Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NHL draft lottery
Quote | Reply
Suck it NHL. Suck it long and suck it hard.

Now, I can't wait to watch Matthews be the biggest bust ever.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: NHL draft lottery [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many people actually watched. I tuned in with 5 minutes to go because I wanted to watch the Penguins game but they spent a full hour, building up to the "drama" of showing the top 14 picks in the NHL draft. No one picked anyone mind you, it's just the order of picks.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL draft lottery [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't watch. Followed it on Twitter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary Bettman seems intent on making hockey as boring as baseball/football.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was watching. Loved the results! We got second. But being so close to one and not getting it sucks. Especially since the Leafs got it. Now all the sports stories will be about the stinking Leafs.

BB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they sign Stamkos this summer in addition to taking Matthews first overall, could be a fun team to watch again.

Speaking of Stamkos, I was at a fundraiser tonight for our town's youth hockey program and one of the silent auction items was one of his signed sticks. Tempting but out of my price range.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO JETS GO!!

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now, I can't wait to watch Matthews be the biggest bust ever.

If you believe the Hockey Commentators, he's only a step or so behind McDavid, and thus, a 1st or 2nd line starter.

A bust? Maybe - if you follow the Leafs fortunes, or really misfortunes for the past 20 years, it would work out perfectly in tune with history, that the team would land the #1 pick only to see the guy be a total bust!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: NHL draft lottery [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you believe the Hockey Commentators, he's only a step or so behind McDavid, and thus, a 1st or 2nd line starter.

Edmonton is a classic example of the problem with thinking the #1 draft choice will automatically lead to a Stanley Cup. With some of the celebrations I saw from Toronto, I think a lot of people forget that hockey is not a solo sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edmonton is a classic example of the problem with thinking the #1 draft choice will automatically lead to a Stanley Cup. With some of the celebrations I saw from Toronto, I think a lot of people forget that hockey is not a solo sport.

Indeed, one great player does not make a team.

I want to believe Shanahan & Co. that this will be a long build for the Leafs. That it will be 4 - 5 years in the making. That they will build from the bottom up, with young talent they have achieved through the draft, and slowly brought up. That it will be sustainable, year over year. That ounce back at a higher level the Leafs will ounce again be a consistent contender in the league.

But of course you'll forgive the forlorn Leafs fan, because they have heard it all before. I think the one thing that is actually driving this is money (in a positive way), for the first time ever, due to many changes, the revenue from the Leafs that MLSE makes is down, or has been flat for a very long time. I know that TV numbers & revenue is down massively, and I am also guessing merchandise revenue is down as well. The only way to reverse both these is to put a winner on the ice.

The catalyst for this - the success the Blue Jays and Raptors have had with winning teams. The hysteria that a deep Stanley Cup run, that the Leafs would create in Toronto and further abroad, would massively dwarf that of the Jays and Raptors!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: NHL draft lottery [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Indeed, one great player does not make a team.

I want to believe Shanahan & Co. that this will be a long build for the Leafs. That it will be 4 - 5 years in the making. That they will build from the bottom up, with young talent they have achieved through the draft, and slowly brought up. That it will be sustainable, year over year. That ounce back at a higher level the Leafs will ounce again be a consistent contender in the league.

But of course you'll forgive the forlorn Leafs fan, because they have heard it all before.

Not like this, this team has never been stripped down and rebuilt like this before. The right President, GM and coach, building up through the draft, if MLSE stay's out of it I give it 5 years and we'll have a contender.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL draft lottery [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the record, the Shanaplan has never said that it would take 5 years. They said it could take as long as 5 years. Which could also be said, it could happen faster.

Matthews and Stamkos coming in next year? If we can get a goalie this shouldn't take 5 years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, the Leafs finally won something... and so the TOR fans are already planning the parade route down Yonge St.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: NHL draft lottery [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought my tickets! Boom! The drought is over. The cup is ours in 2016!!!

Quote Reply
Re: NHL draft lottery [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, the Leafs finally won something... and so the TOR fans are already planning the parade route down Yonge St.

The Leaf fans I know are already insufferable and the Stanley Cup playoff, the ones they were eliminated from months and months ago, are just starting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I wonder how many people actually watched. I tuned in with 5 minutes to go because I wanted to watch the Penguins game but they spent a full hour, building up to the "drama" of showing the top 14 picks in the NHL draft. No one picked anyone mind you, it's just the order of picks.

By contrast, in 2005 Mario Lemieux didn't think the Penguins would actually win the draft (which was I believe was held during the day) so he took his daughter to a doctor's appointment and didn't have access to a tv. Didn't even know they won until people started blowing up his phone. Of course, some people would say he knew all along...
Quote Reply
Re: NHL draft lottery [llewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In that draft the Leafs made a great choice. Tukka Rask. Of course, they followed that up by trading him for Andrew Raycroft. Oy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
In that draft the Leafs made a great choice. Tukka Rask. Of course, they followed that up by trading him for Andrew Raycroft. Oy.

In fairness at the time Raycroft was a much better goalie, at the time no one knew he would crash and Rask would become Rask.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL draft lottery [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bullshit. Raycroft had one good season. His second season he sucked ass. Then we traded for him and he continued to suck.

It is in our top 3 worst trades ever.

#1 is draft pick that became Scott Neidermeyer for Tom Kurvers.

The other is Russ Courtnal for John Kordic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John Kordic may have sucked...but he sure knew how to party!
Quote Reply
Re: NHL draft lottery [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kordic was a goon in every sense of the word. An absolutely atrocious hockey player and I think that he took a perverse pleasure in his roll as team goon.

Quote Reply