Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Texas 70.3 2017 Date??
Quote | Reply
Anyone know when Galveston is next year?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 70.3 2017 Date?? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sent WTC an email about this a day ago. I haven't received a response yet. Usually WTC is very good about inquiries into future event dates assuming there's a contracted date.

That stated, I don't think they have that figured out yet. Obviously the IMTX move to April is going to have some kind of impact on Galveston.

Rumors I have heard:

1. They will keep it first weekend in April and three weeks before IMTX because there's actually not as much crossover with athletes as people think.

2. They will move it to the fall around the same time they used to run the 5150 race which was the last week of Sept or first week of Oct. Problem with that is the Austin 70.3 that takes place in late Oct. As shitty as the Austin race is it stills sells well.

I also wonder how the problems with IMTX and The Woodlands could factor into this if WTC is thinking of moving IMTX. I recall hearing rumblings prior to the signing of the latest IMTX contract that Galveston had expressed interest in having IMTX move there. Not sure if any of that is true so take that for what it's worth. If I were WTC I'd tell The Woodlands to go fuck themselves and move the race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 70.3 2017 Date?? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Galveston had expressed interest in having IMTX move there. Not sure if any of that is true so take that for what it's worth. If I were WTC I'd tell The Woodlands to go fuck themselves and move the race.

Having it in Galveston would be much better. It's a much more cycling/outdoor friendly city than the woodlands.

Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if there was a Slowtwitch league there would be major injury and death occuring regularly.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 70.3 2017 Date?? [Txseaaggie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Galveston would be a great place for the full. I'd do that race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 70.3 2017 Date?? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also heard a rumor that IMTX and IMTX 70.3 would basically just switch dates, meaning Galveston in mid/late May. But I agree the IMTX clusterfuck probably keeps all options on the table for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 70.3 2017 Date?? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Galveston in late May would work.....tourist season / school is out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The full is scheduled for April 22nd in 2017.

I disagree having the full in Galveston would be an upgrade. The bike course was incredibly flat and boring and the run left a lot to be desired (assuming they doubled the current 70.3). Maybe they could find a better course, however, 'cause not sure they'll be willing to deal with the Woodlands shit-show any longer.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 70.3 2017 Date?? [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
The full is scheduled for April 22nd in 2017.

I disagree having the full in Galveston would be an upgrade. The bike course was incredibly flat and boring and the run left a lot to be desired (assuming they doubled the current 70.3). Maybe they could find a better course, however, 'cause not sure they'll be willing to deal with the Woodlands shit-show any longer.

That contract date is applicable only to The Woodlands. If they move the venue, then presumably the date is open to negotiation based on other events already on the calendar at the new location. I agree with you that Galveston is not an ideal location. I attended a conference there a few years ago along the beach ... apart from the small strip of hotels that we were at, it was pretty depressed and the gulf water looked like sludge. Regardless, the anti-bike sentiment in the Woodlands and elsewhere has probably ended the viability of that venue. My fingers are crossed for 1) a new IMTX venue and 2) another spring IM in North America (March/April).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how truthful but some posted on FB that they booked Moody already after Moody told them it was April 2nd.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 70.3 2017 Date?? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know how long the contract for IMTX to be the NA Championship is for? If it changes locations does that potentially negate it being the NA Championship as well?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas 70.3 2017 Date?? [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
Do you know how long the contract for IMTX to be the NA Championship is for? If it changes locations does that potentially negate it being the NA Championship as well?

I think there are 4 more years on the contract for IMTX at The Woodlands - which means absolutely nothing because WTC gives themselves plenty of room to get out if the race isn't working anymore...plenty of examples to prove that. As to the NA Championships, I don't believe there is any contract for that. I always assumed that is just WTC slapping the label on whatever race they want to be the regional championship and upping the prize money and slots.
Quote Reply