Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who enforces motorized doping checks in triathlon? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know your question was targeted at the U.S. audience but after the Belgian U23 cyclocross champion was busted a few months back for motorised doping I sent a number of emails to Ironman officials asking if they had a plan/intention to deal with the issue. The response was...silence...not a thing. I found that pretty disappointing but maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.

Niall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most races can't enforce no headphones and now you want them to catch dopers (of any kind)?
Quote Reply
Re: Who enforces motorized doping checks in triathlon? [Behan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Behan wrote:
I know your question was targeted at the U.S. audience but after the Belgian U23 cyclocross champion was busted a few months back for motorised doping I sent a number of emails to Ironman officials asking if they had a plan/intention to deal with the issue. The response was...silence...not a thing. I found that pretty disappointing but maybe I shouldn't have been surprised.

Niall

Honestly, I expect Ironman will address motorized doping. Whether they can effectively stop it, I'd be skeptical, but I expect they'll come up with some process that at least acknowledges awareness of the issue and educates RDs and officials on the inspection or confiscation process. They have 150+ events that are "big-time", ie 2000-3000 athletes, and they can put together a process that applies to all. What I'm thinking more about are the individual races, the small RD and 500 racers with maybe two USAT officials, or even the totally unsanctioned events. In the real world, how do the small events go about this. We know that in the real world that these small events turn a blind eye to doping and don't worry about it, putting the onus on USADA who would never test small events like these, so is the same "it's an honor system because we won't even try to catch you" approach taken for motorized doping? Is there any other real-world option?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who enforces motorized doping checks in triathlon?

As for right now or just a short time ago . . no one!

I am guessing that with what's been going on on in Pro cycling, that discussions have started, among officials in triathlon. Like most things of this nature, you'll see it first for the Pros, and a while later (read - years) for the Ager-Groupers.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Who enforces motorized doping checks in triathlon? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a few Ironman races where they were taking pictures for insurance purposes I guess--of each bike. First time I ever saw this was in Kona, then Ironman Boulder...seems like during this photo/check in session the day prior, that would be a good time to go check for motors. The bikes are in for the duration, it would certainly be an ideal time to photo/safety check & scan the bikes for motors. The owners would be present & available for questions & be witness to the process. I'm all for it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next