Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

One-Way car rentals
Quote | Reply
We're traveling on the west coast this summer, from Seattle to SFO. Car rental is crazy expensive if dropping off at a different location. Any suggestion to beat the crazy extra charge?
Quote Reply
Re: One-Way car rentals [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last time I rented a one-way, it was something like $175. However, if you have a National membership (which is free) you should be able to get a free rental after 5 days of rental. A cheap car is around $29/day here. Find a reason to rent a car 5 days, save some wear on your car for those 5 days, your total will be ~$150, then apply that free day to the one-way rental. Wear saved on your car, money saved on the rental. Looking at this, that's a bit of a hassle for $30...but it wasn't a big deal to me when I last did this since I used National for all of my work travel and used the free days for personal use if need be.

Francois wrote:
We're traveling on the west coast this summer, from Seattle to SFO. Car rental is crazy expensive if dropping off at a different location. Any suggestion to beat the crazy extra charge?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best idea I have seen is
  • Call the rental agency’s local office in your pickup city and check if they have a car on the lot that they want to return to the rental office in your destination. If they do, sometimes they’ll waive the one-way fee.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: One-Way car rentals [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be the best option indeed. Right now, I'm yet to see anything under $1,100 for 11 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.autoslash.com

I ended up not using them, and did a priceline name your price instead. However, I did note that once I put my info in they kept sending me deals that they found up until my rental date. Seemed a pretty good way to track what deals might be out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Might be the best option indeed. Right now, I'm yet to see anything under $1,100 for 11 days.

I just (end of March) did a 3-day rental with National, picked up at Port Canaveral and dropped off at MCO, cost me $150 (Toyota Avalon).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

I plugged in your cities' airports and a generic 11 days in July and got the same 1,100 I think you were seeing across almost all car rental companies. I then changed my search to the city, rather than airports, and the price dropped to high $800s. If its doable see if you can pickup and drop off the car at one of the intown offices rather than at the airport. You can save a good bit of money this way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used Budget rental from Vegas to Phoenix and it was dirt cheap. I think it was $70 for 5 days

I did go thru Costco

Tell them you'll waive your delivery fee👌
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a cheap car off craigslist, take your trip, and sell/ abandon it at the conclusion.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some friends recently rent a U-haul because it was so much cheaper than pay the one-way drop off charge.

I just checked a 10ft van from Seattle to SF) starting July 9 was $509.

Plus what is more cool than a Uhaul?
Quote Reply
Re: One-Way car rentals [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That could work actually...need to check if they would let us cross the border though. First part of the trip involves Whistler, BC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
That could work actually...need to check if they would let us cross the border though. First part of the trip involves Whistler, BC.

Don't forget U-Haul charges mileage. One option would be to drop off the car closer to the state border so the return isn't so far. I checked a couple of different things out and there is about a $100 to $200 savings. You do have to change cars which sucks but it would save a little.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: One-Way car rentals [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Francois wrote:

Don't forget U-Haul charges mileage. One option would be to drop off the car closer to the state border so the return isn't so far. I checked a couple of different things out and there is about a $100 to $200 savings. You do have to change cars which sucks but it would save a little.
Try to look at Penske, they do unlimited miles and often have better trucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you checked enterprise rental -- and not airport locations. I'm seeing compact car for around 825 (not including insurance). Also, call your local enterprise location in Gainesville and see what they can figure out for you.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: One-Way car rentals [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah,

Old trick. Great if it works.

I remember at least one instance where this turned into a major cluster and I was facing the choice to go to the airport location anyway, because the Downtown location did not have the car I had reserved -- and neither an upgrade they were willing to grant.
Good fun negotiating with these guys for half a day on your own time...

H- wrote:
Have you checked enterprise rental -- and not airport locations. I'm seeing compact car for around 825 (not including insurance). Also, call your local enterprise location in Gainesville and see what they can figure out for you.
Quote Reply
Re: One-Way car rentals [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Francois wrote:

U-Haul rates typically includes mileage on one-way rentals. They do not include mileage on local rentals.
Quote Reply