Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Carbon Wheels [vcorlew22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vcorlew22 wrote:
Thank you for all your input, so what I came up with is:

Buying them new I get crash replacement and a warranty
I decided I wanted DT Swiss Hubs

So I bought Enve's and Eagle Wheels on Amazon, and I am going to ride both and hope I don't fall in love with the Enve's because that's going to be a fun one to explain to my wife.
You're going to ride both and try to return one for a full refund to be re-sold as new? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, just for a 20 mile ride or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never heard of Eagle Wheels before. Even their Amazon page looks new, like last few weeks new. Do they have a website? What other research did you do on them?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea how old they are, there are so many carbon wheel companies, I had no idea. They had good reviews on Amazon. The website is http://www.eaglebicycles.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vcorlew22 wrote:
I have no idea how old they are, there are so many carbon wheel companies, I had no idea. They had good reviews on Amazon. The website is
http://www.eaglebicycles.com.

These guys have some of the worst cycling ad copy I've seen since SpeedX:

Quote:
The Eagle 60/88 wheel-set is meant for one thing, SPEED! It is all aero all the time. When you are looking to get the most go for each pedal stroke the Eagle 60/88 is exactly what the doctor ordered. These wheels are designed, engineered, and tested to slice the wind in any application; time trials, triathlons, road racing or gran fondo rides. With our Wide Aero U-Shape design we achieve outstanding aerodynamics, lateral stiffness and the ultimate smooth ride you desire. Like all of our wheel-sets, these wheels are designed around the 25mm tire for the ultimate in ride quality and overall performance. Designed as a complete package we achieve the best possible performance with a near seamless transition between tire and rim for dramatically increased aerodynamic results.

LATERALLY STIFF AND VERTICALLY COMPLIANT for your next GRAN FONDO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vcorlew22 wrote:
They had good reviews on Amazon.

Those reviews are all fake. You've been had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like you already bought some but get some Flo wheels. Plenty are selling on classifieds now for cheap. Great customer service and fast wheels. Better than generic carbon for the same price.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
vcorlew22 wrote:
They had good reviews on Amazon.

Those reviews are all fake. You've been had.

That's what I'm thinking. I can't find any talk online, reviews, bitching, praise, sponsorship, etc... You would expect there would be SOMETHING from a company that says on its website "Eagle is one of the longest running American bicycle brands and wheel company's with a long-standing history in race technology that comes from years of experience."

Hopefully the OP gets his wheels and they are of quality build, but something seems fishy to me about this company.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to provide some clarity here: The Williams 58 is actually a 56mm Chinese made rim, and the 85 is really an 86mm Chinese made rim. It took some advanced interwebs spelunking, but I was able to verify that eventually.

That's not to say they are bad. I have both of those rims purchased on ebay direct from China and I am very happy with them for training purposes. I bought them because they match pretty closely to my Knight wheels in terms of profile so I can run carbon brake pads all of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it's a Taiwanese company from which Williams essentially white labels...much like Felt and Novatec. But they are better than Novatec and the hubs are excellent (and have that great industry nine type hum to them). The brake modulation is exceptional--the best of any China carbons I've tried, and I've tried a bunch. They aren't Zipp NSW brake track good, but very good--about as good as Reynolds. They are also as fast or faster than 808s per the raw data from A2. They've posted that data, rather than some bogus marketing "white paper" on their site. Flos may very well be the better buy at the $1200 price point, but Williams is likely a close second
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said, I own them and they are fantastic even as every day wheels. But, I paid $550 or so for the models with CX-Ray spokes and R13 hubs which are also pretty nice.

I would buy Flo 60 CC's as my next purchase due to their exceptional low yaw performance, and value.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, even though Williams is selling a Taiwanese company's product, they are an American distributor, and as a result has insurance and an obligation to American safety standards. I recently had a freak carbon fiber fork failure while mountain biking. I suffered serious and VERY expensive injuries. The bike was white labeled China carbon, which I purchased that way for the warranty recourse, even as I could have bought the same frame for half the price from deng fu chang or whatever. I have an attorney, and the distribution company and its insurer will likely be forced to make me whole by the American judicial system. Not to mention there could be serious PR consequences if I and another injured party join forces to shout from the roof tops about this. If you have a safety issue God forbid with these no name EBay products, you have no options whatsoever. I like to think of paying double as my own insurance policy.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Wheels [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
endosch2 wrote:
I would try to pick up some Hed Jet 6 or 6/9 on sale, you can find them for 1000 to 1200 new. They are aero as anything, same weight wise, and you dont have to deal with the crappy braking and brake pad switch hassle of carbon clinchers. No hub recalls, the list goes on and on why they make the most sense. I know Hed does not have the marketing power of others but they are great all around wheels.

+1

HED just makes great wheels that are not as flashy as full carbon. You can't go wrong here.

I have owned the Flo 60s, 30s, and FC 404s. Cross wind performance of the 404s is noticably better. To the best of my knowledge the cfd design process Flo uses probably doesn't allow them to do much in terms designing for crosswind stability.

Actually, CFD allows you to do a lot in terms of crosswind stability. It was actually on of the design criteria in the algorithm used to design our new wheel line.

Zipps are a heck of a lot lighter than the Flo 60s. My 404s weigh about 35grams less than my Flo 30s.

If you are talking about the old FLO 60s then yes. That said, our new Carbon Clincher FLO 60s are 121g lighter than the Zipp FC 404. The FC 404's weigh in at 1690g and our FLO 60 CC weigh in at 1569g.

Zipp also has a warranty where you will replace damaged rims for a reasonable price. Unless Flo has changed recently, your warranty option is to buy a new wheel.

We work with customers on damaged rims all of the time. Our new wheel line gives us even more flexibility with this. Out of curiosity, what is the price to replace a damaged Zipp rim? The numbers I've seen are very close to our original prices, which means you are essentially getting their distributor pricing.

Don't get me wrong, Flo makes a nice wheel, it's just that the Zipps are better in my opinion. You doget what you pay for. You just have to decide if the price premium is worth it to you.

If you shop carefully you can sometimes find them pretty cheap. My 404s were 1600$ with a new PT G3 laced in.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply

Prev Next