Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
i have Bose and really like them, but when you cancel out the static background noise, that crying baby comes through loud and clear.

for sleeping time, i add in some foam earplugs and then the Bose on top, and everything is nice and quiet, just make sure to unplug from the airplane sound system or the announcements will be a little abrupt.

Ack! Never thought of that. It's an overnight flight so I'm hoping for some sleep time and hoping the headphones will help.
Quote Reply
Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
Want to buy some for a long flight. What are the best value ones out there?

I'm fairly certain that my Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling headphones have prevented me from committing a couple of capital offenses at 30,000 feet.

Best $300 I ever spent.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work for a startup which means its an open area workspace. They recently hired a sales team and plopped them down near me, so noise canceling headphones became a must have. I have the Bose quiet
comfort. The are amazing for drowning out sound. The downside is they are big headphones and my ears get hot after awhile. They work so well that sometimes people accidentally sneak up on me and scare the hell out of me. I only use them at work, I switch to bose ear buds for my commute (by train).

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you got some helpful tips. This is a nice thread and change of pace. No arguing, bickering, or name calling (so far).

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Hope you got some helpful tips. This is a nice thread and change of pace. No arguing, bickering, or name calling (so far).

Yes, I did. Can't imagine there's anyone who cares so passionately about headphones that it devolves into arguing or bickering. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
tfleeger wrote:
i have Bose and really like them, but when you cancel out the static background noise, that crying baby comes through loud and clear.

for sleeping time, i add in some foam earplugs and then the Bose on top, and everything is nice and quiet, just make sure to unplug from the airplane sound system or the announcements will be a little abrupt.

Ack! Never thought of that. It's an overnight flight so I'm hoping for some sleep time and hoping the headphones will help.

I fly internationally several times a month and usually have meetings within a few hours of landing - so sleeping on the flight is a must. I always wear the Bose over ear headphones. They are great for blocking noise and comfortable, unless you're a side sleeper. A couple pillows and/or rolled up blankets help. Remember to put an extra battery in the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Fuckin' Dr. Dre...
Stop buying the cheap shit. Wife Unit has the Beats Executives and she LOVES them. Lots of flights in small aircraft where noise is a big issue. I can't say it enough: SHE LOVES THEM. Why I repeat that, is because usually she is quick to shit on something if it isn't up to her expectations. I've heard from friends the "studio" version wasn't that great...and it seems the same on here.

I went with custom molded in ear monitors (ear buds). REally like them. Comfy for long wearing, blocks out all outside noise...been real nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sony in ear noise cancelling headphones. I bought my first pair 16 years ago, still using them. You can get them for less than $100 on Amazon. I would recommend against over the ear headphones. They can be bulky and take up lots of valuable carry on space and if the headset does not completely cover your ears, the pressure on your ears can be uncomfortable on a long flight.
Quote Reply
Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
Sony in ear noise cancelling headphones. I bought my first pair 16 years ago, still using them.

something must have changed at Sony, then- I got a pair of sports headphones from them, not cheap for what they were - lasted around 4 months. store wouldn't exchange them either, wanted me to travel around an hour from my home to get them 'fixed.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boss over-ear headphones are the best.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All this talk of noise cancelling headphones and today I left mine in the wrong truck along with my Tilley hat - it was a long long day mowing lawns.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best value always compromises functionality...thanks (insert favorite politician here).

I have the in ear Bose's "In Ear" ones for intercontinental flights.
I don't mind in ear and prefer it to getting hot/sweaty.

If I were you and only used them twice, I'd just use some single use regular wax ear plugs.

In 90% of the cases, If you can't sleep after a dinner with 2-3 glasses of red wine, it will be for other reasons than the noise.

Erin C. wrote:
Want to buy some for a long flight. What are the best value ones out there?
Last edited by: windschatten: May 26, 16 21:54
Quote Reply
Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the Bose over and the Bose in ear head phones.

For me, the over the ear seemed to block out more noise, but not enough to overtake the convenience of the in-ear model.

You can't go wrong with either one.

twomarks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

One more option to consider and is in your price range, is an in ear headphone from Shure.

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones/se-earphones/se215-sound-isolating-earphones

Scroll down and hit accessories and look at the yellow foam sleeves. The sleeves are essentially the same as the ear plugs you would use at a gun range, smash them down, put them in your ear then they expand to form a plug that lets the sound through.

I was a drummer in a previous life and we used Shure in ear headphones for monitors. I was in a plexiglass drum cage with ceiling and beat the shit out of those drums, these headphones allowed me to keep my hearing and be able to hear what everyone else was doing.

Nowadays I use them while motorcycling to block wind and exhaust noise and allow me to listen to music at a reasonable volume rather than blowing me ears out. Good setup for $120 and may be more versatile than a big over the ear headphone.

I also have Bose in ear headphones and love them. They work fine on flights, don't block as much noise as over the ear or the Shure option, but the do a decent job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, ski the beats. They're shit.

If active noise cancelling is priority, pick up the Bose QCs. HOWEVER I had them for a trip I took to Europe and I couldn't stand the sound quality. It was also very annoying that Bose does not make a Bluetooth version with ANC. Took the, back. For $300, the sound quality (Bose blows lows) was terrible.

Went hunting and found Plantronics backbeat pro. Great sound quality, and Bluetooth. Streaming movies, music and podcasts via the Bluetooth is about 98% as good as wired, and it's got a 24-hour battery life (rechargeable). Can link to two devices simultaneously. Noise cancelling not as good as the Bose, I'd say about 90% as effective. My only gripe is that they take up a good bit of room in my suitcase, but I'm normally only gone for 3-6 days at a time so it's usually a non-issue. They can be found on Amazon or B&H for under $150 (well under original retail price, mind).

For reference, I spend a lot of time in airplanes. Most of the time I am working (as a Flight Attendant), but I also commute via airplane (90 mins each way give or take), travel in my off time and of course there's the occasional trans oceanic deadhead. I have another pair of on-ear non-ANC Klipsch's that blow all of these out of the water with sound quality, but they don't do well in airplanes. Speaking of, I need to sell those...

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 It was also very annoying that Bose does not make a Bluetooth version with ANC.

They do now, the Bose QC35. Just released in the last couple of days.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:
Sony in ear noise cancelling headphones. I bought my first pair 16 years ago, still using them.

something must have changed at Sony, then- I got a pair of sports headphones from them, not cheap for what they were - lasted around 4 months. store wouldn't exchange them either, wanted me to travel around an hour from my home to get them 'fixed.'

Something has changed with all American/European/Japanese electronics makers.

His 16 year old Sony headphones were engineered for quality and then made in Japan.

Your new Sony headphones were engineered to be cheaper to manufacture and then made in China.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...dash-production.html

Dash headphones :

waterproof
noise cancelling
cordless
3 hour battery
built in 4gb mp3 player
carry case is a charger
can enhance ambient sound
activity tracker
different size earpieces
Quote Reply
Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-iconx/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a pretty good article: http://www.wsj.com/...eadphones-1466619528

I recently picked up a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort 20 and used them on a flight as well as my daily commute and they are great.
Last edited by: too.tall: Jun 23, 16 18:39
Quote Reply

Prev Next