Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [brymon68] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brymon68 wrote:
Quote:
Updated sequence of events:

April 16th - 1 month out from race day - WTC doesn't have a bike course.
April 17th-18th - Historic flooding in Houston area
April 22nd - WTC sends out an email that they have finalized details on a 112 mile course
April 25th-ish? (beginning of next week) - Bike course gets leaked but looks too ridiculous for people to take serious. It includes two loops on a bike path that people said is very narrow and would be unsafe.
April 29th - WTC sends out an email saying the course is 94 miles due to bike path being washed away, map is the same ridiculous one leaked earlier in the week.
April 29th - Ironman Texas FAQ page and email stipulate no refunds, transfers, or deferrals at close of business. [/font]
April 30th - Open letter to Andrew Messick posted on Slowtwitch forums. [/font]
April 30th - May 3 - Hate mongering amongst Slowtwitch members ensues, resulting in over 6500 views and 170 posts. [/font]
May 3rd - Ironman Texas issues email stating deferments allowed[/font]

Mission accomplished

Good job brymon!!! Particularly good work posting a list of events so the facts are highlighted, and not wasting your time arguing with the peanut gallery. Once I received the email from Ironman organizers, I immediately transfered to another full ironman event. Thank you for your time writing the letter and posting it here.

After millions of years of selective breeding, here we are!
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
noofus wrote:
I kinda am laughing at the people in the IMTX FB Group that are suggesting an 18mi ride after finishing. All seem to be first timers, so clearly have never actually experienced what it is like to run a marathon after completing the rest of this stuff. I can't imagine anyone is going to have the desire to go ride 18 extra miles after finishing this race considering the likely weather conditions.

That suggestion on the IMTX FB page was one of the most idiotic things I have ever read... and there's a bunch of dumbasses that think they're going to do it.

I think it would be pretty funny if The Real Starky set up a tent with a bunch of bike trainers in it, yelling at people to come "finish the race." I'd do it if there was beer involved. (I say that here on ST, but in reality I'd wuss out after 122.6.)
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aztri81 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
noofus wrote:

I kinda am laughing at the people in the IMTX FB Group that are suggesting an 18mi ride after finishing. All seem to be first timers, so clearly have never actually experienced what it is like to run a marathon after completing the rest of this stuff. I can't imagine anyone is going to have the desire to go ride 18 extra miles after finishing this race considering the likely weather conditions.

That suggestion on the IMTX FB page was one of the most idiotic things I have ever read... and there's a bunch of dumbasses that think they're going to do it.

I think it would be pretty funny if The Real Starky set up a tent with a bunch of bike trainers in it, yelling at people to come "finish the race." I'd do it if there was beer involved. (I say that here on ST, but in reality I'd wuss out after 122.6.)

Hell I would do it for shits and giggles, and a beer... But I wouldn't do it because I felt like I needed to make up extra distance. :)
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aztri81 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
noofus wrote:

Awesome suggestion and I agree. Would be funny.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [Irix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irix wrote:
brymon68 wrote:
Quote:

Updated sequence of events:

April 16th - 1 month out from race day - WTC doesn't have a bike course.
April 17th-18th - Historic flooding in Houston area
April 22nd - WTC sends out an email that they have finalized details on a 112 mile course
April 25th-ish? (beginning of next week) - Bike course gets leaked but looks too ridiculous for people to take serious. It includes two loops on a bike path that people said is very narrow and would be unsafe.
April 29th - WTC sends out an email saying the course is 94 miles due to bike path being washed away, map is the same ridiculous one leaked earlier in the week.
April 29th - Ironman Texas FAQ page and email stipulate no refunds, transfers, or deferrals at close of business. [/font]
April 30th - Open letter to Andrew Messick posted on Slowtwitch forums. [/font]
April 30th - May 3 - Hate mongering amongst Slowtwitch members ensues, resulting in over 6500 views and 170 posts. [/font]
May 3rd - Ironman Texas issues email stating deferments allowed[/font]

Mission accomplished

Good job brymon!!! Particularly good work posting a list of events so the facts are highlighted, and not wasting your time arguing with the peanut gallery. Once I received the email from Ironman organizers, I immediately transfered to another full ironman event. Thank you for your time writing the letter and posting it here.

I went to Active's site to look at the transfer options but I didn't go all the way to the end of it to see what the cost was going to be if I was to transfer.
How much roughly does it cost to transfer to another open race? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [gwk100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the cost is $0.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
trubow11 wrote:
How do you sell over $2,000,000 in race registrations and not have proper permits for a course 6 weeks prior to an event?

Because many locations will not give final permits until fairly close to an event. They can not get permits one year ahead of time, the towns just do not do that. I am willing to bet that Ironman applied for permits as soon as they could.

^^^ thank you. NOLA 70.3 had the same issue. Permits often can;t get issued until the calendar year. Municipalities are required to have public hearings and council members are compelled to listen to constituents and vote based on balancing what they want, and what is in the best interests of the community. Then make deals and compromises as needed. This is how it's supposed to work. Sometimes it can cause a big mess. But in the end, the taxpayers in that community are getting what they paid for, for better or worse. For myself, this situation put the nail in the coffin for my perception of the Houston area. It wasn't very high to begin with after visiting there for 4 days. I never found a good place to train that didn't; require driving 40-60 minutes out of town in plenty of traffic. The weather was miserable to say the least. But with all that, the positive seemed to be the reputation of the very active, sports focused Woodlands area. To me, that's permanently tarnished. That locals can't be inconvenienced for 1 Sunday in May, is disappointing.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
noofus wrote:

If I was planning to finish my first IM inTexas I'd probably be considering doing the extra 18 miles, but I'd do them before starting the swim, likely solo on a trainer at my hotel or home before heading to the start. I wouldn't care whether anyone thought I was a dumbass or it was idiotic. Plenty of folks think anyone that does any race discussed on this forum is a dumbass and/or an idiot, so what's new?
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: May 5, 16 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I believe the cost is $0.

Yes, that is correct. I transferred out for a variety of reasons, none related to the course, and since I will be there anyway due to non-refundable travel I get to volunteer! So far the transfer was $0. We'll see if there is an active.com fee attached when we get our registration email on Monday for the new event.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
noofus wrote:

I don't mind if people choose to take a jaded view of WTC. Personally I disagree but that is fine. The moment you start telling participants on the course that they haven't finished the race (even though the joke should be obvious) you have crossed a line. So I don't think this is a good idea(!) and I think it would lead to a confrontation. Especially if there is beer involved!
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
3Aims wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
noofus wrote:

I don't mind if people choose to take a jaded view of WTC. Personally I disagree but that is fine. The moment you start telling participants on the course that they haven't finished the race (even though the joke should be obvious) you have crossed a line. So I don't think this is a good idea(!) and I think it would lead to a confrontation. Especially if there is beer involved!

Jaded view? Telling participants they did not finish the race? Crossing the line? Confrontation?

Because a guy has a few trainers setup in the back parking lot having fun with some people who want to ride a few extra miles?

I think it's a great way to do the exact opposite of what you suggested and would make for great fodder if people really wanted to complete 140.6 miles that day. I think most would be really humbled when they get on that trainer after racing 122.6 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Jaded view? Telling participants they did not finish the race? Crossing the line? Confrontation?

Because a guy has a few trainers setup in the back parking lot having fun with some people who want to ride a few extra miles?

I think it's a great way to do the exact opposite of what you suggested and would make for great fodder if people really wanted to complete 140.6 miles that day. I think most would be really humbled when they get on that trainer after racing 122.6 miles.

yes, I am telling you that people will not get the obvious joke and if someone yells at people to "finish the race," someone will get pissed. And to make this perfectly clear: I am NOT that person. My response would be "no thanks, but can I have a beer!"
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
3Aims wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
noofus wrote:

Gosh, can't we have a little fun anymore? Just a little bit? How about instead TRS could set up said tent/trainers and call it the "18-miler tent" and have people donate to a charity relating to the participants or miles done on the trainers.

I'm guessing that will not be enough to not offend someone, because that is the safe-space world we live in nowadays, where even the suggestion of beer is offensive. Regardless, as I mentioned above, if you are racing, I wish you luck on the awesome adventure. And if 120.6 just isn't enough or is as allegedly as offensive as my "jaded" post, sign up for another race. Yes you put a lot of time, money, and effort into this race, but you were bound to sign up for another one at some point. After all, Ironman is an addiction. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you and I agree 100%. I am not offended. I am saying someone will be. And someone will take it too far. Maybe I am the jaded one!
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [trubow11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trubow11 wrote:
Deh20 - when you are a key board warrior and hide behind your anonymity -the need to defend isn't really there.

All the negative comments have carried no substance and have been more of a personal attack when none of these people even know me.

The post was launched to start a discussion and generate views about something that irritates me with WTC and how they handle their race registrants. Do you think they would listen or give credence to letter if I contacted them directly? Mission accomplished.

The people that have replied negatively to the post have said nothing to defend WTC or address the issues I have raised in the letter. The simple fact is that the WTC are has not and will not deliver the goods or services that people have paid for and have had shitty customer service for weeks leading up to a race.

How do you sell over $2,000,000 in race registrations and not have proper permits for a course 6 weeks prior to an event?

Would you say that was good event planning? All I asked for was the opportunity for a refund, transfer, or a deferment until 2017 - due to their error. How about some transparency.

I'll tell you what deh- next time you have a decision to make on a purchase - I'll organize it for you. You pay me the money upfront and I'll keep you in the dark for months on the process telling you we are all good. When you want the purchase, I'll change it up for you so you are not getting what you asked for and tell you to like it or pound sand because I am the only game in town. Now deh, don't open your mouth - just shut up and go away.

Did you really submit this to our paper? What a surprise to read this garbage in an editorial piece in our paper this morning. Unbelievable.

Badig| Strava

Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
link, please!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [tjfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tjfry wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
link, please!

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/...67-df4b77df5b2a.html

Jesus. Well here's exhibit A for the next a hole councilman that wants to cancel a race in his district

Oh, and Adam, ST is one thing but if you're actually going to send something to a paper please proofread it. [rolleyes]
Quote Reply
Re: An open letter to Andrew Messick - CEO of WTC (Response to IMTX Bike Course) [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
tjfry wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
link, please!

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/...67-df4b77df5b2a.html

Jesus. Well here's exhibit A for the next a hole councilman that wants to cancel a race in his district

Oh, and Adam, ST is one thing but if you're actually going to send something to a paper please proofread it. [rolleyes]

Hahahaha. I fixed it for consistent tone. "My heart goes out to all of the people affected by the course change. I wish Godspeed to them and to their recovery efforts in their recreational activity."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
you and I agree 100%. I am not offended. I am saying someone will be. And someone will take it too far. Maybe I am the jaded one!

well, you'd probably have two groups of people. 1 would just be exhausted and happy to be done and probably laugh. The other group would be exhausted and not in the mood for jokes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next