted cabinets tend to not hold up to well in the sink area do to combo of water splashing and legs/waist pressing against the doing dishes.....it is the highest traffic area in the kitchen. We have painted cabinets.....if I would do it over I would make sure my sink edge has a seriously thick lip or go with the farmhouse style.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
Keep in mind that painted cabinets tend to not hold up to well in the sink area do to combo of water splashing and legs/waist pressing against the doing dishes.....it is the highest traffic area in the kitchen. We have painted cabinets.....if I would do it over I would make sure my sink edge has a seriously thick lip or go with the farmhouse style.

I painted my cabinet doors with color and matt clear. Automotive paint with a paint gun. nothing touches it. No signs of wear.

I went with a deep single bowl stainless sink (also a chinese made Kraus) undermounted, a smaller sink over by the fridge and food prep area, and concrete countertops (a big savings since I made them myself)

The big sink is so big I can wash 5 gallon glass carboys in it. I'm the one that cooks everyday so I made a man kitchen.
Last edited by: knewbike: May 25, 16 19:09
Quote Reply
Re: Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MDF or wood doors? How are the humidity deltas in your area? We live in an area that swings between 25% and 100% weekly throughout the year.

A pro is building/painting our cabinets... the MDF thing scares me a little but they say it's better than wood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are salvaged used custom cabinets made by a small outfit in Indiana. The facing and shelves are solid maple, frames are some seriously dense 15 ply plywood. Doors are also the same plywood which is why I painted them. I paid $500 for 2 kitchens worth. MDF sucks. I hate it. Heavy, soaks up water and swells, screws strip out of it. Sucks. Michigan gets all the weather, so probably similar.
Quote Reply
Re: Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The process is fun, yet stressful. This is our forever house.

We originally set out a $10K budget for improvements over the builders standard, cheap as possible finishes and will likely go over by another $10K, which isn't bad considering it's a half million dollar purchase.

And of course, my $55k shop of which we broke ground on earlier this week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say no. I dont personally like the large in your face look of the sink overhanging the counter. We did our counters and sink 3 yrs ago and we did one oversized undermount sink. Its great, we can wash anything in that bad boy. The other option was a double sink with a low divider to still fit pans in to wash.

have you ever considered that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah fun but stressful. Told the wife I want to build another one one day.

Hears how good we were at budgeting.

Allowance /Actual

Plumbing fixtures 10,000 /13,500
Lighting fixtures 7,500 /10,000
cabinets and tops 38,000 /52,000
Kitchen appliances 13,000 /21,000
Shingle Roof 12,000 /27,000 metal
Door hardware 3,200/ 5,500
Last edited by: SkipG: May 25, 16 21:11
Quote Reply
Re: Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:

Allowance /Actual

I find some of those number hilariously tiny, but that's from the commercial side ;)
The last project I finished, one light fixture was $10,000! Total lighting package for a 20,000 sf building was $250,000. Just materials, no labour. A single door's hardware is $1000. But you don't have to worry about 2,500 people per day using the door.

Anyway, the metal roof will pay for itself within 25 years! Mostly cause you won't have to replace it with a new shingle roof then ;) "You" can get 50-100 years out of standing seam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's amazing how HDTV has made all of us experts. I'd say the same thing about Law & Order and ER.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds in keeping with the rest of your kitchen, I'd go for it. We have a similar style kitchen to you, painted hardwood cabinets, quartz tops, etc and went for a big white ceramic double sink. Doesn't stick out too much. Looks good, pretty timeless and unlikely to go out of fashion, white always goes with everything. Having a double sink is often convenient in a lot of little ways e.g. stacking up or soaking dirty pans in one sink where they're out of sight, and then using the other sink to do the washing up.
Quote Reply
Re: Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
SkipG wrote:

Allowance /Actual

I find some of those number hilariously tiny, but that's from the commercial side ;)
The last project I finished, one light fixture was $10,000! Total lighting package for a 20,000 sf building was $250,000. Just materials, no labour. A single door's hardware is $1000. But you don't have to worry about 2,500 people per day using the door.

Anyway, the metal roof will pay for itself within 25 years! Mostly cause you won't have to replace it with a new shingle roof then ;) "You" can get 50-100 years out of standing seam.
yeah residential and commercial are two different animals! We had to splurge on some things and try to cut back on others where possible. It's amazing how much work is involved in both builders side and as homeowner in the building process.
Quote Reply
Re: Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay? [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
It's amazing how HDTV has made all of us experts. I'd say the same thing about Law & Order and ER.
yeah, between the house flipping shows, law and order and now spending some time in the LR....
Quote Reply
Re: Farmhouse/Apron sink... yay or nay? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah, you should see our budget then! It's a small 1500 sqft 3 bedroom / 2 bathroom house.

Plumbing: $4-5k
Lighting: $1-2k
Cabinets/Counters: $16k
Flooring: $8-10k
Appliances: $8-10k
Mouldings and trim: $2k

We bought the house at lock up but would've gone with metal roofs had it not already been shingled. 20-22 years from now, it'll be metal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Hah, you should see our budget then! It's a small 1500 sqft 3 bedroom / 2 bathroom house.

Plumbing: $4-5k
Lighting: $1-2k
Cabinets/Counters: $16k
Flooring: $8-10k
Appliances: $8-10k
Mouldings and trim: $2k

We bought the house at lock up but would've gone with metal roofs had it not already been shingled. 20-22 years from now, it'll be metal.
our strategy sucked when making selections in the showrooms, our plan was lets go pick what we want and not worry about price, then we will see how far off we are from budget and will then decide to cut or pay out of pocket.
Quote Reply