Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone here not have a computer?
Quote | Reply
The wife mentioned to me that she knows someone who doesn't have a computer. It's not that they are behind the times, this person thinks that they are ahead of the times and only uses a smartphone.

I can't imagine not having a computer.

Does anyone here not own a computer?

I know of some people at work that don't own one but our company provides a laptop. They, of course, come to me looking to get iTunes installed. Sorry, ain't going to happen. "But how will I back up my iPhone? or load music on it?" Um, it's your company phone. It doesn't need music or need to be backed up.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a computer? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
The wife mentioned to me that she knows someone who doesn't have a computer.

My 80 year old MIL has never owned or used a computer or a smart phone. For years my wife wouldn't let us get rid of the land line because that was the one her mother called on. If she calls and we are on the phone, she leaves a message, with her phone number. The same one she has had for 40 years. She clearly doesn't understand that she is programmed into our smart phones.

Otherwise, only some elementary age children. Can't think of anyone else without either.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a computer? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or that you have the number memorized.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so old school that I just bought another desk top. Family of four has 2 desk tops, 3 lap tops, 3 tablets, 2 smart phones, and one cool 1980's calculator watch.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine not having a computer.

If all you do is FB, E-mail and play a few games you really have no need for a computer and I can see it.

I think Desktops are still viable and will probably remain viable for some applications for quite some time. Heavy use programs, Graphic design,Animation, CAD/CAM etc need lots of HP and fitting that into a laptop will always be more of a challenge then fitting it into a desktop.

Anyone that does work or uses programs of any complexity will have either a laptop or desktop, it's hard to do much effectively and efficiently on a 2" X 3" screen.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a computer? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so old school that I just bought another desk top.

I don't think it's "Old school" at all. You can buy a Desktop that has more power then an equivalent laptop for half or third the price. Keep your old screen and you can have it hooked up to a 20-25" monitor. Easier to upgrade and thus will likely last longer as well.

Depending on your use I think a desktop can be a "Must have" for some households.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a computer? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess things like doing taxes would just be given to someone else to do. I mostly use my phone these days but I definitely still need a computer at home.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But how would I run PerfPro without a PC?

I can see someone being able to get by without a PC if they only did web browsing, facebook, etc. Smart phones these days have big enough screens that they are basically mini-tablets.

But no, I don't know anyone who doesn't use a computer regularly. Most of my friends are all gaming geeks as well though, so we all have gaming rigs and our significant other's either have a PC of their own or they share ours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I guess things like doing taxes would just be given to someone else to do. I mostly use my phone these days but I definitely still need a computer at home.

TurboTax has an app these days. Also you could always just use your phone to do it on their website. You might have to force the website to give the PC version of the site, but either way it could be done.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a computer? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
BLeP wrote:

TurboTax has an app these days. Also you could always just use your phone to do it on their website. You might have to force the website to give the PC version of the site, but either way it could be done.

No thanks. That would not be an enjoyable experience (Doing taxes is very enjoyable on a computer!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and no. My in laws own a computer, but my father in law has never touched it, its all the MIL. He wouldn't have a clue how to turn it on. He is a 58 year old welder who has no interest in technology and thinks its just a way for big brother government to monitor you. He doesn't own a credit card, pays for everything in cash and his sole investment is guns and ammo.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Apr 28, 16 7:46
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a computer? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree, even ignoring price and performance the best laptop is never going to be as good to use as a nice wireless keyboard and mouse and a pair of large monitors if you need to do any real work. Of course, you can plug a decent laptop into that set-up but it's nice having it all set up and ready to go with the tower and the cables nicely tucked away, display settings as you want them, etc. Add in the bang for your buck, ability to upgrade, and reliability (cramming more and more performance into slimmer and slimmer laptop/tablets doesn't come without consequences) and I don't see them going away any time soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a computer? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree, even ignoring price and performance the best laptop is never going to be as good to use as a nice wireless keyboard and mouse and a pair of large monitors if you need to do any real work.

To some degree I also think it's an inefficiency and convenience issue. If you're doing work the point is to get as much done as quickly as possible effectively as possible. For many "Jobs" that means a desktop, faster hardware, multiple screens, full keyboard with a number pad etc etc. If you're doing personal stuff you want to be sitting on the couch lounging and taking your time.

Essentially if you never do anything that resembles "Work" at home you don't really need a desktop or even laptop. But for most people I would think word processing, bills, taxes, financing, stocks etc etc would all be better done on laptop. IF you do other stuff, video editing, gaming or actual work work you have a desktop as well.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own a computer, cell phone or television.

I got rid of my computer after my bike trip because I have one at work and don't want to be online at night. I got rid of my phone because there is a land line in my home (I am renting) and I have a phone at work. If I'm not at home and not at work, I don't want to talk on the phone.

I'm not really behind the times as much as behind current trends. I go to coffee shops and read books and newspapers instead of online news. At night I exercise and then play my violin or read.

I had a computer for years and I don't think I am missing anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between my parents and my siblings (n=2), my folks don't have a computer or tablet and own 1 smartphone between the 2 of them. My brother has a computer and he + wife each own their own smartphones. My sister + husband+ 3.5 kids have 1 smartphone without a computer/ tablet for the bunch.

Since the Wife is in IT, we've got a plethora of techie gadgets sitting around the house. Funny thing is that we've tried to give away some computers and tablets to my side of the family and all requests have been denied. They 'don't want to mess them up by doing something wrong'.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good one...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a computer? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Between my parents and my siblings (n=2), my folks don't have a computer or tablet and own 1 smartphone between the 2 of them. My brother has a computer and he + wife each own their own smartphones. My sister + husband+ 3.5 kids have 1 smartphone without a computer/ tablet for the bunch.

Since the Wife is in IT, we've got a plethora of techie gadgets sitting around the house. Funny thing is that we've tried to give away some computers and tablets to my side of the family and all requests have been denied. They 'don't want to mess them up by doing something wrong'.

If you're looking to give away a tablet, I'll be happy to let you call me family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have lots of computers in the house. Generating content, or even just typing some longish text, on a tablet or phone is incredibly annoying. Even on a Surface with a touch cover! Nothing beats a good full-size mechanical keyboard and a good mouse for productivity. Plus a large monitor.

Phones and tablets are for consuming content.

Let's see. We have a Media Center PC in the living room connected to the TV and the sound system. 5TB of video on it and dual tuners and blu-ray player. Then there's my HP server. My Uber gaming computer. The old gaming computer which is now in the garage. Her laptop. And we both have a tablet.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a computer? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're looking to give away a tablet, I'll be happy to let you call me family

I've got enough deadbeat family members that live in Indiana. No need to add to the stash.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here not have a computer? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 89 year old MIL has no computer or cell phone. She like to lament that all this technology is the downfall of our country. "All these people pushing buttons all the time".

Then my wife fires up FB on her phone and shows her the latest cute video of her great-grandchildren who live hallway across the country. Or Face Times with the relatives in Cleveland on her 89th birthday and she does admit that maybe there is some good that comes with this technology.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went computer-less for about a year and half from mid 2014 to end 2015. I really didn't miss it. I had an iPad and a computer at work, so other than being unable to do gaming, there was no impact.

I re-built my desktop at the end of last year, and now have it set up in our new house. It gets used, but almost completely in ways that could also be done on an iPad.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Or that you have the number memorized.

Or the concept of pencil and paper.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply