Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Body jerking when falling asleep
Quote | Reply
Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. After exercising ,morning or evening, as I fall asleep, I am awoken as my body feels like it has literally jumped off the bed. Not sure it's that dramatic, but it sure feels like it. Anyone have any idea what causes this ?
Quote Reply
Re: Body jerking when falling asleep [slalomdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I experience it quite often and it's perfectly normal, don't worry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: Body jerking when falling asleep [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asellerg wrote:

Ok thanks, any ideas why it only happens on days when I have exercised. Guess I am curious on what chemically could be going on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure, sorry. I've never put any effort into correlating it with anything for me personally. I exercise pretty much every day so it would be hard to rule that out :-).

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get these too, normally only after very intense workouts (intensity or duration) or am very very tired (like 24 hours plus awake).

The other fun one is 'exploding head syndrome' https://en.wikipedia.org/...loding_head_syndrome

The human body is weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had these jerks forever, usually when I'm really tired. Really pisses my wife off, she'll be sound asleep and I'll scare the shit out of her when it happens. Happens a few times a night with me I think.
Quote Reply
Re: Body jerking when falling asleep [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
Had these jerks forever, usually when I'm really tired. Really pisses my wife off, she'll be sound asleep and I'll scare the shit out of her when it happens. Happens a few times a night with me I think.

I guess it physically must happen then, I want sure if I was imagining it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me too. I assumed that was why we use the verb "fall" instead of saying, "I was beginning to sleep." Unless you enter sleep mode while standing, you don't fall at all.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the others it happens to me too.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is normal, and it is called "sleep onset myoclonus".

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Body jerking when falling asleep [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh dude, I twitch hardcore as I fall asleep and in light sleep. My gf has been making fun of me for years. Many years ago I was dating a girl and as I fell asleep I straight threw a haymaker and hit her in the face. I felt utterly horrible.

I often feel like i scare people on airlines as I enjoy redeyes but as I fall asleep I twitch pretty brutally, often enough to totally wake myself up.

You're all good though, as others have said, no imminent danger, unless you punch your girlfriend in the night and make her cry. We broke up some months later, but not because I punched her I swear.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: Body jerking when falling asleep [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
Oh dude, I twitch hardcore as I fall asleep and in light sleep. My gf has been making fun of me for years. Many years ago I was dating a girl and as I fell asleep I straight threw a haymaker and hit her in the face. I felt utterly horrible.

I have punched my wife in the back on multiple occasions...We even joke now on nights after hard training days that she may just want to put a pillow in between us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me to occasionally. Used to happen a lot when I was in school and I would start dozing off in class and then BAM! I would practically jump out of my desk. I felt embarrassed, but then justified it as it not being my fault the teacher was boring as all hell. Step your game up, yo. Like Ben effin Stein talking Hawley-Smoot tariff act and stuff like that.

Nowadays my wife tells me I'm either running or riding in my sleep. Kind of lying on my side and my legs are moving up and down. Guess it's a good way to get some extra mileage in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slalomdude wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. After exercising ,morning or evening, as I fall asleep, I am awoken as my body feels like it has literally jumped off the bed. Not sure it's that dramatic, but it sure feels like it. Anyone have any idea what causes this ?

the human body is an electrical system. Nothing to worry about unless you take it to the inevitable conclusion that, like all batteries, one day it will die...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
asellerg wrote:

"Hypnic Jerk" Great name for a band

Should get on a double-bill with REM

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Body jerking when falling asleep [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I lived in Philly and was running 40-50 miles a week, I used to wake up in the middle of the night with an uncontrollable urge to go for a run, a walk, a ride, anything just to get out of the house.

Of course, it may have had less to do with Restless Leg Syndrome, or over- or under-training, iron levels or vitamins, and more to do with trying to escape from the misdiagnosed bipolar coke whore I was living with at the time

[at least she didn't try to kill me, so I thank her for that]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty normal. Even Kramer experienced it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF_jThhciOQ

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. My grandmother had epilepsy, I assumed it was a mild case that seemed to be getting more common with age. Well that makes me feel better.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the title and figured slow twitch would have given you the right scientific name already.

That said... It's really apt for me today as the past two nights I've had extreme versions; not of falling, but of spiders/creatures rappelling toward my bed. I recently lost my last grandparent and have been pretty stressed and upset, but the clarity of these projections has been alarming. To the point of diving out of bed in terror to hit the light switch. The body truly is a weird, weird thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most common one for me... i'm just starting to dream, and in the dream i'm walking down a sidewalk, i see a crack in the sidewalk coming up and still, when i get to it i trip on it and BAM jump up. it feels like my whole body spends a split second in midair though i'm sure that's not really the case. my wife just laughs. nine times out of 10 i've fallen asleep before her anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done that for decades and never thought much of it other than how annoying it was. It's good to see that I'm not alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have it happen every once in a while. Last time I had it was two months ago a week after I had my meniscus repaired. The jerk was so hard I tore the stitches they just had put in for the repair resulting in me having another surgery coming up to attempt the repair again.

Train to race. Race to win.
Quote Reply
Re: Body jerking when falling asleep [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happens often. I always just called it "my body shutting down for sleep". It knows it's time to rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Body jerking when falling asleep [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for sharing- made my morning
Quote Reply