Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dave Mirra had CTE
Quote | Reply
Hope this brings a little more attention to sports other than football.

Link
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra had CTE [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it's not a straight cause-and-effect between CTE and suicide.

But it's a scary thing with some of these cases is how high functioning they are right up to suicide. E.g. Junior Seau. These weren't guys with noticeable Parkinson's-like symptoms, like Muhammed Ali. They were still successful businessmen and athletes. Which may indicate that parts of the brain are being affected in ways that aren't immediately noticeable either to the victim or people in their daily lives. Normally an injured body part is pretty good at telling you what's going on. The brain may not be very good at that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good article in NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/...tner=rss&emc=rss
If you haven't seen the movie Concussion, you should watch it. Another classic case of people knowing for years about a huge problem but, "Damn! We're making so much money".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra had CTE [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Very sad. Definitely don't support football anymore, might be time to add some other sports to the list. RIP Dave.

its hard being a fan of the game and seeing how much it messes people up. my support has definitely dropped off because of it. this is the reason we decided not to let our son play football. it was on his list of sports he wanted to play but so was baseball so we let him play that. much less risk of cte there. definitely has the potential to get hit but its not often that it actually happens.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my hunch back in February due to his BMX days, it seems we are getting a solid grasp on just how devastating concussions are. It pains me when i see a professional athlete get back back on the pitch after taking a blow to the head that visibly shakes them.

It's sad that this happened, but hopefully athletes can learn from this and try to improve safety standards.
Quote Reply