Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: School me on small engines [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 5 year old Briggs mower has started within 3 pulls since I've owned it.

If it didnt get run dry, I dump the gas if it's sat for a while and put fresh stuff in.

I'm more impressed with my Stihl saw, it routinely spends 3 months strapped to my bush truck's roof rack and starts within 3 pulls.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on small engines [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:
If you run the engine 4 or 5 times this way and it still does not continue running, guaranteed to be a "fuel" issue, and in this case, I guarantee it is a gunked up carb.

Much easier to buy a can of starter fluid.

BLep, what's the status? Had a chance to try anything?

Please. It took him until the end of May to get off his lazy ass and try to mow the lawn. Do you really expect him to go all in on small engine repair mode in 2 days? It will be at least Saturday before he does anything, and then on Sunday he will go buy a new electric mower.

You do know that he was mowing his snow banks right?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on small engines [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
mr. mike wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:
If you run the engine 4 or 5 times this way and it still does not continue running, guaranteed to be a "fuel" issue, and in this case, I guarantee it is a gunked up carb.

Please. It took him until the end of May to get off his lazy ass and try to mow the lawn. Do you really expect him to go all in on small engine repair mode in 2 days? It will be at least Saturday before he does anything, and then on Sunday he will go buy a new electric mower.

You do know that he was mowing his snow banks right?

Not quite but we did have a late spring here this year. I doubt that my lawn started growing until mid-late April. It was bad last night but probably not as bad as he was picturing.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
our spring's been the opposite, dry. Mowing the lawn in April already, trees leafed out nearly a month early. Then it snowed 12-18" of that wet heavy Ontario shit. So wet it was blue, great moisture but it was hell on the trees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:

Bought new fuel. Dumped old fuel. Put in new fuel. 3 pulls. All good.

It's starting on 1-2 pulls now.

Don't brag yet... That just means you described the problem like an "Alice".

Kind of like when your wife describes why her computer "doesn't work".

Engines used on lawnmowers / snow blowers etc are so forgiving when it comes to fuel that there's no way storing gas for 6 months was the root of the problem unless you stored the gas over a heat duct with the lid open.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on small engines [Goobdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stored the gas in my shed which gets pretty hot in the summer. The gas that came out of the mower was yellow. It was definitely funky.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: School me on small engines [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spray starting fluid into the air cleaner and immediately try starting (volatile stuff). This has always worked for me on lawnmowers and chainsaws that sat idle for long periods, with no special steps taken otherwise, such as fresh gas or spark plug.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply

Prev Next