Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a similar note. Kids had both eaten their dinner Saturday night and I was going to let them have a little treat for pudding. Bananas and custard says I, wifey says - no they have already had treats today, give them a yoghurt instead. I point out that the yoghurt probably has as much sugar in it as the custard. Wifey laughs. I get the pots out and read the labels - sure enough, half a gram more sugar per 100g in the yoghurt (fromage frais) than in the custard.

All that said, I do feel that we should concern ourselves with the provenance of our food as well as the calorie content.

Mind you, I'd eat the donut. And then I might eat another one of those badlads. I love those mothers. Custard filled (it is better for you than some yoghurts after all) with chocolate on top. With a large glass of Rioja, if I've finished off my IPA. These are the main reasons I ride my bike for 3 hours on a Sunday morning, so I can EAT.
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
unless baked, donuts are fried, where the oil changes to synthetic type fats that the body cant recognized to break down. So these fats just collect in your body.... and you dont need to look obese to have clogged arteries. you may be fast and thin person now... but what happens in 5,10 years? My father was thin and had 3 heart attacks...

Lol what the fuck have you been smoking? Care to sight a peer reviewed source for any of this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat both, twice to be sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
synthetic wrote:
unless baked, donuts are fried, where the oil changes to synthetic type fats that the body cant recognized to break down. So these fats just collect in your body.... and you dont need to look obese to have clogged arteries. you may be fast and thin person now... but what happens in 5,10 years? My father was thin and had 3 heart attacks...

Lol what the fuck have you been smoking? Care to sight a peer reviewed source for any of this?

see liver and monkey study source.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/...he-chemistry-of-evil

but i see you want to convince yourself as long as you work off the "calories" you think you are fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
noofus wrote:
synthetic wrote:

but i see you want to convince yourself as long as you work off the "calories" you think you are fine.

I ask for a peer reviewed paper to support your absurd claim that frying something changes the oil into something you permanently store, and you throw a gizmodo article at me about transfats? You realize that's not the same thing right? Try again.

Also I'm generally one to eat healthy with only a bit of indulgence. I'm fully aware of the need to eat well. But I'm not going to throw out science for woo. Show me science.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not do a test.

on roughly the same empty stomach eat a KK and then log how you feel two hours later -- especially mood and head-ache and hungry again.

do the same with the muffin.

I'll bet you feel less yech after the muffin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None of my relatives/family are predisposed to heart issues like your family seems to be. It differs for everyone and genetics plays a huge key in this. I actually avoid fried foods on a regular basis anyway as I get heartburn pretty easy from the stuff. But I probably eat at least a donut a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprised that nobody in this thread has mentioned dietary fiber. Eat the muffin with the bran, raisins and coconut, and you kids will thank me when you get to be my age.
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [ONDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ONDave wrote:
Surprised that nobody in this thread has mentioned dietary fiber. Eat the muffin with the bran, raisins and coconut, and you kids will thank me when you get to be my age.

Several mentions of fiber on the prior page. A number of benefits...substitutes indigestible bulk for what would otherwise be caloric content, slows absorption of carbs, helps with regularity and character of bowel movements, plus appears to have some additional benefits related to cholesterol levels, colon cancer, and a few other health issues where there's correlation but causation is a bit harder to establish. But lots of other ways to get fiber into a diet other than eating a mini (or not so mini!) cake, I mean muffin.
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure there are lots of other ways to get dietary fiber. However the question was which was healthier, and the answer is the muffin with the bran, raisins and coconut.
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [ONDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ONDave wrote:
Sure there are lots of other ways to get dietary fiber. However the question was which was healthier, and the answer is the muffin with the bran, raisins and coconut.

Only if we assume other things are equal. The muffin almost certainly packs a significantly bigger caloric wallop, including more digestible carbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
This notion that individual foods can be identified as inherently healthy and unhealthy is a bit silly. You could eat yourself to gross obesity via just fruit (which is mostly sugar, plus water, some quantity of fiber depending on the specific fruit, and a little micronutrients). There are definitely healthy and unhealthy overall diets, though, hinging on macronutrient ratios, micronutrient profiles, and calories. Fruit--but also muffins or donuts--can certainly have a place in a healthy diet.

As for the artificial/natural or processed/unprocessed heuristics, those don't get you much leverage either. That home baked, "organic" (whatever that means) brownie isn't necessarily any better than that commercially produced donut.

The language we use to talk about nutrition seems really broken to me.

Yeah, its all based on "language". Always base what you put in your body on language. According to you, its incorrect to say a certain fruit or vegetable is healthy, and apparently there are all of these people getting fat from eating too many fruits and vegetables. So actually, if you eat less fruit and veg and add donuts, you are better off. Basically, you read some nutrition article you dont understand and now think a banana is the same thing as a donut because people describe bananas wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goregrind wrote:
niccolo wrote:
This notion that individual foods can be identified as inherently healthy and unhealthy is a bit silly. You could eat yourself to gross obesity via just fruit (which is mostly sugar, plus water, some quantity of fiber depending on the specific fruit, and a little micronutrients). There are definitely healthy and unhealthy overall diets, though, hinging on macronutrient ratios, micronutrient profiles, and calories. Fruit--but also muffins or donuts--can certainly have a place in a healthy diet.

As for the artificial/natural or processed/unprocessed heuristics, those don't get you much leverage either. That home baked, "organic" (whatever that means) brownie isn't necessarily any better than that commercially produced donut.

Yeah, its all based on "language". Always base what you put in your body on language. According to you, its incorrect to say a certain fruit or vegetable is healthy, and apparently there are all of these people getting fat from eating too many fruits and vegetables. So actually, if you eat less fruit and veg and add donuts, you are better off. Basically, you read some nutrition article you dont understand and now think a banana is the same thing as a donut because people describe bananas wrong.

Ha, well short of interpretive dance, is *is* all language. Heck, even if we could discourse via mindreading, it would still be language, and on this forum, it most certainly is.

I think many people's desire to label thing with the binary healthy/unhealthy label is more misleading than helpful. For example, people will sometimes ask, is fresh-squeezed orange juice healthy? And the answer is, in moderation it can certainly be part of an extremely healthy diet, but in excess you could drink yourself to gross obesity and other severe health consequences. So the question isn't really coherent. And orange juice--water, a bunch of sugar, a little fiber, a little of a few micronutrients--really doesn't look that different from Coke nutritionally, though most people can't get their heads around that.

Lumping fruits and vegetables is another category mistake (but then so is lumping vegetables into a single category). Grapes are basically sugar water, i.e. Coke. Spinach is basically fiber, with some digestible carb and protein thrown in. Those two foods are far more dissimilar than similar. You're never going to eat your way to obesity via spinach, so that one really is mostly a freebie. Grapes, on the other hand, laze around having lovely maidens feed you grapes, and you will get very fat (and suffer a range of other consequences enroute, too).

I have thought deeply about these issues because of a health condition that made them matter a lot more for me than they do for many others. And I find it interesting to discourse about them with others, as we are here. I like feisty discussions, but it sounds like you're actually emotionally frustrated by what I wrote. I'm sorry to hear that, maybe the better solution is for you to just tune me out?
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
synthetic wrote:
noofus wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I ask for a peer reviewed paper to support your absurd claim that frying something changes the oil into something you permanently store, and you throw a gizmodo article at me about transfats? You realize that's not the same thing right? Try again.

Also I'm generally one to eat healthy with only a bit of indulgence. I'm fully aware of the need to eat well. But I'm not going to throw out science for woo. Show me science.

i thought you were inquiring permanent storage part.

here is a study on high heat turning polyunsaturated fat into transfat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18680380

but you will probably find someway to troll on. so im done with you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
goregrind wrote:
niccolo wrote:

Ha, well short of interpretive dance, is *is* all language. Heck, even if we could discourse via mindreading, it would still be language, and on this forum, it most certainly is.

I think many people's desire to label thing with the binary healthy/unhealthy label is more misleading than helpful. For example, people will sometimes ask, is fresh-squeezed orange juice healthy? And the answer is, in moderation it can certainly be part of an extremely healthy diet, but in excess you could drink yourself to gross obesity and other severe health consequences. So the question isn't really coherent. And orange juice--water, a bunch of sugar, a little fiber, a little of a few micronutrients--really doesn't look that different from Coke nutritionally, though most people can't get their heads around that.

Lumping fruits and vegetables is another category mistake (but then so is lumping vegetables into a single category). Grapes are basically sugar water, i.e. Coke. Spinach is basically fiber, with some digestible carb and protein thrown in. Those two foods are far more dissimilar than similar. You're never going to eat your way to obesity via spinach, so that one really is mostly a freebie. Grapes, on the other hand, laze around having lovely maidens feed you grapes, and you will get very fat (and suffer a range of other consequences enroute, too).

I have thought deeply about these issues because of a health condition that made them matter a lot more for me than they do for many others. And I find it interesting to discourse about them with others, as we are here. I like feisty discussions, but it sounds like you're actually emotionally frustrated by what I wrote. I'm sorry to hear that, maybe the better solution is for you to just tune me out?

thats strange you have this health condition that lead your research to conclude fruit is equal to soda, and also telling someone that it is incorrect to recommend fruit over a donut or muffin, its safe to say you just dont understand what your reading, according to you if i have an apple and a banana, which would be about 35 - 40 grams of sugar its the same thing as if i had a coke, and youre still doing that thing junk food defenders always do here, that 3000 calories of fruit/veg is the same as 3000 calories and junk food, the poster of me is right, you are just trolling, although the original post in this whole thread was a troll too, so i fell for it
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on how close cars seem to be getting near to me these days I might as well enjoy a doughnut if offered. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The muffin probably.

I'm on a low carb diet and my favorite food to binge on is hazelnut butter. Tasteful and large amount of healthy fats (monounsaturated, far better than polyunsaturated). Almond or pistachio butter are close. Peanuts and walnuts are a no-no.

I usually mix it with cacao nibs. Expensive stuff but probably healthiest snack ever, give it a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [goregrind] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goregrind wrote:
niccolo wrote:
goregrind wrote:
niccolo wrote:

thats strange you have this health condition that lead your research to conclude fruit is equal to soda, and also telling someone that it is incorrect to recommend fruit over a donut or muffin, its safe to say you just dont understand what your reading, according to you if i have an apple and a banana, which would be about 35 - 40 grams of sugar its the same thing as if i had a coke, and youre still doing that thing junk food defenders always do here, that 3000 calories of fruit/veg is the same as 3000 calories and junk food, the poster of me is right, you are just trolling, although the original post in this whole thread was a troll too, so i fell for it

I probably shouldn't be providing more fodder for your insult comic routine, but all I'm saying is that when it comes down to it, what matters is what's actually in the stuff you're eating. And heuristics like it's "natural" or "organic" or "fruit and veg" strike me as more misleading than helpful. I chose an extreme example to illustrate the point: grapes, which really are just water, sugar, a little bit of fiber, and a very little bit of some micronutrients. So yes, an equivalent amount of grapes, or grape juice (which strips out the small amount of fiber plus some of the micronutrients), is nutritionally not very different from a can of Coke. In moderation, the grapes are still fine, you just shouldn't kid yourself that consuming a ton of them is very different than consuming a ton of Coke. With other fruit, again, the particulars matter. Apples have a ton of fiber that'll fill you up, so you're unlikely to consume a huge digestible carb load by eating them. Apple juice, though, is basically sugar water, it horrifies me when kids guzzle large quantities of that. None of this strikes me as rocket science, or even necessarily all that controversial, but I imagine a few words of it will raise your ire, so have at it.
Last edited by: niccolo: May 6, 16 9:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad someone is not bowing down to the all fruits are awesome dogma thrown in our faces by the fruit growers cartel. But seriously, fruit is deliciouser than vegetables because of all that wonderful sugar. Your claim that coke and grapes are similar was intriguing, and after looking up their caloric content, a kg of grapes equals a L of coke. A coke drinker does miss out on 6 grams of fiber and a few vitamins.

Personally, I would pick the muffin over Krispy Kreme, but if it were an apple fritter or a Bismarck, the muffin would be long forgotten.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [vinny311] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vinny311 wrote:
I am glad someone is not bowing down to the all fruits are awesome dogma thrown in our faces by the fruit growers cartel. But seriously, fruit is deliciouser than vegetables because of all that wonderful sugar. Your claim that coke and grapes are similar was intriguing, and after looking up their caloric content, a kg of grapes equals a L of coke. A coke drinker does miss out on 6 grams of fiber and a few vitamins.

Personally, I would pick the muffin over Krispy Kreme, but if it were an apple fritter or a Bismarck, the muffin would be long forgotten.

Of course grapes are healthier than coke... specially purple grapes (resveratrol)
Quote Reply
Re: Krispy Creme or Muffin [Daniscience] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniscience wrote:
vinny311 wrote:

Of course grapes are healthier than coke... specially purple grapes (resveratrol)

I get plenty of resveratrol from the red grapes I consume in liquid form after they have fermented.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your claim that coke and grapes are similar was intriguing, and after looking up their caloric content, a kg of grapes equals a L of coke.

I read this ^^ and could only think of this:

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vinny311 wrote:

Indeed. We've spent decades (well, centuries, really) breeding fruit to maximize its sugar content, and then people have the gumption to argue that fruit has "no added sugar." :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:
So i'm at work and feel hungry this morning. My group is selling Krispy Creme doughnuts as a fundraiser. Instead, i go to the cafeteria and see banana bread, muffins, and sugary granola bars. All made fresh. I buy a muffin (with bran, raisins and coconut) and when i come back to my desk my team says i'm fooling myself thinking the muffin is a better choice then the doughnut, and that it probably has more calories and just as much sugar.

Any thoughts?

Both?
Quote Reply

Prev Next