Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If Ironman were gone poll [dgran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgran wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
26% think tri would flourish or see no difference if Ironman were out of the picture. Really?

I'm one of the people in that vote category. In the near term it would be bad because people would speculate on the health of the multi sport market in general, but after some initial shock things would be better. The sport is ill-served that so many people unfamiliar with it commingle triathlon with ironman and the latter is a trademark aggressively defended by a corporation. Local smaller events would be better off not having Ironman siphon off so much money and resource into marque events. More races that cost under $200 to do are better for the sport than fewer races costing nearly a grand for entry alone. I realize that for some people the Ironman event suits them well and it is a great accomplishment. I just don't care for how it overshadows the rest of the sport and I would love to see multisport fans take back their sport.

Agree.
Quote Reply
Re: If Ironman were gone poll [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
3Aims wrote:
My head. I do think the majority get into triathlons to ultimately do a full.

Not in my Club.
Many people do a full once and then go back to Sprints and Olympics. Even more never do long distance and never intend to.

I suggest that we start doing away with this term "full" when referring to the IM distance, as if anything else isn't complete or fulfilling. Each distance has its merits and stands on its own. Going further/longer has some different challenges, but generally speaking it just means that you train more endurance and do the same stuff at a lower intensity.
Last edited by: dgran: May 6, 16 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: If Ironman were gone poll [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
moneydog59 wrote:
Didn't think he was talking down to you at all.

Was not directed at him, but some LC racers, as can been seen all the time by comments on ST. :)

Then why did you directly quote him?

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Last edited by: moneydog59: May 6, 16 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: If Ironman were gone poll [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the IM going away would be the coffin and the IM70.3 distance going away would be the nails. I really do. There are plenty of 70.3ers that will be IM'd from head to toe 365. They like the impression of people thinking they did an IM, but they only did a half.

I know this scenario is really hard to imagine (Ironman going away), but I really think the IM brand is the sole prop for the world of triathlon in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
3Aims wrote:
To give you a bit of info, I have only done 1 IM 70.3 race in almost two years. I mostly do short local stuff, Nats, did LC Qualifier. Just happen to be around those that live and die IMs.

In 20 years, about 180 races. Done 2 IM races. A few halfs. 90% of everything else has been Olympic distance, which I try to make them all USAT for the last 10 years.

Yea, there are a few IM or nothing folks I know. But most do not seem to race very long, let alone, very old. :)

I have nothing but respect for the folks who can do long stuff, let alone long stuff well. But to always talk down to us folks who know what fits in best with our life as if
we are second class folks, well, ...

Don't worry I know all about your race career. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
3Aims wrote:

Not in my Club.
Many people do a full once and then go back to Sprints and Olympics. Even more never do long distance and never intend to.
In a club of about 120 people I think there are probably about 30-35 who've done one or more full IM distance events and half of those have probably NOT done Ironman branded races. Most people in the club have done loads of Sprint and Olympic races and maybe some double Olympic or 70.3 but have no aspirations to IM distance and certainly don't put great value in the Ironman brand. This is not a reflection of their ability or dedication - a big proportion of these people are much better athletes than me.
I do think there are a contingent who come to triathlon specifically with an IM race in mind and little interest in anything else. It's probably a significant number but I don't think it's the majority.

FYI, I'm in Ireland not the US. Maybe the trends are very different.

I think your part of the world is almost a whole different triathlon sport.....and....it totally lives/stays neutral if IM dies. Look at the success of the ITU circuit and they seem to get tons of support. So fun to watch. Now look at the US market. I'm sure you've seen the Lifetime-like series come and go several times. It's just not in demand. No honor in just doing a sprint or olympic. It's almost like the client base is the exact opposite and likes the IM brand only.
Quote Reply
Re: If Ironman were gone poll [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hugely catastrophic. there is one other half in the country and then something between oly and half. all the rest is on the national circuit and sprint/oly. WTC only has (Monterrey, Cabos, Coz) IMs/halves in the country as it is and they are the only IM distance in the country. the events also bring a TON of local money in, so yeah, it would be catastrophic.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I would just go back to racing local Olympic distance races and the odd 70.3. I would switch to ultra marathons as well. Training for triathlon has really developed my love for running.

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
3Aims wrote:

Not in my Club.
In a club of about 120 people I think there are probably about 30-35 who've done one or more full IM distance events and half of those have probably NOT done Ironman branded races. Most people in the club have done loads of Sprint and Olympic races and maybe some double Olympic or 70.3 but have no aspirations to IM distance and certainly don't put great value in the Ironman brand. This is not a reflection of their ability or dedication - a big proportion of these people are much better athletes than me.
I do think there are a contingent who come to triathlon specifically with an IM race in mind and little interest in anything else. It's probably a significant number but I don't think it's the majority.

FYI, I'm in Ireland not the US. Maybe the trends are very different.

My experience matches yourss. I'd say only about 10% percent of the triathletes I know who have done 10 plus races (so not one and done crowd) have done a full distance. Probably 30% have done a 70.3. Of those who have done a full, most were not mdot races.

My n=1 experience.

Edit: and I live in San Diego
Last edited by: davejustdave: May 6, 16 17:12
Quote Reply
Re: If Ironman were gone poll [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
I think the IM going away would be the coffin and the IM70.3 distance going away would be the nails. I really do. There are plenty of 70.3ers that will be IM'd from head to toe 365. They like the impression of people thinking they did an IM, but they only did a half.

I know this scenario is really hard to imagine (Ironman going away), but I really think the IM brand is the sole prop for the world of triathlon in the US.
I have to disagree. With an hour drive I could race most Saturday's or Sunday's from end of May through September, short course. There's one HIM and one full near me. It would survive just fine.
Where you live could be different

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: If Ironman were gone poll [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree here, but I think all this anecdotal evidence really depends on location. I live in a small rural area that's near one of the longer lasting IMs. Despite having 3 70.3 distance within a 1.5 hour drive (one being one of the oldest 70.3s in the country), 3 Olympics and an entire sprint series, all the triathletes I know are either training for or have one the iron distance. If people find out I'm a triathlete, it's always "did you do THE ironman?" I think this would be different in a more urban setting with differing race availability.

I think the system would rebound eventually, but the glory for a lot of people would disappear at first imo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your preferred racing distance has little or nothing to do with why people here might talk down to you.
Quote Reply
Re: If Ironman were gone poll [FullEmpty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FullEmpty wrote:
Your preferred racing distance has little or nothing to do with why people here might talk down to you.

Ding!

Also, I'm not sure how anyone can mention Ironman's successful promotion of long distance racing without also mentioning the fact that they murdered non-draft olympic racing. That was a distance that was accessible for novices and a reasonable 2x per month challenge for the best competitors in the sport. I suspect that action alone has caused a lot to damage to the quality of the racing scene, and I suspect that damage would eventually be undone when those races were revived.

In the short term, there would be fallout, but in the long term, I suspect we'd get back to flourishing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what the polling would have been if done at say Beginner Triathlete?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

I have nothing but respect for the folks who can do long stuff, let alone long stuff well. But to always talk down to us folks who know what fits in best with our life as if we are second class folks, well, ...

I get your point Dave. The results might be far different at Beginner Triathlete. For some, ST is even more important to them than IM and they guard their status dearly.

If Dan did a poll of no more ST would the results be similar?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: If Ironman were gone poll [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I have nothing but respect for the folks who can do long stuff, let alone long stuff well. But to always talk down to us folks who know what fits in best with our life as if we are second class folks, well, ...

I get your point Dave. The results might be far different at Beginner Triathlete. For some, ST is even more important to them than IM and they guard their status dearly.

If Dan did a poll of no more ST would the results be similar?

That would be a great poll :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next