Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my fit + keep sliding forward
Quote | Reply
Hi

Last year got som advice here and really helped me a lot.
Been to 2 bike fits but but not that happy with reasult. So hoping for some advice here.
Here is a pic and short video from end of a TT race. I did set a new FTP record over 30min so there is power there.
Just just sitting uncomfortable and keep on sliding forward all the time. I gona wear out a pair of pants if i'm going like this on next IM race!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t68mx_pP6ZY

Since video I have lowered front end 5mm

This is after my last bikefit with one of Swedish most respektable bike fits.
There theory is a lot toe down and they raised my saddle about 4cm (almost 2inch).
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit + keep sliding forward [SweMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did someone fit you in this actual position or did you make change yourself.

the quick answer

your aerobars orientation need to be tilted up so your forwarm are level with the ground. They are pointing down at the moment.

then, the simple way will be to get a longer stem, take off 1 or 2 spacer and move the saddles forward a little and rising it .

doing all this simultaneously will keep your comfort and power up there but will allow you to be more planted on the bike...more solid without falling forward. it will reduce stress in upper shoulders and also make you more aero.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple questions:
1. which saddle is that? And uncomfortable how? Saddle too hard? Pressure in the wrong spots? Nose of saddle uncomfortable?
2. Are you arms level or pointed down?
3. How does toe-down feel?
4. Any knee, hip, back pain?

I didn't know "toe down" was a theory--that sounds weird to me. You should pedal how you pedal, and not adjust to anything (IMO). I honestly can't say if your saddle is high, but it's definitely not low. Maybe someone else has a keener eye.

Just based on the video it looks like you're uncomfortable on the saddle, so your hips are rotated back. Meanwhile, sounds like you're holding the bars in a way that you're pulling your body forward (maybe to relieve the pressure on your bum and bits), which is really putting you on an uncomfortable part of the seat. But depending on how you answer the above questions, that theory could be bunk. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo said what I was thinking. Basically 1) Get more forward. Way more. 2) Get lower. 3) Forearms level. I'd start by getting a longer stem, and slamming it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No expert, but I've hade troubles with forward sliding as well.

Except from what's been pointed out by others already, I see two things that helped me.

- Make sure you have skeletal support on the armpads, meaning the weight should be put on the elbow and not the underarm. I know people prefer this differently, but that worked for me.

- Tried an ism saddle or similair to help you tilt your pelvis more?

And some swedish special tips:

-TÀnk pÄ var du lÀgger vikten nÀr man gör plankan. DÄ blir det pÄ armbÄgsspetsen och inte underarmarna. Jag tycker man ska ha samma stöd av tempopinnarna. Ska man köra ironman kan man inte spÀnna underarmarna i 5-6 timmar.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit + keep sliding forward [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my fit i got, I lowered my seat just a little.

I just noticed in the video that it really look like the bars are tilted down. They actually are leveled looking right att the bike.
Will try to raise them a little. If I raise them more my neck gets tens.

Will get a longer stem, The orginal is rather short 100mm (just measured).

Thanks for you're input.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit + keep sliding forward [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Its an Fizik Tritone, unused a feels a little hard. Pressure is right spot not geting numb or anything. I did one race last year and had no problem, just got the bike week before . May rideing to comfy during the winter on an another (road) saddle.

2. They should be leveled, but just noticed that they look going bit downwards.

3. Not naturally.

4. No pain, on top of my knee but think it might be from running.

This bike fit wants me to point my toes down as much as possible. Not useing any power att all pulling upp. Just pushing sya from 2-6 o'clock.
I'comeing from Moutainbikeing where haveing a good circle pedaling was important. so feel strange.

My first Bikefit was aiming for heeldown. So bit confused and my wallet is a lot thinner thats the only safe thing i know, hehe

Thanks for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nickwhite & Inikaklet

Thanks for input.

Will get a longer stem and slam it.

Mr Kakel, I notised now that my forearms arent where they should be.
180km like this and i would probaly end up cramping in my shoulders.

Great advice with "plankan" =)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SweMike wrote:
I just noticed in the video that it really look like the bars are tilted down. They actually are leveled looking right att the bike.

If bars themselves are level, then arms will be angled down, like yours are. That's because you're resting on top of the armrests at the elbow, but you're holding the extensions out by the end. So the extensions themselves have to be angled up a bit for forearms to be level.

FWIW, my experience (I'm a fitter) has also been that arms angled down leads to sliding off the front of the seat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SweMike wrote:
This is my fit i got, I lowered my seat just a little.

Will try to raise them a little. If I raise them more my neck gets tens.

Will get a longer stem, The orginal is rather short 100mm (just measured).

Thanks for you're input.

the aerobar extension are not what matter in term of been horizontal... it s your forarms.

so...a horistontal extension will give a downtilt forarms. a uptilf aerobar will give a horizontal/level forwarms.

As for producing stifness in the neck...that s because you need more reach as was mention in the first post. your longer stem will fix this issue and you will find yourself a lot more relax on the bike.

As for hell down or toes down....dont think about it....pedal as natrually as you can and never think about it again. there is very little to not technic to pedaling a TT bike.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then my first comments stand. Angle bars up a bit. And pedaling should just be comfortable. Over engaging your calves by toe down pedaling makes no sense. Adding stress is pointless.

I think you're sitting like a road bike. Others have chimed in on fixing some of that.

Sorry the bike fitters took your money. Been there. J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanx to everyone!
Really appreciate it. My body is not made for TT, hehe

Sometimes you just look at some small points and miss the big ones.

I found a 110mm Stem (have 100mm now) and change it tonight.
Raise the angle of bars a little, and maybe forward the saddle little.
I think the hight should be ok if im going for the natural bike possition and skipping the toe down.

There is a local TT race tomorrow might giv it a try with new setup :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the same problem with sliding forward, since if did an almost good job on dialing myself in, the fitter tilted my adamo road up in the front and angled my extensions up a little more.
When workin on the saddle with a special pad to measure the pressure of the whole area it was kinda weird, when I felt more pressure in the front it was way more even and put than when the nose was tilted down.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like you have absolutely zero forward rotation with your pelvis. I wouldn't worry about your arms until you get the saddle and pelvis fixed.

Looking at you on that bike, I might argue that an Adamo/noseless saddle set further back might allow you to roll your hips forward thus putting you back in an upright position.

Keep in mind, the advice you get here is only as good as the pictures and video you submit.

A good video on a trainer in your race kit with race gear/watts would be ideal. I would take everything people have advised here with a grain of salt until you can load up some better video.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit + keep sliding forward [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, i'm just looking for advice / which direction to move.
I have so much problems getting IT right on the bike. And the bike fits dident do any good.
Next time i think about a biuke fit i'd rather donate money to this forum :).

I got a movie from riding my trainer tonight. Going around my ftp in effort.
Maybe not best form, been working with The Swedish Duathlon Championship all weekend = no sleep and walking around all days.

I have put on longer stem 10mm, and moved my sadle forward 5mm, and droped spacer down to 5mm from 10.

Here is video1:

Video2 (little low angel):

Thanks everyone for putting in time helping =)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super crammed up.

Chance that bike might be too small. Need more extension so you can actually rotate those hips forward. I still think you are missing that. Saddle height will be easier to determine once you get your hips opened up.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could move the arm pads one step forward, do you think that might help.
Just thinking of what I could do with what i got. I could get a 120mm stem also.

This feelt much better in my shoulders and upp backpart than the first video (rideing ouside).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely look for a 120-130. Rolling forward more is going to extend your upper body but you can't do that crammed up.
I will say, there are good fitters out there.

If you lived in Greenville SC I could tell you exactly who to see and who to stay away from. Talk to your friends who have had good fit experiences.

100 miles with 7800 feet of climbing and I comfortably spent a lot of time in the pads.

I'm not a fitter. Just my opinions

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget "level." Try tilting your arms up:

http://www.ero-sports.com/...r-more-comfort-speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking your time.

I will try with a 120mm and se how it feels. 110mm felt alot better.

Even if i'm not getting a perfekt fit, I have a lot better one now, happy for that. =)

I just went to one of the most respected fitters in Sweden.
Did not get what I expected. So hard to choose one. A lot of people recommend the last one i tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it mostly roadies suggesting this fitter?

My experience, they are road bike fitters who try to do tri fits and are clueless. Or just not as skilled as someone who specializes in the tri side

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply