Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: pricey sunglasses - what am I missing? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I'm agreeing with Kroppduster. I will try a pair if these. Thanks for the passionate suggestion. Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback. I really am trying to be a different athlete and share products that I love. I am even toying around with the idea of dropping all sponsors next year - I want to help people find the best products out there. I am a perfectionist, although one of my fav quotes of all time is: "perfect is the enemy of excellence".

For me stress is a huge part of the equation of healthy living and growing as a triathlete. Maybe there are people out there that don't bat an eye when they break or scratch a $300 pair of sunglasses but for me it does and I don't need that stress.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: pricey sunglasses - what am I missing? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are in the UK, I've found that Velochampion are about as good as anything I've tried. Fourteen quid a pair with 3 sets of lenses.

That said, in a race I'm wearing my Javelin with the visor on. Don't you guys know that most decent helmets these days are faster with the visor on?!
Quote Reply
Re: pricey sunglasses - what am I missing? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my Gerlach's in today. For the price they are pretty impressive. Spring hinged arms, THICK lenses, with good sight lines. They vented pretty well on a run with minimal fogging. So all in all, not bad.

One con: if you're a "big" person (6', 205lbs) these may be a little small. Think "Asian fit". Now, they fit, and they were snug like I like them, but the lenses and frames are a "smidge" small.

Either way, thanks TG for the tip. They'll go in the rotation!
Quote Reply
Re: pricey sunglasses - what am I missing? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Got my Gerlach's in today. For the price they are pretty impressive. Spring hinged arms, THICK lenses, with good sight lines. They vented pretty well on a run with minimal fogging. So all in all, not bad.

One con: if you're a "big" person (6', 205lbs) these may be a little small. Think "Asian fit". Now, they fit, and they were snug like I like them, but the lenses and frames are a "smidge" small.

Either way, thanks TG for the tip. They'll go in the rotation!

Glad that you liked the recommendation. For the price they can't be beat.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have an expensive bicycle, nice clothing, and you are not riding like a fred, presumably.

Performance brand sunglasses (or $4 safety glasses lol) may protect your eyes, but they won't protect your soul from me thinking you look like a goober.

Just pay the $120 and get a decent set of oakleys, rudys, whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: pricey sunglasses - what am I missing? [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
You have an expensive bicycle, nice clothing, and you are not riding like a fred, presumably.

Performance brand sunglasses (or $4 safety glasses lol) may protect your eyes, but they won't protect your soul from me thinking you look like a goober.

Instead you can feel like a sucker for paying $120 for plastic frames that cost ten cents to make and lenses that cost a forty cents to make.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:

The difference is that an expensive bicycle and nice clothing makes you faster, this is measured aerodynamics. Sunglasses on the other hand will not make you more aero, that is at least according to the research Specialized did.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:

We're in a sport wearing lycra, peeing on ourselves, eating goo, dumping water on our heads, wearing giant clown shoes, alien helmets, etc. we all look like goobers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an optometrist so this is something that I at least know about.
I have worn a lot of cheap sunglasses. I am hard on sunglasses. I lose them, scratch them, throw them in bags without using a case, and would rather replace them than worry about taking care of them. The optics of cheap sunglasses were never a problem for me, and I don't think they are for a lot of people, especially those with uncorrected refractive error who aren't using their prescription to begin with.
However, I have gotten so I REALLY like the comfort of my Rudy Projects. So much that I have started taking care of my sunglasses and even using proper lens cleaning cloths. I doubt I ever go back to the cheap ones
Quote Reply
Re: pricey sunglasses - what am I missing? [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the thing. I really can't tell if sunglasses work until I have worn them for a week or more. If the cheap ones don't work, I am out a few bucks. Hard to find a good selection of expensive ones and if they don't work, I am usually out a lot more.

I bought a pair of Oakley's on sale once. They were scratched within a few months and the rubber on the frames started to disintegrate a few months later. Even though I paid half of retail, I would have been better off getting a new pair of safety glasses every month.
Quote Reply
Re: pricey sunglasses - what am I missing? [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much (most?) of the time when people buy "Oakleys" on sale for half of retail, they aren't really buying Oakleys. There are a lot of fakes out there. I'm not saying that's the case with you, but I've been buying Oakley sunglasses for nearly 25 years, and I've never had a similar experience.
Quote Reply
Re: pricey sunglasses - what am I missing? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Much (most?) of the time when people buy "Oakleys" on sale for half of retail, they aren't really buying Oakleys. There are a lot of fakes out there. I'm not saying that's the case with you, but I've been buying Oakley sunglasses for nearly 25 years, and I've never had a similar experience.

Which is all the more reason just to avoid pricey sunglasses. You really don't know what you are buying, the companies have spent a mint on marketing, instead of attack counterfeiting in the first place. The problem with counterfeits is now you don't really know if you are really getting spec sunglasses that may not meet the specific UV or durability tests.

Quote Reply
Re: pricey sunglasses - what am I missing? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suppose it is entirely possible they were fakes. I didn't expect them to fall apart that quick. I got them off Steep and Cheap which I always assumed was pretty reputable as a big name US based website.
Quote Reply

Prev Next