Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TSA Pre-check and NEXUS/Global Entry/SENTRI
Quote | Reply
Thinking about doing this, but want to hear the best option from those who have been there and done that. Read a couple of sites talking about pros/cons, ultimate guid to TSA etc.

I only fly internationally to Canada once a year, but from what I can gather NEXUS is the way to go for what I want: faster in the US and a like treatment in Canada.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: TSA Pre-check and NEXUS/Global Entry/SENTRI [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I traveled weekly to Canada for about 2 years and NEXUS was the best thing going. However, at the time (it may or may not still be true), Global Entry included NEXUS, so I just got Global entry. Upsides were:
-it lasted longer (again, at the time)
-counts coming in from any country, so when I had to go Europe, coming back was awesome

Both should get you TSA precheck automatically also. There was an in person interview involved, but it was more than worth it getting to walk past the customs line and just get beamed by the machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
Thinking about doing this, but want to hear the best option from those who have been there and done that. Read a couple of sites talking about pros/cons, ultimate guid to TSA etc.

I only fly internationally to Canada once a year, but from what I can gather NEXUS is the way to go for what I want: faster in the US and a like treatment in Canada.

Thanks

Global Entry automatically includes Pre-Check. Nexus and SENTRI do not, so you'd have to sign up separately. If you only fly to Canada, and only once per year, it just depends on whether it's worth $50 to you to have slightly shorter processing during that one trip.

I used to fly a lot internationally, and the Pre-Check plus faster/automatic screening through US Immigration was worth the nominal cost of Global Entry. Especially if I had connecting flights in the US, there were cases where I definitely would have missed my flight if I hadn't been through Customs/Immigration quickly.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other thing in Canada is that the Nexus/Global entry lines aren't always open, so if you are flying at off peak times you may get no security benefits, just clearing customs will be faster.

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had global entry (and the TSA pre that came with the membership) for about 4 years now. It been amazing. I fly domestic and internationally frequently and the time savings on security lines and customs has been amazing. I've not used it or the nexus program for trips to Canada but as a perk for general travel the global entry/ TSA Pre been well worth the investment.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: TSA Pre-check and NEXUS/Global Entry/SENTRI [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcrogers wrote:
I've had global entry (and the TSA pre that came with the membership) for about 4 years now. It been amazing. I fly domestic and internationally frequently and the time savings on security lines and customs has been amazing. I've not used it or the nexus program for trips to Canada but as a perk for general travel the global entry/ TSA Pre been well worth the investment.

This. Not sure it's worth it for one trip a year...but if you are a frequent traveler global entry is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nexus is cheaper for the same benefits mostly but there is a significant catch, being the interview. You'd have to travel to Canada or a border region airport for the interview. Global entry interview sites are statistically going to be closer to most peoples' location.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the Global Entry in anticipation for my upcoming honeymoon. As others have mentioned it includes TSA/PRE. You have to fill out of fairly short online information page. I BELIEVE there was a week or two approval for the online portion. Once you get that email that you were pre-approved, you have to schedule an in person interview where they digitally fingerprinted you and asked a series of pretty vanilla questions. That process took maybe 30 minutes. I will warn you, to find an open date for the in person interview, I had to schedule out 2-3 months. Be prepared for that if you have any trips coming up.

We were living in Houston at the time and flew back and forth between Hobby Airport & OIA quite a bit using it, the Precheck in those cases were a breeze especially around the holidays.
Quote Reply
Re: TSA Pre-check and NEXUS/Global Entry/SENTRI [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comments everyone appreciate it.
Quote Reply