Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Effects of "Energy" and "Sugar-Free" Drinks on fitness
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anybody has any information, articles, studys, or comment to provide on the consumption of energy drinks and sugar free drinks (such as red bull, monster, rockstar, 5-hour energy, coca cola, diet coke, etc.) and the effects on the body regarding fitness and weight management?

I'm interested to know as I've noticed my own consumption of such beverages has increased in recent times and wondering what the adverse effects (if any) might occur from their use and what they're doing to my fitness levels. The reason I my consumption has increased is due to a very disrupted sleep pattern (shift work, construction sites on my block, etc.) while trying to train as well as my own work. I'm relying on caffeine more than I used to to pick me up and seeing as I don't drink coffee, I'm using beverages which have caffeine and a lot of the time aspartame and other sugar replacements, to get me through. Some training days are good, other days I feel flat.

Can anybody provide some insight?
Last edited by: kennykill: May 24, 16 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: Effects of "Energy" and "Sugar-Free" Drinks on fitness [kennykill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Energy drinks (redbull, monster, etc.) have as much if not more sugar than a regular soft drink. Sugar is not your friend, though I would argue its better than the diet drinks.
2. The "Diet" and "Sugar Free" drinks out there are arguably worse for you than regular soft drinks because they trick your body into thinking you are ingesting calories when you aren't which leads to your body creating fat. Here's a good article about it: http://time.com/...-soda-bad-belly-fat/

If you can teach yourself to like coffee (even if that means adding sugar - you would likely add a lot less sugar to sweeten it to your liking than a soda contains) it will give you a lot more bang for your buck than the drinks you mentioned. And coffee also has antioxidants which are good for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Effects of "Energy" and "Sugar-Free" Drinks on fitness [kennykill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have pretty much totally weaned myself off of sugary drinks. There is nothing that is going to help my health or training in there, and there are certainly downsides to consuming the sugar, let alone the other stuff in there.

I have been carbonating my own water and adding lemon or lime juice, or sometimes ginger juice, this is pretty tasty when you crave something bubbly.

Still drinking beer though...which is made from sugar water. But hey, who is perfect?
Quote Reply
Re: Effects of "Energy" and "Sugar-Free" Drinks on fitness [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gimplegjoe wrote:
2. The "Diet" and "Sugar Free" drinks out there are arguably worse for you than regular soft drinks because they trick your body into thinking you are ingesting calories when you aren't which leads to your body creating fat. Here's a good article about it: http://time.com/...-soda-bad-belly-fat/

If you can teach yourself to like coffee (even if that means adding sugar - you would likely add a lot less sugar to sweeten it to your liking than a soda contains) it will give you a lot more bang for your buck than the drinks you mentioned. And coffee also has antioxidants which are good for you.

I can admit to knowing that sugar is not my friend, I am somewhat naive to think that a "calorie-free" sugar alternative doesn't have a effect on my body like full sugar drinks. The Time article is a wake up, thanks gimplejoe. It would be a good reason why my weight/eating habits as well as my fitness is suffering despite maintaining a good number of hours training during the week.

beercity wrote:
I have pretty much totally weaned myself off of sugary drinks. There is nothing that is going to help my health or training in there, and there are certainly downsides to consuming the sugar, let alone the other stuff in there.

I have been carbonating my own water and adding lemon or lime juice, or sometimes ginger juice, this is pretty tasty when you crave something bubbly.

Still drinking beer though...which is made from sugar water. But hey, who is perfect?

Thanks for the suggestion beercity, I do like carbonated beverages and this might help fill that rather than going for the canned sugar drinks.

But under no circumstances will I give up beer, a guy's still got to have a little bit of weakness!
Quote Reply