Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ZIPP SPOKES
Quote | Reply
Do you measure spoke length form the hub end to the end of the threads or where the threads begins? Not sure where to measure.

Where is the best place to get replacement Zipp spokes from?

What is the difference between Zipp aero straight pull spokes and Zipp Aero CXRay straight pull spokes?

So on Saturday I was out for a ride when one of my front spokes decided to break. So after being stranded for a little while, my wife took me to my LBS. This LBS is also a Zipp dealer. I asked if they had a replacement spoke as I showed them the wheel and the two mechanics looked up and without thinking said, "nope". So I asked where can I get one and they said that they can order one. They proceeded to call another store and I told them that I had already called them and they need to know the size. So I asked if they could measure the spoke for me so that I could order one. I asked like four times for them to measure it since I was not sure where the measurement should be taken from. Anyways I told them thank you and decided that I will find it myself.

So I went home and measured it and it seems to be 244 mm. I looked at the Zipp website and I think it said a Zipp 404 front wheel was 244 mm. So I ordered a set of three from Amazon. I am not positive if my wheels are 2014 model year or 2013. It seemed like the two years have different length spokes so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I got the right one. I must add that I am in Hawaii and it seems that no one stocks this stuff. I checked with two other shops that are Zipp dealers and one wasn't sure if they had the right length and the other one had replacement spokes, but not the one I needed.

I could always just put a regular spoke on for the time being but I want to know what to do in the future. I have a set of 404s and a set of 808s. Now I am thinking of measuring all of the spokes and having a set of spares in my own collection.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SPOKES [justablur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The measurement includes the threads.

Zipp uses Sapim CX-Ray bladed spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: ZIPP SPOKES [justablur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you aware of the Zipp front hub recall? This covers most 88 model front hubs through 2013. Check your front hub against the recall notice: http://www.zipp.com/...tice%203_16_2016.pdf

I would hope your shop knows about the recall and can differentiate model years on this wheel, but a broken spoke could be a sign that the hub is coming apart.
Quote Reply