Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: About time - moving forward with selective service for women [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, looks like I'm going to be the token conservative on this one. I have a problem with women in the draft for exactly one reason:

Who will take care of the kids when they get drafted?

Discuss.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: About time - moving forward with selective service for women [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Hmmm, looks like I'm going to be the token conservative on this one. I have a problem with women in the draft for exactly one reason:

Discuss.

I'm pretty sure they won't draft two parents. So if the women is the better candidate, then the father can parent.
Quote Reply
Re: About time - moving forward with selective service for women [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Discuss.

Nobody's drafting the kids. Even if they were drafting the kids, then the military assumes responsibility of taking care of them.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: About time - moving forward with selective service for women [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figure you'd have to put in provisions for parents with children.

I'd always thought things like "no women in the draft" or "women and children first," should be about providing for the children and not about women being weak. Now, *obviously* on average women are less physically capable than men, but that doesn't mean that can't perform some role in the military.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Discuss.

After initial training (indoctrination and specific job training), most military jobs do not prevent active parenting from one or both actively serving parents unless they are deployed or assigned unaccompanied orders. In cases of deployment ( or a war which would "necessitate" a draft ), each military service member must execute his/her approved family care plan which identifies a prioritized list of people that will provide primary care for all dependents if the service member is not able to. This list typically includes grand-parents, relatives, or close trusted friends. Military service members without a viable, approved family care plan are not considered deploy-able.

Another 'easy' response to your question is the father.

Both cases require pressing the I-Believe button on some fundamental assumptions (available father, available social support network), none of which I think are insurmountable for the majority of people (even though not possible for 100% of the population, I recognize).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I figure you'd have to put in provisions for parents with children.

I'd always thought things like "no women in the draft" or "women and children first," should be about providing for the children and not about women being weak.

Funny that - I thought it was to do with men being expendable (as in women can bear children, so need to be protected, whereas men can be almost wiped out but a few men could, in theory, repopulate the tribe/nation. Just don't lose all the men or there's no-one to impregnate the remaining women)

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply

Prev Next