Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone else get this totally legit seeming request for coaching?
Quote | Reply
I've received a couple in the ast that turned out to be scams of some sort, though no idea what the eventual nefarious purpose was.

Anyone else get this one yet?

"Hope you are having a great day today..I am looking to hire a
qualified Triathlon trainer for my 17 yr old boys (Twin) as they
will be visiting your area in their college quest .their names are
Josh and Joe and I want you to brushed-up with their skills in
any areas they might have difficulties with as I intend to have them
improve in this field . If you are available to take care of the
tutoring , kindly get back to me with your rates and confirm your
location so that I can proceed with arrangements.?"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get this totally legit seeming request for coaching? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you posted this.

Received it last night around 2:40 AM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get this totally legit seeming request for coaching? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they coming in from Nigeria?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forward them to me. They can subscribe to my newsletter.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/I'm_coach_of_the_year!_P5933739/?page=unread#unread

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get this totally legit seeming request for coaching? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Forward them to me. They can subscribe to my newsletter.

That's a great idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Offer them a trucker hat and make sure they know you require referrals.

I'd want to be pod upfront with funds wired to my account. If they ask why just say you're stuck in a foreign country with no money and need to get home.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: May 3, 16 5:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
though no idea what the eventual nefarious purpose was.
Most likely payment will be offered in the form of bogus cashiers check/bank draft/money order for more than the amount required with the caveat that you refund the difference.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does that really sound totally legit to you?

It's written by someone who doesn't introduce themselves, has poor English, is very vague in terms of what she wants, does not address you by name, and then asks you to confirm your location after telling you her sons are visiting the area to look for a college.

She uses strange terms like "college quest", so her kids can "brush up" on their skills in any areas, as she "intends to have them improve in this field" and then she wants to proceed with arrangements?

I see about a half dozen red flags in a short paragraph. I'd say a 90% chance this came from Nigeria and 10% from another country in Africa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
I've received a couple in the ast that turned out to be scams of some sort, though no idea what the eventual nefarious purpose was.

Anyone else get this one yet?

"Hope you are having a great day today..I am looking to hire a
qualified Triathlon trainer for my 17 yr old boys (Twin) as they
will be visiting your area in their college quest .their names are
Josh and Joe and I want you to brushed-up with their skills in
any areas they might have difficulties with as I intend to have them
improve in this field . If you are available to take care of the
tutoring , kindly get back to me with your rates and confirm your
location so that I can proceed with arrangements.?"

What about that e-mail seems "totally legit"? Just reading it sends off all kinds of warning flares to me....broken syntax, poor word / synonym choice, etc.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get this totally legit seeming request for coaching? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do people in this forum really need pink letters to understand sarcasm???

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recd. that one about a year ago but after going back and forth I realized it was some sort of scam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you kidding!? I emailed them back immediately to make sure I got first dibs.
You hear that! They're my clients! Twins are always faster!

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get this totally legit seeming request for coaching? [Givingchase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Givingchase wrote:
Are you kidding!? I emailed them back immediately to make sure I got first dibs.
You hear that! They're my clients! Twins are always faster!

Me and my suspicious nature!

<shakes fist>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are scammers this stupid? (Suppose we should be grateful for that?) I just got flooded by fake Amazon ship confirmations. It says "You're Amazon order have been dispatched". And I got like 10 of them in a 30 minute window. All they had to do was copy and paste a real Amazon order, send it once, and include their own malicious payload into it. They can't even do that correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I received one of many from some guy named Muhammed who somehow tracked me down and realized I was the sole beneficiary of an estate worth millions. I didn't know him but was assured we were close. I was getting ready to quit my job and order a nice sailboat but just before I walked into my bosses office, I asked him where to send my bank information.

He didn't even respond.

I've tried a few times to try and reel them in but have never been able to so I often wonder how people can be scammed if I can't even when I try.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get this totally legit seeming request for coaching? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do understand he was being sarcastic, right? Right?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone else get this totally legit seeming request for coaching? [TheJeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheJeff wrote:
Do people in this forum really need pink letters to understand sarcasm???

Sorry...saracsm detector has been on the fritz lately. Need to get it onto the shop for a calibration.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply