Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

using a banned swimskin if it's a wetsuit legal race?
Quote | Reply
Doing Raleigh 70.3 on June 5th. I've heard this race is always right on the borderline of being wetsuit legal. I Just tried on my old wetsuit that I haven't worn in years (because I haven't raced in 6 years) and this thing is way too tight, Almost a choking feeling around the neck. No way can I swim for 30 min in that torture device.

Should I order new wetsuit just incase it turns out to be wetsuit legal?
Should I just use the new Roka Viper pro skin I just got last week?
Is it ok to use a banned point zero 3 swimskin if it's a wetsuit legal race?
Quote Reply
Re: using a banned swimskin if it's a wetsuit legal race? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use an old banned swim skin because this is basically a very thin wetsuit during a wetsuit legal race. You can't wear it in non wetsuit and technically you can't wear it under a wetsuit during a wetsuit swim because this would give you more than 5mm of neoprene. I say this, because an old water repelling swim skin could be an attractive option to wear on the bike during a cold rainy race after stripping off the wetsuit.

So it answer your question, yes you can wear it as your wetsuit in a wetsuit legal swim.
Quote Reply
Re: using a banned swimskin if it's a wetsuit legal race? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just trying to talk myself out of buying a new wetsuit. I also hate leaving a couple of easy minutes on the table if it does turn out to be a wetsuit legal race. Any idea of what kind of time difference between the older skins and a wetsuit for a 70.3 swim?
Quote Reply
Re: using a banned swimskin if it's a wetsuit legal race? [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try soaking it for a bit? There was a thread a few weeks back from Emilio saying that if your wetsuit has been unused for a while soak it first and it'll stretch some.
Quote Reply
Re: using a banned swimskin if it's a wetsuit legal race? [JustinPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinPB wrote:
Did you try soaking it for a bit? There was a thread a few weeks back from Emilio saying that if your wetsuit has been unused for a while soak it first and it'll stretch some.

Ooh! Good idea. I thought my wetsuit had shrunk. It definitely is not the extra insulation around my belly. Definitely not.
Quote Reply
Re: using a banned swimskin if it's a wetsuit legal race? [JustinPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I didn't soak it yet. I plan on doing that today. I'm sure the extra 20lbs I'm carrying is the main problem though. This thing is a medium, at 6' 200lbs now, I'm not even close to a medium on any size chart. I did get the damn thing zipped up by myself though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just go buy the Roka Maverick X and be happy :)

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: May 24, 16 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: using a banned swimskin if it's a wetsuit legal race? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I'm not the man of the house or anything...I'll order it if I want! :)

But.....

I have to weigh the nag factor if I make such a purchas! Yes...it will most likely save me a few minutes in the water but it has the potential to cost me so much more time on the back side long long after my race id done with the wifey!
Last edited by: SkipG: May 24, 16 10:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just buy her something nice too and she won't say anything

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: using a banned swimskin if it's a wetsuit legal race? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to laugh, thats what I do.

I edit my posts, a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Just buy her something nice too and she won't say anything
yeah...normally wouldn't question even making a big purchase, I don't do it often. After a 6 year vacation away from the sport, I've already spent a ton of money replacing out of date equipment the last couple of months. Might need to hold off on this one unless I can find something decent for a good deal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it helps any, here in Raleigh, it's been unusually cold and rainy for the last 2 weeks.
The weather has sucked.
Jordan Lake is reading at 69 right now, so it's again right on the border, but we haven't had our typical hot NC summer.
Quote Reply
Re: using a banned swimskin if it's a wetsuit legal race? [ayontz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ayontz wrote:
If it helps any, here in Raleigh, it's been unusually cold and rainy for the last 2 weeks.
The weather has sucked.
Jordan Lake is reading at 69 right now, so it's again right on the border, but we haven't had our typical hot NC summer.
makes me wanna spend the $ and get a new wetsuit. I have a feeling it's going to be a wetsuit race, only because I'm scrambling at the last minute looking for one. Looked at an extended 15 day weather forecast last night and it was showing a nice high of 79 on race day. We'll see how that turns out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use automotive Armour All, original edition on my suits to keep them supple and gliding nice. Wetsuit materials dry out but my low-end Fusion suit is 5 years old and fits like a glove. I do use it a lot and it needs some fixing!

Since suits look to be an EVA blend, wearing them (even if it's dry) definitely improves fit.

I also have two other suits I picked up, guys were selling as too small & hardly used. Which is common because they need to stretch & break-in. Approx $150. Both are Reaction suits, one is sleeveless.

So if you shop around a bit you never know!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been on the Roka site a few times today window shopping. $900 is rough!! There was a fairly new maveric pro for sale in the classified page for like $260. Not a bad deal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spent some time in the pool tonight with my old super tight sleeveless B70. Think I'm gonna let it ride and hold off on a new wetsuit for now. Did a few 100,s to see how it felt, think I can make it through. Forgot how much faster a wetsuit makes you. Usually I'm right at a 1:30/100 yard pace, did 5 x 100 to get a feel for the suit and every one was right at 1:22 and a very comfortable effort not pushing it at all. Hope it pans out that way on race day, I would be pleased with a 28min swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to get a new wetsuit as well but decided to go with the PZ3+ or just Blueseventy Core shorts. I hate the hot feeling in the water
Quote Reply