Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

I started my Kickstarter campaign on Friday. Would love to get your thoughts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...un-faster-run-longer

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter [rconrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was skeptical hoping for more specific feedback but I've used similar products for golf that only gave limited into that extrapolate the data from accelerometers so I'm considering. Coming from a running background, I've seen big Improvements in my times with better form so I like the idea of immediate feedback.

My biggest issue now is just the data line that it consumes. I would either have to choose not to use my HR or cadence but I use both often enough that I'm not in yet.
Quote Reply
Re: R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter [rconrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Intriguing idea.

Can you explain what I do if I'm running and my G-Count goes up? It seems like I just have to guess / experiment to see what raises or lowers the number?
Quote Reply
Re: R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a unique snow flake so unlike the competitors I will not recommend metrics to fall into. Doing that has as much chance of hurting you as it does helping you. That's why R-CON gives real time feedback. When you can make a change and instantly see if it helps or hurts, you can quickly and intuitively adjust your stride for your unique body type.
Quote Reply
Re: R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter [DomerTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@DomerTriGuy: the cadence metric is part of the G-Count score so replacing cadence makes more sense. Unless you know the ideal cadence for your body type on every terrain and pace, it's just a number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is this any different than the Garmin HRM-Run heart rate strap? Seems like you are capturing the same metrics.
Quote Reply
Re: R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@beercity: To see the metrics R-CON measures that Garmin analytics does not, the best resource I can point you to is the technical white paper link below. The Garmin Analytics are indeed very helpful so I'll no way discredit Garmin's implementation. I'm a very happy Garmin user myself. But, after personal use of these metrics, I developed R-CON to incorporate all of these metrics simultaneously so a runner can find the ā€˜idealā€™ form for their unique body type and skill set. Take GCT, for example: Garminā€™s recommended value is 160-300ms. Thatā€™s a massive range (high value is almost 2x the low value). So whatā€™s the ā€˜idealā€™ GCT for each individual runner within that range? My goal with R-CON is to measure the runner and let the runner optimize the metrics as opposed to imposing metrics to the runner. It sounds like a complicated process but seeing your form in a single number allows a runner to see the ā€œwhole enchiladaā€ and your gait naturally and quickly evolves to the correct movement for your body type, skill set, pace, and fatigue level. I recognize this approach is unique but this is something I used to turn my flat footed self who was told heā€™d never walk again into a sub 1:20 half marathoner and sub-3 marathoner. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.rconrunning.com/pdf/R-CON_Whitepaper.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kickstarter now says you cancelled your project ?
Quote Reply
Re: R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I cancelled a few hours ago. I truly believe this is a viable product that will help runners but the project was falling short of expectations. I will reboot after reflection of my strategy. Thanks for the continued feedback. It helps me tremendously. If you are interested in the project please consider signing up for the newsletter: http://www.rconrunning.com/reboot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was actually just talking to a colleague who is also a runner and we were both going to sign up figuring it's a small amount to give it a shot. Not sure I want to follow for a reboot for a company that pulls out within days of launching a kickstarter campaign.
Quote Reply
Re: R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter [DomerTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@DomerTriGuy: Thanks for the feedback so I have an opportunity to reply. It's a matter of exposure. Realizing I am not on a path to success and taking immediate action saves capital and time. I'm a one man company with limited resources so my every action must be with long term success in mind. I feel my remaining time and money in pursuit of this venture is better spent concentrating on developing a broader audience so I can improve my chances for success. Only if I reach my funding goal does R-CON become a reality and the clock is ticking. Thanks again for your honest feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think the idea is decent and possibly positioning yourself for acquisition by Zepp that cover golf, baseball, and tennis with their product could be a good move. Calling it quits so soon is just not something I'm used to so am surprised when an entrepreneur would do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@domertriguy like you i am an endurance athlete who doesn't know how to quit. This isn't quits. The sooner I end my unsuccessful campaign the sooner I can reboot my successful campaign.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I'm not an engineer but would be happy to help to see something like this get off the ground. Again, I think it had a decent base so there is potential there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Today is obviously a miserable day for me. You have no idea what you just said means to me. My sincere gratitude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. I would have loved to use this product. I'm constantly trying to improve weight distribution over my stride and your product seems like a no frills way to achieve it. GL w/ the next endeavor.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All, please sign up for the newsletter at http://www.rconrunning.com/reboot so I have a stronger next time on the next launch. These things are all network. I could seriously use everyone's help spreading the word.
Quote Reply
Re: R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think you are best contacting the other running power meter companies and integrating your product with them. more data points = more accuracy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
disclosure: rconrunning.com and I have raced a few ragnar relays together. one day, he sat me down, bought me a beer and some sweet appetizers at a local pub. During that sit-down he showed me the guts of an easy-to-use sensor that measures totalAcceleration (i.e, all three axes). I was curious enough to build him a tool that I thought might help dial in some signal processing parameters. this tool helped visualize the data from the sensor. the sensor data I saw was fascinating - so good, in fact, that I was able visualize and quantify L/R leg stiffness asymmetry in the best fit SLIP model coefficients at the heart of the tool that was developed.

With that disclosed, I don't know the exact details of how g-count is calculated, so don't ask me. I'm kinda like BASF -> I don't make a lot of the products you buy in the sporting goods industry. I make a lot of the products you buy in the industry better! ;-) haha.

With that said, Ryan (rconrunning.com) is good people. He's a runner. He's passionate. The sensor is cool, IMO.

I've been beta-testing it for the past few weeks (I'm on strava if you want to check all my data out) and recently did this quick and dirty experiment:

I've used the sensor with my refurb'd garmin 210 to identify and address some issues in my downhill running form as well.

Happy to share my experiences for those curious,

cheers,
-k

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply
Re: R-CON: wearable sensor that measures running form on Kickstarter [BikeTechReview] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah @BikeTechReview aka Smartest Guy I Know aka Kraig. Glad to have folks know we are working on this together. Kraig's visualization tools were critical in accurately measuring human running mechanics.
Quote Reply