Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIM to RIM in one day. - Grand Canyon
Quote | Reply
Has anyone hike the GC Rim to Rim in one day? Any advice.
Quote Reply
Re: RIM to RIM in one day. - Grand Canyon [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was just at the GC a couple months ago. FWIW, the universal recommendation from all park staff I talked to was not to try it (both official park guidance, but also over beers with a couple of off-duty rangers and mule drivers) . They have to help lots of people every year who try to do a one day bounce and can't manage it - usually young bucks in pretty decent shape who think the guidance is just for middle-aged punters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know someone that did rim to rim to rim. Bring lots of water and salt stick tablets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search the the main forum there are a couple of threads on it and plenty of folks have done it.

My brother and I did Rim to Rim to Rim a few years ago in mid September. It was an amazing way to experience the canyon! It requires some thought and planning to do it.

Find a couple of days in a time of year that isn't too hot at the river or too cold at the rim and be flexible with the weather. The day after we did it the weather turned bad and would have mad for a miserable experience if that was the only day we could do it. The day we did it was perfect weather wise. Water is available in a couple places in the canyon, but not all year.

I'd recommend doing with someone, just because. Pack light and flexible as the temperature swings are large- arm warmers,a light shell and a change of socks fit the expected temperatures when we did it. Also, think through your food and water plan. We got to Phantom Ranch before it was open in the morning, but got back in time for grab something on the way back. I carried a small running hydration pack. I did carry some "oh shit" stuff- mylar blanket, small first aid kit, fire starting materials, whistle, etc normal back country emergency gear. The north side of the canyon is not well traveled so you need to be self sufficient. And it will take you longer than you think it will.

We started early in the morning in the dark and finished that night in the dark, so a headlamp and backup flashlight were also in my kit.

I took a bunch a pictures, but I wish I stopped and took more- one of the best days of my life.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: RIM to RIM in one day. - Grand Canyon [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thank you!! Coming from OR and trying to figure out cars and the shuttle situation too....definitely lots of planning. Wish there were more shuttles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is easier to run/walk back to where you started than to get a shuttle.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Apr 28, 16 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went down and back up on the same side (different route) a couple years ago in January. It was a pretty cool experience, snow/ice and freezing temperatures on the rim and 80 degrees at the river. My biggest takeaway, at least for that time of year -- carry a ton of water, refill every chance you get, and do not assume you'll find water at the next stop. I ran out of water half way up from the bottom, and the campsite I'd planned to refill at (the last opportunity before the rim) was closed and water shut off. I ended up having an off duty ranger, really nice guy, tag along with me the last few miles to the rim. He said it was just for company but I think he was concerned I wouldn't make it, was pretty dehydrated by the end and limping along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done rim to rim in one day many times. Very doable.
PM me with any questions,

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on fitness level and how adapted to hot weather. It is definitely doable. Should you try? Go for it only if you have done similar things before and know you can do it. It's easy to get stuck out there after dark.

A guy here holds a record for climbing a popular 4000 foot peak with a 4 mile hike to the summit. His record is 38 minutes. Most people can't run 4 flat miles in 38 minutes. Someone else ran Wonderland trail on Mt Rainier in one day. It's 93 miles and 22,000 feet of climbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmuffin wrote:

Rim to Rim should be very doable. People have actually done Rim to Rim to Rim in one day, I believe.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step 1. Ignore this sign.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Apr 29, 16 10:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahaha!

Noted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like you actually did rim to rim to rim, right? If you passed Phantom Ranch twice, either that's what you did or you made a wrong turn.
Quote Reply
Re: RIM to RIM in one day. - Grand Canyon [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, R2R2R.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done it couple of times. First time was 8 hours. 2nd time was 6.5 hours. Very doable. Trained for it like ironman in terms of nutrition needs. Lots of 5-7hour runs. Plus gym/ weight work on legs. Some back to back hour treadmills runs 5% grade then on to stair climber for an hour. Living in Houston was best way to simulate the climb out.

More proud of doing the R2Rs than theIMs actually
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmuffin wrote:

Here's a guide. The author posts here occasionally as nmgal

http://marathonandbeyond.com/choices/Tibbets.pdf

Quote Reply