Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Listen! Your CCW is for self-protection, NOT to make you a deputy sheriff. [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
I'm pretty hotheaded and impulsive. This and being a fairly capable hand to hand fighter much of my life has seen me find my way into many fights.

When I carry, I keep a much cooler head because I know they consequences of my actions could result in death and much unwanted police attention. So I would argue that many if not most gun owners who decide to carry follow a similar way of life

Why would argue that a person who is generally scared and submissive with no fighting skills and runs away from any fight would react the same with a gun as a person who is generally a capable fighter and aggressive? Why would you assume that all "Hot headed people" will act the same as well?

You're arguing that "Most people" can understand and act according to future consequences. I'm saying that is simply not the case and that people often react on emotion rather then thinking about rational consequences. Ones emotional state when carrying a weapon is different then when one is not. Again you can argue this is not the case and that "I'm not". Great, I do not think most people are. Why would "Adding a gun" suddenly give people this ability when they have never had it before?

In many cases, you aren't even legally allowed to carry in places that tempers escalate among stranger. Places like bars, night clubs, strip clubs, sporting events, courts, etc.

And I've heard on this very board "Hey I don't have to pay attention to those "No carry" signs." You want to tell me that is the mindset of a person who thinks of future consequences?

~Matt

Those who pay no attention to the no carry signs weigh the consequences absolutely. I guarantee you all those who would carry into a movie theater with such a sign would not into a gov't building or school. Most would not into a restricted place like a bar or strip club. Why? Most states, like Arizona and Florida state that a property owner is legally allowed to post the sign, if they become aware you are armed, they can ask you to leave. If you refuse, you can be charged with criminal trespass, a misdemeanor offense.

To many, this is easy to reconcile against not being able to protect themselves. While most would be better off going to businesses that don't have such signs, corporations tend to be influenced by short term idiocy. Like I said last week, when I first moved to AZ, no guns signs were everywhere I went. It would be next to impossible to legally carry here. As it turns out, many of these signs were new given the heat them came with twiddle dee and twiddle dumb posed with guns at chipotle. There was a short term wave of protest by anti-gun efforts that were successful. Well as that heat died down, many of these companies removed such signs. Even chipotle, which had the highest profile. I suspect chipotle needs to do whatever it can to regain lost revenues. While I don't carry into such places, I don't have a problem with people who do. I view it more as risk mitigation on the companies part.

When I attended a couple active shooter compliance courses at two different companies with two different instructors, the same thing came up. Right now, you have employees who are carrying guns for various reasons. Most for legitimate reason of personal protection against an active shooter. This is obviously not in line with policy, but the company has to be prepared if a good employee uses a gun in legitimate self defense at work. One referred to the backlash a pizza company suffered after a pizza man was robbed and defended himself, only to be fired. That company may have had a policy, fired the man, but hired him back later and downplayed the anti-gun policy.

You see, business generally don't care. They don't want to encourage people to carry within their store, but they seldom ask people who prove to be armed to leave unless another customer complains. If you are responsible and carry concealed, there isn't a problem. Then if a customer shoots a robber, they get the best of both world. They can say they don't allow weapons, but this person was there to save the day. If a crime happens, they can say, look we have the signs, but unless we check every visitor we can't stop them.

At least that is how I view it. So let me summarize. Yes, property owners have the right to ask you to leave. The consequences are minimal so many view it as worth the risk. But most companies don't care, it is really just to satisfy the losers who irrationally fear guns being in the hand of lawful citizens. I respect a company wishes and not carry, but if they aren't necessary for my needs, I don't visit. But I don't particularly care if other people violate their policy, and I don't think they do either.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Listen! Your CCW is for self-protection, NOT to make you a deputy sheriff. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guarantee you all those who would carry into a movie theater with such a sign would not into a gov't building or school.

Because there are metal detectors that stop them at the door :-) If they thought they could get away with it they most certainly would.

Most would not into a restricted place like a bar or strip club. Why? Most states, like Arizona and Florida state that a property owner is legally allowed to post the sign, if they become aware you are armed, they can ask you to leave. If you refuse, you can be charged with criminal trespass, a misdemeanor offense.

But as you state later "Many would". This is the point you're completely missing in that all people are not the same. We can argue whether most or not most would do "X" or "Y" but the fact remains that some portion are going to do both.

That is my point. While YOU may be "More cautious" "Some" will be on a power trip and pull their weapons or become involved in situations they should not and would not sans weapon.

We can argue all day about what percentage, that is not my point, my point is that this is clearly a negative to CCW. It may be a negative worth the cost, it may not, but it does not change the fact that this is a negative and one that pro CCW would be benefited in realistically accepting as reality.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Listen! Your CCW is for self-protection, NOT to make you a deputy sheriff. [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. Metal detectors would perhaps have a nut more negative impact on business than allowing guns to bein with.

Yes we could debate. But we know from CDC reports commissioned by our anti-gun president that defensive gun uses far outweigh murders. So it would be fair to say if somebody legally carrying every day in every city used a gun to act out on poor impulses, the benefits would still outweigh the negatives.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no military background.

I carry a gun probably 80% of the time I am able.

I have never felt the urge to shoot anyone.

Since getting my CCW, I am probably more aware of my surroundings whether I am carrying or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Listen! Your CCW is for self-protection, NOT to make you a deputy sheriff. [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never felt the urge to shoot anyone.

Now I know you're lying. I don't even have a gun and I run into at least a couple people a day I have an urge to shoot :-)

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I imagine depraved and violent ends to a lot of people I encounter daily. But there is a difference between fantasy and reality. ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Listen! Your CCW is for self-protection, NOT to make you a deputy sheriff. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:

That is correct. If I were in a convenience store, and the clerk or other customers lives were in jeopardy, along with mine, I can intervene. This is a section of the castle docterine that deals with a private or public space. If it came to a domestic dispute, I would wait for the police.

That's all reasonable. But the issue goes beyond just legality. There's also training and judgment. I know an officer who had an off-duty incident, while CCW. It was an armed convenience store robbery where two armed men told all everyone to get on the ground, and held a gun trained on the cashier. The off-duty officer didn't intervene. He had his hand on his gun in case he felt something was about to go south, but he didn't want to *start* or provoke shooting around other people. Instead he became a "professional witness." The on-duty police caught the guys hours later in a much safer situation.

I worry about how many CCW folks would have decided to play cowboy in that situation. Like the 11 year-old kid from a few days ago! It might have been legal to have played cowboy - if someone's pointing a gun at someone, their life is credibly in danger. Doesn't mean it's the best judgment to escalate the situation.

I applaud the cop in that situation for having professional restraint. Better for him and everyone else, not a perp, to go home to their families. I hope I am never faced with a similar situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Listen! Your CCW is for self-protection, NOT to make you a deputy sheriff. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Yes. Keep it holstered unless an armed attacker is threatening you or your family. For everything else there is 911.

What is this CCW class some of you speak of? Here we walk into a cop shop, fill out an application, have fingerprints taken for a background check, pay like $35, and a week or two later we get the permit in the mail. No test required. No class. Nothing.

What state?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Listen! Your CCW is for self-protection, NOT to make you a deputy sheriff. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But we know from CDC reports commissioned by our anti-gun president that defensive gun uses far outweigh murders. So it would be fair to say if somebody legally carrying every day in every city used a gun to act out on poor impulses, the benefits would still outweigh the negatives.

And that is a viable argument, much more viable then "People who carry guns don't ever act irresponsibly and or shoot people or act in a way that they normally would not have had they not had a gun".

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody argued that doesn't happen. In fact I stayed it certainly does. Just not to the blood in the streets level Bloomberg and his ilk would have you believe. And certainly works on the opposite spectrum as i anecdotally described. But certainly any perceived risk is well
Outweighed by the benefits for which ample evidence supports.

Quote Reply
Re: Listen! Your CCW is for self-protection, NOT to make you a deputy sheriff. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Georgia and that is pretty much the process. It take about six weeks here to get the judge to sign the permit and send it.
Quote Reply
Re: Listen! Your CCW is for self-protection, NOT to make you a deputy sheriff. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
Yes. Keep it holstered unless an armed attacker is threatening you or your family. For everything else there is 911.

What is this CCW class some of you speak of? Here we walk into a cop shop, fill out an application, have fingerprints taken for a background check, pay like $35, and a week or two later we get the permit in the mail. No test required. No class. Nothing.

What state?
WA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I totally get your point, my immediate reaction to this was if I was in the situation is that I would try to get the plates of the vehicle, but my primary concern would be stabilizing the gunshot victim first.
Of course we don't know if others were doing that, but ...

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply

Prev Next