Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Business owners- tell me about merchant accounts
Quote | Reply
Long story short- I have had a few different merchant services over the years to accept credit cards. Not sure why, but somehow a merchant was dropped and we defaulted back to Intuit as a merchant; we use Quickbooks at work. Contracting company.

Anywho- shopping to get better rates and apparently everyone uses a piggy back software in order to upload credit card data to Quickbooks. It is not as simple as just typing it directly into Quickbooks. Next, the merchants are asking for tax returns, personal guaranty, and my social security number. We are an S Corp, so I don't see the logic in that... Especially for a service that charges $19 a month or less and heck, they collect the fees as we swipe the credit cards. Where is the risk? Am I missing something?

School me slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Business owners- tell me about merchant accounts [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does that $19 per month include?

Why not Square? I'm on the 2.9% + $.30, but I think there is a flat $200 per month with no other fees option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Square also but we only have 10-15 credit card charges a year as we usually receive payment by check or ACH.

Intuit was nice enough to let someone set up a merchant account in my name (wasn't me), let them charge somebody's card $6900, and then go after me in collections. To further the fun, our local police department sent me a kind letter indicating they were too busy to deal with this. It took me 30 minutes to find out what card and which bank the deposit went to. I guess Intuit had to solve the problem after I filed the police report.
Quote Reply
Re: Business owners- tell me about merchant accounts [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Square seems like more of a mobile solution and for less volume. We do not charge a ton, but probably enough to make it more seamless.

$19 a month is basically just having the account and getting the statement. Fees with most merchants range from 1.69% - 3% depending on the card the customer uses.

I'm just trying to find the best option and hoping someone out there can chime in.

I charge maybe $60,000 - $75,000 a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a chargeback gets filed, the merchant provider needs someone to go after. If someone reverses a charge and the CC provider agrees, then they typically take the funds from the bank account tied to the merchant account. If they can't get the funds from the bank, they go after you. That's why they want your SSN, personal guaranty, etc. It's not for the $19 per month or the fees.

I don't know if there is a way around the requirements, I haven't had a merchant account in about 10 years but it was a requirement for us as well even though we were an LLC. We sold the business and a few months later, my wife tried to use her Discover CC and it was declined. We called Discover and they said they had cancelled the card and we'd get a letter in the mail explaining why. Got the letter and they had cancelled it due to "fraudulent activity" tied to the account. Had no idea what it meant and upon further investigation, it was due to the merchant account. After we sold the business, we closed the merchant account and bank accounts tied to it as the new owner had their own setup. Someone filed a chargeback 4 months after we sold the business and we missed the window to respond as the business was moved out of state and the letter was sent to the old address. So they tried to take the money from a bank account that was closed and when they couldn't get the money back, they shut down my wife's Discover Card because her SSN was tied to the merchant account and the customer who filed the chargeback used his Discover as well.

Very convoluted, but if possible, I would try to avoid having your personal information tied to a business merchant account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My consulting company specializes in this. Pm me. Based on being in a similar situation as a controller with multiple locations using different merchant service companies, Cost and administratively, I like heartland. They are a little cheaper, they answer the phone and their docs are easy to reconcile.

We used heartland for our venues if legacy issues didn't prevent it, they can bridge most pos systems. They also do payroll and I use them for my personal company.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Last edited by: TheForge: May 3, 16 8:25
Quote Reply