Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone here not have a mobile phone? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me.
first track phone got wet when i fell out of a canoe standing up taking a piss in a swamp. Second one got destroyed when i rolled my car down a hill. I am not getting a third. No elfin way.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about call 911 in the event of a drowning? Or do something about it yourself.

How the fuck needs 24/7 contact with the neighborhood pool general manager?

Who here would hire anyone in a managerial position that doesn't own and carry a cell phone, or refused to do so, during hours of business operation?

Why kind of dumbfuck employer would require an employee to have a phone for work purposes and not provide a phone or at least reimburse for the expenses?

Are you sure he "refused" to carry a phone?
Last edited by: AlanShearer: May 2, 16 12:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We cut the land-line and did some other consolidation on the house telecommunications a year and a half ago. Ended up saving about $1,000/year. If it had only been a couple of hundred I would have kept it - but that just seemed ridiculous. Note that was not the raw costs of the land-line itself but also the savings from consolidating, some other things and bundling our TV and mobile service with one supplier and REALLY grinding them on some service plans.

The all-mobile-all-the-time thing does present some unique communications issues. Teenagers for example - you feel better, because you can stay in "closer" communication with them, but then again, you have no idea of where they REALLY are!!

In land-line days, if they said they were going over Jacks' place - a quick call to Jack's place could confirm that they are really at Jack's place. Now you get a text - 'hanging at Jack's place' . . . . but how do you REALLY know they are at Jacks?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a mobile phone? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
find my iphone or whatever android calls their version. Ground them for shutting it off LOL

Of course we won't get into the whole helicopter parent & lack of trust issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a mobile phone? [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course we won't get into the whole helicopter parent & lack of trust issue.

Indeed, in some ways it forces, everyone to be more honest and trustworthy. "I do have a way of finding out if you were at Jack's place"

We had a little incident early on with my son, when he was 13 or so and a bit of the bending of truth, and using the mobile phone to hind behind that. It was a good learning experience for him, that trust is everything and ultimately he's responsible for . . .well . . . just about everything!

I'm the least helicopter-like-parent around.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a mobile phone? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
One of the odd lessons I have learned from being self employed is occasionally you need to fire a customer!

Oh no, never fire a customer. Wanna be a pain in the ass? No problem, there's a fee for that!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a mobile phone? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
How about call 911 in the event of a drowning? Or do something about it yourself.

How the fuck needs 24/7 contact with the neighborhood pool general manager?

Who here would hire anyone in a managerial position that doesn't own and carry a cell phone, or refused to do so, during hours of business operation?

Why kind of dumbfuck employer would require an employee to have a phone for work purposes and not provide a phone or at least reimburse for the expenses?

Are you sure he "refused" to carry a phone?

Knowing the managerial skills of this manager from last year, which were lacking to put it mildly, I would not be shocked that he "refused" a free phone.

We had a situation several years ago, where a rescue was made and 911 was called. When this incident happened on one of the assistant manager's watch, that assistant manager (who was a fill-in) called the real assistant manager, because the general manager refused to answer their phone. The assistant manager was at the pool within 15 minutes to assist the staff. When it came to hiring and firing at the end of the year, guess who was in and guess was shown the gate? That assistant manager was all of 19 or 20 years old, and has been the best general manager our pool has had in the last 25 years.
Quote Reply

Prev Next