Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

6 Months around Oxford
Quote | Reply
My company has asked me to spend six months outside Oxford this summer working. I'll be located in Witney and wondered if there are any local triathletes that can clue me in on the tri scene out there. Looking for a club to join, facilities to train in, and a local race or two. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months around Oxford [jpicune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oxford tri club is a good one.

https://oxfordtri.co.uk/

Or failing that this is the British Triathlon Clubs in the South Central Region. Witney is a fair way from Oxford and there is a swimming pool at Witney.

What distances & months for the racing?

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/...region=6&=Filter

I would start with Wallingford and Abingdon. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, I went to university there.
Last edited by: Stumps: Apr 30, 16 2:02
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months around Oxford [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for the advice! I was able to track down the pool in Witney and looked into the Oxford Tri Club. I'm not sure where I'll be staying just yet, but the office is in Witney. I did spend 6 months out there about 5 years ago, but at that time I was only running.

I'm training for a half in September, I'll be flying back to the US to compete. I would love to find an Olympic sometime between July and August out there if you know of any good races. I don't mind if I have to travel a ways. I've been searching, but lack of knowledge of the area had made it challenging.
Quote Reply
Re: 6 Months around Oxford [jpicune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, if you just go running at the Iffley Road Track where Roger Bannister broke the 4 min mile, you will meet enough athletes. There is a full gym and pool at the complex so you will quickly end up networking. Great location. I stayed there once rather than Heathrow airport before a flight home so that I could run at the track. It turns out it is only a 45 min cab ride from Heathrow, and between a cheap local hotel and 2 cab rides, it ended up being a wash compared to staying at Heathrow Airport with its inflated prices.
Quote Reply