Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looking for a modified "Ironman" distance race
Quote | Reply

Does anyone know of any alternative long course race with a slightly shorter bike course?
I enjoy the longer races but my IT band would like a little less biking.
I'm looking for something in between the standard ironman distance and the Isoman. I would definitely give
Isoman a try if it was here in the US.
My ideal race if IT band was better would be 5k swim, century bike, marathon run.
So anything like that or maybe even a 7 - 10 k swim, 80-90 mile bike, marathon. I still want a challenge but
I would prefer a little less miles on the bike.

I vaguely remember hearing of some races with different distances 5-6 years ago. Kind of tired of the same old
distances. Some different distance options would be nice.

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a modified "Ironman" distance race [polo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Texas

More seriously, ITU O2 and O3 courses look like they're more your thing - 3k; 80k; 20k, or 5k; 120k; 30k

They're rare though, as most LD RDs have moved to WTF's distances of HIM and IM

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Last edited by: GrimOopNorth: May 2, 16 21:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was certain this was going to be about IMTX :)

Hmm, most of the "non-standard" courses are bike-heavy if anything, not run-heavy...

How about a swimrun?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
polo wrote:

Does anyone know of any alternative long course race with a slightly shorter bike course?
I'm looking for something in between the standard ironman distance and the Isoman. I would definitely give
My ideal race if IT band was better would be 5k swim, century bike, marathon run.
So anything like that or maybe even a 7 - 10 k swim, 80-90 mile bike, marathon. I still want a challenge but
I vaguely remember hearing of some races with different distances 5-6 years ago. Kind of tired of the same old

Unfortunately, I think that my response being only the 3rd you've received in three days kind of signifies the reason we have so few "balanced" triathlons. I think most tri-geeks hate swimming so much that the idea of having to 4.5 to 6 miles will just never fly with them, as they just do NOT like the idea of having to do 6-10K workouts in the water. So, for now all we have is IsoMan plus the swimrun races, but in swimrun you have to have a partner who swims and runs somewhere in the same zip code as yourself, which can be a challenge to find:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
google for "4/120/30" or "4k/120k/30k"

And you'll find a few in europe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot the obvious one.

the folks who put on the redman triathlon are hosting itu long distance worlds, last time I asked they had about 300 citizen slots for the non-championship race.

http://www.friendsofmultisport.com/event/world-championship
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge Penticton is 3/120/30 this year and if you're from the USA, you'll get a favourable exchange rate.
Last edited by: Double-Double: May 4, 16 21:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
polo wrote:

There is also the option of entering an IM, and getting some consulting from Julie Miller on how to cover less ground on any leg and disappear under the radar....until you are not!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a modified "Ironman" distance race [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
polo wrote:

Unfortunately, I think that my response being only the 3rd you've received in three days kind of signifies the reason we have so few "balanced" triathlons. I think most tri-geeks hate swimming so much that the idea of having to 4.5 to 6 miles will just never fly with them, as they just do NOT like the idea of having to do 6-10K workouts in the water. So, for now all we have is IsoMan plus the swimrun races, but in swimrun you have to have a partner who swims and runs somewhere in the same zip code as yourself, which can be a challenge to find:)

For me, I don't hate swimming but as far as workouts of the 3 sports it is the most challenging to schedule proper workouts because of equipment (ie pool). for bike and run, I can just step out the front door for my workout or for bike hop on the trainer. For swimming, the pools near me have limited scheduled lap swimming times and they don't open early or stay open late.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a modified "Ironman" distance race [Double-Double] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double-Double wrote:
Challenge Penticton is 3/120/30 this year and if you're from the USA, you'll get a favourable exchange rate.

You should be more specific in your answer: 3k/120k/30k.

The OP probably wouldn't like a 3mile/120mile/30mile race.

:-)

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be a little shorter overall than what you are looking for, but in between 70.3 and 140.6 is the Ad Astra 100. I believe much of the course includes the old KS 70.3, which is an excellent venue.

http://www.legendendurance.com/legend-free-state.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not quite what you are looking for but Alcatraz is more or less 1 part swim, 2 parts bike, 2 parts run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mango Monster has slightly longer swim and slightly shorter ride: swim 2.5 miles, bike 110 miles, run 26 miles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried a bike fit at a PT clinic? They may recommend toe out, possibly switching to Speedplay Zero with a longer spindle, cleat placement, cleat shims, etc.... Lots can be done to make your IT band happy.
Quote Reply