Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For those with hitch racks... [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a hitch rack (1Up) ALL the time for my MTB, as do the majority of guys I ride with, and have never heard of anybody getting a ticket like that. Sorry.

Clearly that cop had a burr up his ass that day.

You could probably go to court and fight it, but since it's zero points, just write the check and move on.

Why would you need to remove both wheels??
With the R seats down in my Jetta, I can get a 29'er in there with just the F wheel off, no problemo.
The P5 goes in even easier, since it's smaller overall.

I have a WeatherTech trunk liner, so it doesn't get too crapped up when I need to put a bike in there.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: For those with hitch racks... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend that is hyper worried about things like this.
He heard about people from California getting tickets in Arizona for this.
He fabbed a plate mount for his plate and rigged lights off the trailer wiring.
Since he rides virtually every day, it's pretty much his permanent setup.
If you've got a hitch mount, odds are good that you have a trailer wiring hookup as well.
Quote Reply
Re: For those with hitch racks... [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:
I have a Kuat NV rack & I have never had an issue at all. In fact, here in Georgia, we don't have front plates & obstructing your back plate with a trailer is pretty common. Some people's plates are actually destroyed because the hitch ball on many older pickups is so close that a trailer will rub against the plate. I've still never heard of anyone getting pulled over for that.

I'm very pro-police, but this guy sounds like he was just being a dick. There is probably some obscure law in every state about obstructing your plate, but it's one of those laws that is rarely enforced.

So far, touch wood, I have not had a problem driving around Atlanta metro area and even with the Kuat NV flipped up when not using I am lucky that the plate mount is just above the rack. However, I have a friend that was pulled over and ticketed by a Marietta cop for the same reason the OP stated. All I can think is that this particular officer was just being a jerk. What was weird was the officer told him that if he had the bike on the rack and the bike obstructed the plate that was okay, but having the rack flipped up and the rack covering the plate was not okay.
Quote Reply
Re: For those with hitch racks... [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard the same things from two cops here in VA (one ticket, one warning). If there is a bike on the rack, it's okay. No bike, not okay.

Maybe their trunk mounted readers can't pick up the plate...

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was your bike on the rack when you got the ticket, or just up without the bike?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: For those with hitch racks... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was up without a bike. I was driving to go and pick up my bike, and told the cop so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know there was an article in the paper last fall about someone being ticketed here in Calgary for having a rack on their car but so far no issue for me. I have had a hitch rack on my car pretty much consistently for the last 5 years or so and have never had an issue. We just got a Kuat last spring and it covers the plate way more than my old Softride hanging style rack did, maybe I'll get a ticket but I hope not. I know I'm breaking the law by obstructing my plate when I drive around with the rack up but I figure so long as there is no demerits I figure it is saving me money, between red light cameras, speed cameras, and parking cameras I haven't gotten a ticket for any thing since I put a rack on the car.

Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ghost234 wrote:
It was up without a bike. I was driving to go and pick up my bike, and told the cop so.

Okay, great to know. I have never driven my car with my bike rack up without a bike. Sure will not do it now. Only takes a few second to take off.

Now, I assume it would not be illegal to drive your car with your rack down to pick up a bike?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cop was probably being a dick. I drove thousands of miles with my bikes mounted on a hitch rack, and never a problem.
Take it to the court and see what the judge says.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Toronto and the same thing happened to me when I had the rack in the up position. When it was down with the either bike on or off the rack it was fine. Police officer was good and just said to keep it down when I am driving around with the bikes off. It's not ideal but I just take it off when not using.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ghost234 wrote:
So in January I bought a hitch bike rack for my car. I used to put my bike inside my car, and the inside got disgusting with chain grease everywhere. I was very happy, until earlier today.

Being in the northeast, it is still a little chilly. My friend and I have our bikes set up at his house on computrainers. I was driving over there to ride, and then take my bike home for the weekend when I was pulled over by the police. It is illegal to obstruct your license plate, and my bike rack causes partial visibility issues with the plates. I told the officer that I will remove it when it is not in use, and I am just going to pick my bike up. But he still gave me a ticket for $110. Nothing is obstructing my front plate.

How do those with hitch racks deal with this law? I'm going to fight it, but any advice on dealing with this in the future (or how to fight it) would be fantastic.

I keep mine on my car for the season once the weather breaks. Luckily my plate is mounted a little higher on my car (hatchback) and the vertical support bar folds out of the way making the plate unobstructed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ghost234 wrote:

I drive a Jetta 4 door.

Here is your answer why you got the ticket and not a warning or pass.

You came across a "Profiler".

Sucks to be poor in the us.

I drive a compact. Whenever I get pulled over for Nothing, It so happens that a business card ends up between license and reg. With these "profilers", I always end up getting a warning for the Nothing.....
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 30, 16 22:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm going with "cop's a dick" and maybe end of the month and needs to hit his citations.

We have two hitch mounts, the Kuat when folded up blocks the better half's plate. Never an issue and I can recall getting pulled over twice with no bikes but with the rack on and once with bikes on there. Cop never brought up the hitch rack.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply

Prev Next