Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Not going to debate, but the cyclingnews tracker comment just after was "surely they will wait for the pink jersey" so at least one person thought they should.

I saw that. But it was a comment in heat of moment. No follow-up in any articles that I read and no complaints from SK camp. Not even the Dutch fans on the forums complained (that I saw). By the way, kudos to SK as he took the blame on himself completely. Looking forward to seeing him in the future.

Surely there is one person out there that thinks they should have waited -- but I don't see any real controversy.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stage. As is often the case, Giro is a fun tour to follow. Much better than the TdF usually. Nibs benefitted from having the strongest team by far (and their strategy was perfectly executed).

Now we have the Sky train to look forward to in July. Wish they would cut the teams to six riders. I think it would make for much more racing in TdF.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whew! descents to determine the Giro are too much for my old man heart. Nibali was going paint-to-paint-to-paint. that was flat out.

and that final climb was brutal. I thought he cracked, but no, it was simply a wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the best GTs in a long time; great thing about them is there's not over until it's over. Even though Nibali is subject to bouts of whining, the guy is a brawler to the bitter end. And that's impressive. There's something more epic about being on the ropes but rallying to deliver the knockout blow.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: May 28, 16 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
descents to determine the Giro are too much for my old man heart.

Well take some aspirin for your heart before you watch this: Nibali's descent in Lombardia last year. In addition to four GT victories, winning that he won a monument. And he did it in large part by taking 40 seconds over the group on this descent 11k from the finish.

Further on the subject of whether Nibali or others should have waited for SK after he crashed yesterday: Nibali is known for taking time on descents, it is is MO, thus, to argue that he should wait for others who crash or can't keep up, would take away his strength. Bike racing includes going down as well as going up.

________
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
One of the best GTs in a long time; great thing about them is there's not over until it's over. Even though Nibali is subject to bouts of whining, the guy is a brawler to the bitter end. And that's impressive. There's something more epic about being on the ropes but rallying to deliver the knockout blow.

x2 on that.

2 days ago, it was looking like it was all over for Nibali...and then suddenly fat lady decided to go back behind the curtain and delay the opera singing!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [moneydog59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moneydog59 wrote:
didn't Nibali undergo a battery of "tests" yesterday?

when Iglinski won LBL in 2012, Vino said the former did it "the Vino way." How prescient...

not sure what to make of the victory. Obviously the pedigree is there, but man, Astana...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Further on the subject of whether Nibali or others should have waited for SK after he crashed yesterday: Nibali is known for taking time on descents, it is is MO, thus, to argue that he should wait for others who crash or can't keep up, would take away his strength. Bike racing includes going down as well as going up.
Throw in cobbles, wet roads, technical finales, strade bianche, etc. Otherwise, we could just put everyone on a trainer and check their average watts after five hours.

The Giro was an exciting race with a deserving winner.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
H- wrote:

Throw in cobbles, wet roads, technical finales, strade bianche, etc. Otherwise, we could just put everyone on a trainer and check their average watts after five hours.

The Giro was an exciting race with a deserving winner.

Nibali pulled out a Vino move from Vino's descent to Gap when Beloki crashed and Lance went cross country (cut the course technically). Without Vino nailing the descent, Beloki never takes the risk and crashes. I agree, it's all fair racing. We could debate that when the yellow/pink jersey crashes the peloton waits, but that's only when the entire peloton is together. Once the race has broken apart, I don't think there is any unwritten code that Nibali violated.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
moneydog59 wrote:
didn't Nibali undergo a battery of "tests" yesterday?

when Iglinski won LBL in 2012, Vino said the former did it "the Vino way." How prescient...

not sure what to make of the victory. Obviously the pedigree is there, but man, Astana...

Astana, Katusha. About what we expected.

Thrilled for Joe D. He was super comfortable the whole tour and took it to them. Uran is going to be a heck of a domestique for Joe next year.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Thrilled for Joe D. He was super comfortable the whole tour and took it to them. Uran is going to be a heck of a domestique for Joe next year.

I agree with all that you said!!! Great to read Joe talking about feeling better during the 3rd week of a GT than the first 2... I think he really showed up this last week--it's the week of racing I've been waiting for him to have-future looks great.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great 3 weeks of racing! Some great results coming for American riders.
Thanks to everyone who joined the Velogames league!
I will get one going again for the Tour De France.

Sucks for Nizzolo yesterday, I am mixed on him being relegated.

Kruijswijk falling on Saturday was due to his bike handling, so I expected no one to wait.
When outside source causes a crash, then there is a argument, but Nibali doing what he does best put pressure on Kruijswijk. He took the curve too fast into the snow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Nibs benefitted from having the strongest team by far (and their strategy was perfectly executed).

For those counting at home, that's two grand tours in a row for Astana, on the strength of perfectly executed team tactics at the expense of an unexpected competitor with a weak team.
Quote Reply
Re: The OFFICIAL 2016 Giro d'Italia thread - SPOILERS [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
H- wrote:
Nibs benefitted from having the strongest team by far (and their strategy was perfectly executed).

For those counting at home, that's two grand tours in a row for Astana, on the strength of perfectly executed team tactics at the expense of an unexpected competitor with a weak team.

Dopers run by a doper. They're lucky to have a license. Fuck em.
Quote Reply

Prev Next