Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A rookie mistake
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to share my rookie mistake with everyone.

Buliding a new PC as an office machine for my GF. When ordering the Power Supply it was out of stock at the cheapest merchant (via pcpartpicker) so I picked a new power supply in a haste and called it good. It was late and I was tired and wanted to get to bed. Fast forward a week and all of the parts have arrived. Except apparently I switched to the OEM version of the PSU which doesn't come with a power cord. Something I could've bought for $2.99 online but paying to get it shipped in any reasonable amount of time from several merchants would have been $10+. So I admitted defeat and bought it from best buy...for $15. Instant gratification...except....

the same Power supply isn't long enough to reach the 8 pin, so to add insult to injury after I bought the power cord, I still can't even power on the pc until I get the extension cable for the 8pin. This is only my 3rd PC i've built up and it seems like I make a rookie mistake(s) each time.

Anyone else care to share their rookie mistake(s)? Computer building related or otherwise?
Last edited by: racehd: Apr 28, 16 5:33
Quote Reply
Re: A rookie mistake [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a power supply once for a build in the late 90's. The one I wanted was out of stock, but an apparently identical one for the same price was available. The part number had a suffix "INT" and since I certainly didn't want an external power supply, I figured all would be good. After receiving it, installing it, and watching smoke come out of it, I realized that "INT" stood for international.

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a rookie mistake so much but I needed to replace the CPU fan in a computer several years ago. I ordered a new one online based on the size, well it came and it worked but it didn't quite fit right. I ended up using crazy glue to hold that bitch in place. I (correctly) guessed that computer would become obsolete before I needed to replace that part again.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: A rookie mistake [drew_235] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drew_235 wrote:
I ordered a power supply once for a build in the late 90's. The one I wanted was out of stock, but an apparently identical one for the same price was available. The part number had a suffix "INT" and since I certainly didn't want an external power supply, I figured all would be good. After receiving it, installing it, and watching smoke come out of it, I realized that "INT" stood for international.

Sounds exactly like something I would do. I'm at least learning from my mistakes. You better bet yourself I made sure I had enough SATA cables this time around (my downfall last time).
Quote Reply
Re: A rookie mistake [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Not a rookie mistake so much but I needed to replace the CPU fan in a computer several years ago. I ordered a new one online based on the size, well it came and it worked but it didn't quite fit right. I ended up using crazy glue to hold that bitch in place. I (correctly) guessed that computer would become obsolete before I needed to replace that part again.

Is there a reason you replaced the whole computer rather than upgrade individual parts and kept the case? Still funny either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Is there a reason you replaced the whole computer rather than upgrade individual parts and kept the case? Still funny either way.

Yup, laziness. I went on the Dell website and ordered a new tower for about $600. It came all ready for me to use.

I didn't look into the cost of replacing the internals, I guessed that it would be close to or even more than the $600 I spent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Yup, laziness. I went on the Dell website and ordered a new tower for about $600. It came all ready for me to use.

I didn't look into the cost of replacing the internals, I guessed that it would be close to or even more than the $600 I spent.

Figured. Depends on several things like how much you put into it originally, how old it is, etc.

For example my main PC is 3 years old since I last did anything with it. I use it as a gaming computer and probably in another year or so I'll want to upgrade the graphics card and possibly the RAM. I'll be able to keep my motherboard, processor, case, fans, hard drives, cd drive, power supply, etc. We're looking at $800 put into it 3 years ago and only ~$200-300 in upgrades a year from now to keep it as a gaming computer that can play all the games I could want (regardless of how little free time I actually have to play said games). That's much cheaper than me buying a whole new computer

But for just a basic non-gaming computer that may not be the case. Depends on what the components are in the current PC, what the limiting components are and what is making you feel like you need a new computer.
Last edited by: racehd: Apr 28, 16 7:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't game so graphics card is a waste. I don't remember what stopped working on that old computer that made me replace it but the new computer was Windows 7 instead of XP and was loaded with RAM. It's been good.

Last edited by: BLeP: Apr 28, 16 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I suppose your super glue fix was better than my fix of just using a big enough screw to catch between the fins of the heat sink. I thought I had the right fan but the screw holes didn't line up, so I drilled them out to put a bigger screw in and just kind of wedged them into the fins.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: A rookie mistake [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I recall the glue wouldn't just stick the fan on (it kept popping off), so I glued it then used cable ties to hold it in place while the glue sets for about 24 hours.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, tons of times. There's always a bit of apprehension when it comes to the first time powering up. Everything's assembled in the case, all wired up, it's the moment of truth. You push the power button and all these assorted pieces of silicon, copper and plastic will start talking to each other, lights blink awake, fans start whirring it's like the birth of artificial life, a real fist pump-worthy moment...... Except nothing happens. You start muttering to yourself and figure out where the problem is.

My mistakes have included but aren't limited to:
Not plugging the RAM in properly
Buying Server RAM for a desktop (Crucial were nice about it though)
Not having the surge protector powered on
Buying a stonking huge video card that won't fit.....

Don't forget to unclip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about "Rookie mistakes but" I have...

1) Purchased the wrong RAM.
2) Purchased the wrong video card for the interface on the MB
3) Way back in the early 90's power supplies had a voltage switch from 110 to 220 or European voltage or something. Essentially fried a HD and video card in a PC because I had it on the wrong setting on a brand new build.
4) and probably a dozen other mistakes I have thankfully forgotten.

Things I have learned.

1) Don't pinch pennies with the MB...it WILL bite you in the ass.
2) Don't pinch pennies with the power supply...unless you like changing power supplies ever six months or so.

I have so much shit and spare parts laying around that lack of one cable or the other is generally not an issue...until they decide to change the interface or something and then you start to collect more parts :-)

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wanted to report back...I got the cable I needed on Friday and everything booted up just fine. I had a small bit of initial panic when I turned it on and my VGA monitor didn't show anything. Then I remembered that the intel skylake processor dropped VGA support. Plugged in an HDMI TV instead of my VGA monitor and I was able to get windows and all the drivers installed (including MOBO's VGA driver). Worked like a charm. The computer is quite a beast for the $500 budget.

Only problem is now that I've seen how the SSD makes the computer start in 10 seconds, I'm a bit jealous and want an SSD in my main computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of back in day looking up all those POST codes.

Beep, beep

Beep

Beep, beep, beep

What the fuckity fuck!!

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: A rookie mistake [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chainpin wrote:
Reminds me of back in day looking up all those POST codes.

Beep, beep

Beep

Beep, beep, beep

What the fuckity fuck!!

I just went through that with my in laws computer. It was pretty funny. Like it was whispering dying words to me to tell me what was wrong.

I've always said that with new projects like building a computer from scratch or refinishing my basement that if I had to do it again I could do it twice as fast for half the cost.

It's not strictly true, but you do have to live through these projects to absorb all of the lessons they can teach you.
Quote Reply
Re: A rookie mistake [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not strictly true, but you do have to live through these projects to absorb all of the lessons they can teach you.

Actually it's very true. Essentially every part we do is a "First time project". When we get the same part again we often do it significantly faster...and often times actually make money the second time around. :-)

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: A rookie mistake [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
I don't know about "Rookie mistakes but" I have...

3) Way back in the early 90's power supplies had a voltage switch from 110 to 220 or European voltage or something. Essentially fried a HD and video card in a PC because I had it on the wrong setting on a brand new build.

~Matt
When I went overseas about 10 years ago, I put a PC together to take with me. When I finally had the time to put it together, I plugged it in and smoke immediately started coming out. I quickly unplugged it and after checking it out, figured out that it wasn't an automatically switched power supply and had a physical switch to go from 110 to 220. Luckily it only fried the power supply and didn't actually affect anything else.

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply