Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powertap P1 pedals - ANT+ signal strength
Quote | Reply
I've been using these pedals for about 2 months and they have been all sorts of awesome. No issues at all in combination with my Edge 500.
That's until I got back in Zwift about a week ago. My setup is pretty basic - I have a mini-desktop with an ANT+ stick hooked up to a large screen monitor. There is nothing blocking the signal between the pedals and the ANT+ stick but there is obviously potential interference from the phone, fans, etc. I also wear a Garmin chest strap during the rides.

The first few rides have been plagued by Zwift suddenly dropping off power signal but not the HR signal. The weird thing was that the Edge was not recording any drops whatsoever. Eventually I found out that the desktop had to be moved within 3 feet from the pedals or closer in order for me not to have any drops. This is eerily similar to the issues with the early versions of Stages who had their ANT+ signal strength turned way down to possible extend the battery life.

Anyone else found the same issue? I am assuming that it'd manifest itself with TrainerRoad, etc.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 pedals - ANT+ signal strength [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the p1 pedals, collect the data on my 920xt and also run trainerroad via an ant+ stick. When I first set everything up I was getting unusable data. Anywhere between 5 and 50 dropouts during an hour long ride was normal. Through trial and error I discovered that my wifi modem was throwing interference to my pedal signal. I have since moved my set up to the other side of the basement and now the signal and data that I'm collecting is clean with hardly a drop out. I really don't know anything about signal strength, but clearly the signal is sensitive to the interference of other signals.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get a long USB extension cable and put the dongle under the bottom bracket. They are ~$5 at amazon...problem solved.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 pedals - ANT+ signal strength [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was thinking about something along those lines - but the sweat will surely destroy the dongle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Yeah I was thinking about something along those lines - but the sweat will surely destroy the dongle.

That's why baggies and tape were invented,

Hugh.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Put it in a ziploc
  • put it to the side a bit
  • use more fans...dripping sweat is a sure sign you have insufficient airflow

Mine is sitting about a foot to the side of my BB, a little past the point where my shoes could ever scrape it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also check if you have Garmin Express running or the old Garmin ANT+ agent or whatever it's called. They constantly poll the ANT+ and they will mess with apps such as TrainerRoad or Zwift etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 pedals - ANT+ signal strength [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That box does not have Garmin Express. Again, if something as messing with the ANT+ stick, then both the HR and the power readings would drop off. Since it's only the power that drops off, my suspicion is on the radio of the pedals.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The USB extension cable will probably fix it. It solved a lot of my ANT+ issues, and I also have a super powerful WiFi router about 2-feet away in my small workout room. How fresh are your batteries in the pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 pedals - ANT+ signal strength [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a physical ethernet cable from the mini desktop into the router. The batteries have maybe 30 hours of riding on them?

Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 pedals - ANT+ signal strength [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
I have the p1 pedals, collect the data on my 920xt and also run trainerroad via an ant+ stick. When I first set everything up I was getting unusable data. Anywhere between 5 and 50 dropouts during an hour long ride was normal. Through trial and error I discovered that my wifi modem was throwing interference to my pedal signal. I have since moved my set up to the other side of the basement and now the signal and data that I'm collecting is clean with hardly a drop out. I really don't know anything about signal strength, but clearly the signal is sensitive to the interference of other signals.

Have you noticed any issues with your 920 and P1 dropping signal while riding outdoors? Or was this really just an indoors interference issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:

Trojan sells dongle protectors in a variety of different colors. You can also get them liubricated, although I doubt this would save you any Watts.
Last edited by: turningscrews: Jul 28, 16 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Alex,

Try using this website: It'll give you a ton of insight as to why you're experiencing dropouts

http://www.zwiftalizer.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 pedals - ANT+ signal strength [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fixed all of the issues by getting an Amazon USB extension cable. No dropouts whatsoever after I used it to lodge the ant+ stick above the front brake. Wrapped a plastic baggie around it to prevent the sweat from corroding it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hang the dongle on my front hub so it is close to the pedals but not in sweat range too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap P1 pedals - ANT+ signal strength [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
rsmoylan wrote:

Have you noticed any issues with your 920 and P1 dropping signal while riding outdoors? Or was this really just an indoors interference issue?

I have not had any issues riding outside. Both training rides and races have given me clean data.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply