Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Abdominal cramps/ pain during my HIM last saturday
Quote | Reply
This was my 3rd HIM, first race this year. I had a good swim, got out and made it about 5 miles into the bike. From there I ate about half a package of powerbar gummies and some water before getting what felt like gas cramps/ pain across my lower abdomen (worse on the right side). I have had pain like this before, but last time it happened on the run, not the bike. During the rest of the bike I ended up dealing with this and didn't drink enough water because of it, but I ate a bonk breaker bar and a honey stinger gel. Took a few more gels during the run, water, and electrolyte pills, but pretty much had pain until I was finished.

On the morning of I had some oatmeal with green apples, cinnamon, honey, and a banana around 6 am (race started at 8). Then a gel about half an hour before the race started. I drank a good amount of water the morning of (possibly too much because I was worried I hadn't had enough the night before)

The night before I had some chicken, flatbread a bit of hummus, and a banana. Fairly light dinner for me and also bland for what I eat.

So for those of you who have had some sort of stomach/ abdominal pain and cramping issues before, what have you done to fix them. What should I be doing or not doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Abdominal cramps/ pain during my HIM last saturday [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I can't handle too many simple carbs before a hard workout, especially running. I do eat a lot of fruit, but I cannot eat it within a couple hours before a workout. Apples and peaches give me horrible abdominal cramps, as does rice. Bananas are also really hard on me, even though other people swear by them. I don't have any problems with oatmeal, and I suspect that it is due to the more complex carbs and lower (or no) sugar.

However, I can eat high protein and high fat foods before a workout without any problems. Lasagna, tacos, chili, it is all good. Last night I had roast beef with carrots and asparagus then immediately followed that with hill repeats. No problems there, but if I had included an apple, I would have been throwing up.
Quote Reply
Re: Abdominal cramps/ pain during my HIM last saturday [alexer03] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are probably already aware of this saying but if not it may help.

"train the way you race, race the way you train"

So if this is your second go with stomach issues then I would say you are
going to need to take the time and possible extra inconvenience in your
lifestyle to make certain that the day before your key long sessions in your
buildup you eat the same thing every time. And then during your key long
sessions you use the exact same nutrition plan that you will during the race.

Hopefully this approach would get you dialed in for what is going to work
perfectly on race day because race day itself won't be anything different from
your key sessions, just a bit longer.

If it doesn't work on race day then you may need to explore down the road
of stomach issues in related to being under stress which for some people
can certainly mess with their digestive system whether in racing or in everyday
situations as well.

Just my 2 cents, good luck and hope you can get it sorted out to have a "more
enjoyable" race in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gross question. Did you have a good BM that morning? I would find a way to make sure that happens before you get to the start line.
Quote Reply
Re: Abdominal cramps/ pain during my HIM last saturday [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burhed wrote:
The gross question. Did you have a good BM that morning? I would find a way to make sure that happens before you get to the start line.

I did, and didn't have another for about 3 hours after the race was over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a HIM a couple weeks ago and had to poop four times during the run. This is a chronic problem for me. I don't have stomach cramps, just an overwhelming need to poo. And I poo a couple times before the race starts. Running in general gives me the runs. I'm considering trying imodium for my upcoming races. Any thoughts or experiences? (By the way, I poop fast. It barely cost me any time. But it's uncomfortable when I start panicking that there is no portajohn ahead or a place to duck into the woods.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Change the brand of products you are using. Your body will react differently to powerbar products vs hammer gels as an example the ingredients are different. What was the temperature on race day also, that can have an effect easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've have something similar cause by swallowing air during the swim. Not saying this is your issue for sure, but maybe try to swim-bike or swim-run bricks in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be completely random. Or it could be course nutrition or your own race nutrition.

GI issues are notorious, bordering on impossible, to completely pin down. Try to eliminate as many variables as you can. Train with the nutrition you plan to race on. Same breakfast, same amount of coffee at the same time in the AM, if you drink coffee. Hit the port-a-potties twice. Everyone knows if you go twice you are going to have a great day.

You still might get GI issues regardless. I know I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, the solution was to take tums 10-15 mins before I get off the bike, then take some as and when needed. Stopped mine that I used to get. Might help you also?
Quote Reply
Re: Abdominal cramps/ pain during my HIM last saturday [mpuzen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Personally, I can't handle too many simple carbs before a hard workout, especially running. I do eat a lot of fruit, but I cannot eat it within a couple hours before a workout. Apples and peaches give me horrible abdominal cramps, as does rice. Bananas are also really hard on me, even though other people swear by them. I don't have any problems with oatmeal, and I suspect that it is due to the more complex carbs and lower (or no) sugar.

However, I can eat high protein and high fat foods before a workout without any problems. Lasagna, tacos, chili, it is all good. Last night I had roast beef with carrots and asparagus then immediately followed that with hill repeats. No problems there, but if I had included an apple, I would have been throwing up.

That is interesting, usually I can eat anything I want on longer bike rides but have to tone it down for running. Running usually jostles loose all the gas I have and I don't have a cramping/ bloating problem.

mpuzen wrote:
Change the brand of products you are using. Your body will react differently to powerbar products vs hammer gels as an example the ingredients are different. What was the temperature on race day also, that can have an effect easily.

I think I am done with Hammer stuff in general. I got a box of honey stinger stuff coming, going to be switching to that for my gels and gummies. Just need to find a new drink. When I did my first HIM I didn't have any issues and I used water + gatorade endurance or whatever it is they are calling it. So that might have to be what I go back to. Temperature was a bit cooler than normal, but not terribly chilly.

rpoulin79 wrote:
I've have something similar cause by swallowing air during the swim. Not saying this is your issue for sure, but maybe try to swim-bike or swim-run bricks in training.

I was told this could be a problem as well, since my issues started so soon into the bike leg.

Dilbert wrote:
It could be completely random. Or it could be course nutrition or your own race nutrition.

GI issues are notorious, bordering on impossible, to completely pin down. Try to eliminate as many variables as you can. Train with the nutrition you plan to race on. Same breakfast, same amount of coffee at the same time in the AM, if you drink coffee. Hit the port-a-potties twice. Everyone knows if you go twice you are going to have a great day.

You still might get GI issues regardless. I know I do.

More stops at the bathroom, got it.

tayotri wrote:
For me, the solution was to take tums 10-15 mins before I get off the bike, then take some as and when needed. Stopped mine that I used to get. Might help you also?

Would tums do anything bad to me on the bike if I took them more often?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the same thing, generally in Olympic distance run legs, and I'm also pretty sure it's down to gulping in air during the swim. The discomfort is manageable on the bike, but makes it next to impossible to run. Over longer distances I don't have the same issues, presumable because the gas/bloating works its way out on the bike leg.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple of Gas-X before start helps with the gas from gulping air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be swallowing air when you swim. When you get on the bike in the aero position it can't escape your gut easily.
Quote Reply