Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Alloy vs Carbon [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Id say get the 1300 bike, a disc cover, and a power meter you're good to go
Quote Reply
Re: Alloy vs Carbon [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have bought last year during a stock liquidition a new shiv elite a1 tt which is an alloy frame. It was cheap, £800, dont know how much they sell for in usd. The cockpit was recalled by specialized so they have replaced it for free with a zipp alumina. The sram apex groupset does the job. I have now put on hed jet wheels with a powertap hub. Love the bike. Not sure how much faster I could be on a more recent carbon frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Alloy vs Carbon [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
A huge part of it is long term vs short term. If I go with low end carbon I might have to wait till August, and anything mid grade would even be off season and I'd be riding my ghetto rigged allez.

It sounds like budget it tight this year and will likely remain tight in the years to come. So, here is how I would approach it...

I would create a 3-year plan toward getting the ideal bike I could three years from now with the total spend I would likely be able to afford over three years. Then, I would weigh that against my desire to have an upgrade bike for this triathlon season.

Path 1: Best possible bike three years from now, and you could survive on existing equipment this season. Optimize your first major purchases as you find best values, centering on the best frame. It might mean you do not get a bike until the fall.

Path 2: Best possible bike in three years, and also want a better bike for this year, then consider one of two possible sub-options...
A) Buy a solid frame now and build on that, or
B) Buy a dirt cheap used bike that you could resell later with minimal loss and follow #1 above

Path 3: Best possible bike now, for this season. Buy the cheapest acceptable frame, and then add fast wheels and cockpit. But this burns you long term.

You're right about that. Budget is tight this year, possibly even into next year as I have catch-up to play. And my bike isn't the only thing on a long list of upgrades. I've definitely considered getting something decent but entry level this year, and building around it, buying something pure evil a few years from now.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went the older complete bike route a few years ago (granted my first bike since I owned a huffy) and picked up a great specalized transition apex. Spent a few years working on fit, power, and upgrading components and getting a power meter. had a ball passing people on an older frame! Im now finally moving up to a new felt IA and dragging a lot of components to the new bike. I'd buy a decent complete bike, slowly upgrade, then get the frame you really want in a few years. I have a great transitionI'll sell you cheap!

To dumb to quit
Quote Reply
Re: Alloy vs Carbon [Chief2Slo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chief2Slo wrote:
I went the older complete bike route a few years ago (granted my first bike since I owned a huffy) and picked up a great specalized transition apex. Spent a few years working on fit, power, and upgrading components and getting a power meter. had a ball passing people on an older frame! Im now finally moving up to a new felt IA and dragging a lot of components to the new bike. I'd buy a decent complete bike, slowly upgrade, then get the frame you really want in a few years. I have a great transitionI'll sell you cheap!

I know what you mean. Before the street reminded me who's boss I was doing quite well on an older model alloy bike. Depends on how cheap. Part of the conundrum is I can afford a bike. Just when.... And how much beef I can put on it.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were you I'd set up a bunch of craigslist searches and just obsessively refresh them a few times each day. If you are familiar with sizing/fit, can be patient and can pull the trigger quickly when the right bike comes available there are some great deals to be had. However, with all but the most obscure things, great deals tend to sell almost immediately, so you have to keep on it. However, as a triathlete, doing something obsessively should come easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically my goal is to get more speed for less.

Then buy one of the good used carbon frames, use basic cheap components, decent wheels, and good aluminum bars.

If you get a screaming deal on a good aluminum frame that will work too, but they are rare. Trek made a few TTXs that weren't bad and some cheap SCs that were aluminum. Old P3 aluminums are almost collectors items now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next