Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

so you think you need a fancy bike to race?
Quote | Reply
think again

http://fittish.deadspin.com/pro-cyclist-finishes-race-on-a-fans-old-mountain-bike-1775012733
Quote Reply
Re: so you think you need a fancy bike to race? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friend had that bike in HS. Even in the early 90's it was old! All things considered, it was a strong, light frame that put up with a ton of abuse.

I wished brazed steel tubing would make a mainstream comeback. Some of those old road bikes were works of art.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone thinks that. But I'm sure he would have liked his quite a bit more. I raced with a Shimano tiagra 9 speed rear derailleur on my p4 when my regular one broke before a race. It wasn't the best thing ever but I'll take a bike that works over no bike anyday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone I know has done at least one group ride where someone has shown wearing a t-shirt or threadbare jersey and riding a 30 year old bike with downtube shifters and kicked some serious ass. I have a friend who is a former pro rider. He didn't ride on any big teams, and he never won any races, yet I have no doubt that I could go out on my favorite road bike, put him on a mountain bike, and he would drop me like a rock, especially on the hills--that skinny guy can climb.

You don't need a fancy bike to race, but it makes it nicer, and if you can afford it, there is nothing wrong with buying a fancy bike.
Quote Reply
Re: so you think you need a fancy bike to race? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
Everyone I know has done at least one group ride where someone has shown wearing a t-shirt or threadbare jersey and riding a 30 year old bike with downtube shifters and kicked some serious ass. I have a friend who is a former pro rider. He didn't ride on any big teams, and he never won any races, yet I have no doubt that I could go out on my favorite road bike, put him on a mountain bike, and he would drop me like a rock, especially on the hills--that skinny guy can climb.

You don't need a fancy bike to race, but it makes it nicer, and if you can afford it, there is nothing wrong with buying a fancy bike.

Couldn't agree more. I used to see a guy on a bike trail with an old steel frame, downtube shifters, wearing a t-shirt, cotton shorts, no helmet just flying down the path.

I have a 2014 cervelo p2 which, for me, is more comfortable than my road bike. It just feels like a smoother ride. I have a jamis ventura race road bike which is just entry level. It's nice and I enjoy riding it but the feel is so much different than my fancy bike.
Quote Reply