Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coaches specializing in training older triathletes (or wannabes) with health issues.
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,
I'm looking for triathlon coaches who specialize in training people with major health challenges, such as diabetes, cancer, Marfan's, or as in my case, aortic disease. People are always asking me about training with such issues. Knowing coaches to send them to would be really helpful. I function a bit like a mentor, as I'm not a coach, and don't want to be one. Too busy training and living my life - coaches sure have to have lots of patience, that I don't have.
I wonder if such coaches exist?
I dole out the best advice I can, on my blog, Athlete with Stent, and the questions continue to trickle in.
I even wrote a post to help them decide if it was a good idea to do a sport or not: http://athletewithstent.com/...or-health-challenge/
Not sure how many have the patience to do it right.
Cheers,
kevin aka FitOldDog

Quote Reply
Re: Coaches specializing in training older triathletes (or wannabes) with health issues. [FitOldDog_Again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try contacting Lyon Marcus at triaction in nyc.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaches specializing in training older triathletes (or wannabes) with health issues. [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks PriCardo, much appreciated, kev aka FitOldDog
Quote Reply
Re: Coaches specializing in training older triathletes (or wannabes) with health issues. [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi again, PriCardo,
I found him and sent a message.
Much appreciated,
Kevin aka FitOldDog
Quote Reply
Re: Coaches specializing in training older triathletes (or wannabes) with health issues. [FitOldDog_Again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do know a coach that's a licensed Physicians assistant. However, she is newer to coaching in terms of experience but has great resources available. The key is integrating training with recommendation from a physical therapist and physician.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Coaches specializing in training older triathletes (or wannabes) with health issues. [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Motoguy128,
I'm a veterinary pathologist, 72 and still doing Ironman with aortic disease. The doctors said don't do it - I often ignore doctors (not the few I trust)!
My veterinary medical training certainly helps.
I don't think any coaches are very comfortable with this idea, of training 'diseased endurance athletes.' But endurance training is exactly what many of them need, especially many cancer patients.
I've been told by physicians not to give advice, so people go away with NO advice? I ignored that, publish my ideas, including my benefit-risk analysis approach. Have a disclaimer and LLC to protect me, and I just say what I think.
It comes down to the person's risk averseness, the nature of their disease, and family responsibilities.
Thanks for the response, and if you could pass my contact info your PA friend for her thoughts that would be great.
Maybe if you sent her the link to my benefit-risk page, to see if she is interested or has the time?
Cheers,
kevin aka FitOldDog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be me. I don't coach anyone who's elite. I pretty much only coach two groups of people: Those with crazy demanding unpredictable schedules that change constantly, making traditional training schedules nearly impossible to follow, and people with issues that limit their ability in some way, such as past injuries or chronic disease.

Personally, I've had chronic lyme disease since 2002, and still managed to race 5-7 triathlons per year until the disease sidelined me completely about a year ago, so I have first hand experience with what medically impaired athletes deal with.

I've coached a multisport athlete with fibromyalgia, a marathon runner who had bariatric surgery, an ironman athlete with an artificial hip, a runner with Addison's, plus others with various medical issues. In my fitness studio, we also specialize on helping those with limitations, so I have experience with personal training clients with just about every health issue imaginable.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin,

It is something that I will do but ONLY if they are local to me. I have a support team around me that aids in my process of "special needs" athletes.

On that note and based on my message above I think athletes that have "special needs" are best suited to working with someone OR people local to them. Too many variables to manage online

Regards,

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Coaches specializing in training older triathletes (or wannabes) with health issues. [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Kevin,

It is something that I will do but ONLY if they are local to me. I have a support team around me that aids in my process of "special needs" athletes.

On that note and based on my message above I think athletes that have "special needs" are best suited to working with someone OR people local to them. Too many variables to manage online

Regards,

And Dave, you are the best. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply