Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain rings for rotor 3D+ crank
Quote | Reply
Need to get some chain rings for rotor cranks, what should I get? Not sure I buy into the hole oval chain rings but if you have had positive experience let me know. I thought about just using the vision chain rings that are on my stock crank. I did notice though the metal cylinder that is positioned behind the crank arm is too long for the rotor cranks.

Can I use shimano round chain rings or do I have to buy rotors round rings? Will the rotor chain rings shift well?

I am using this on a felt Ia with 11spd di2.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain rings for rotor 3D+ crank [Mcluvin22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
praxis are cold forged like shimano , so are super stiff. They work for sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really happy with Rotor aero, normal-round chainrings. Lots of miles on it and good shifting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You buy the chain rings that match your BCD pattern on the cranks you bought. This will be either 130BCD or 110BCD. You'll then purchase the corresponding chain rings that suit this standard. As another poster mentioned Praxis Works are forged which has many benefits over milled chain rings. That being said the bicycle drive train is something like 98% efficient so you're chasing some pretty small gains there. However, Praxis works chain rings can be had for a great price considering the only other commonly seen forged chain rings are Ultegra and Dura-Ace.

Personally I have run No Q round Rotor rings and then I switch to their Q Rings. For me I notice they are a bit easier on my knees. When I get on round rings now I feel a dull pain in my left knee cap after putting out a few hard high power intervals. This could be a setup thing or my body's physiology but I've heard others say the same thing.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Apr 29, 16 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: Chain rings for rotor 3D+ crank [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post, how has shifting been with the q rings (dropped chain,etc.)? If moving to q rings does it require getting a new chain if using chainrings that are the same number of teeth? Also, do you notice any benefit at the top of the pedal stroke while in an aero tuck?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with the MAS spider that allows you to fine tune the start of the oval ramp thinking that I'd try all these different settings to really tune it to the best one for me. 2.5 years later I've yet to even move them from the position they were installed at. When I feel things this minor are worthy I'll dig deeper but for now it's just a feature I've yet to take advantage of.

On my road bike I notice that when I get really forward on my saddle (like the very tip) when putting out maximum wattage (130-140% of FTP) I can notice it a lot more than during regular use. I'd argue that not too many people can tell the difference between the two but the outcome was noticeable (sore knees on round rings). On my TT bike there is this feeling of "coming over the top" but I also have different chain rings on each bike so it could be position or it could be the higher tooth count. My opinion on it is if you're going to always wonder if Q Rings are for you pull the trigger and get them. They aren't cheap but they are well made and have lasted many many thousands of KMs with minimal wear thus far.

As per the chain drops etc ... I was having chain drop issues when I was on mechanical shifting but it was a combination of a few things from what my mechanic tells me. My chain was super light KMC and the mechanical FD would throw it too far towards the inside ring and it would come off. Then we put in a chain catcher and it seemed to fix it for everything but load bearing shifts (going Small to Big on hills). Once I moved over to Di2 I didn't have another drop ever on my chain. I've also read that SRAM and Q Rings are particularly finicky to keep tuned due to the YAW FD in the SRAM system. I've seen it done but I've read it takes a lot of care and attention to shift flawlessly long term.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Apr 29, 16 11:20
Quote Reply