Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
It's sad. Cheating has become so commonplace that it's ok to blame the person who caught them.
Occam's Razor is science for a reason. Anyone.....anyone who BQs has a shit ton of history from training. You can crush the query in a heartbeat.
Well that's not strictly true.
They probably have a shit tonne of previous race results that will indicate their ability but there's plenty people who don't keep any electronic record of training runs. For example, my brother has been a competitive runner all his life, and has never worn anything but tiny €5 basic digital wristwatches. He has no interest in heart rate monitors, GPS or foot pods. He runs on feel and nothing else.
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Wow, I know who one of those runners is. This person ran officially this year but apparently ran last year using a copied number. Really quite a shock...

Reading the article, it seems to infer that the runners who had legit numbers were complicit with the runners who made the fakes

But couldn't the runners who faked their bibs just as easily copied a bib from FB or IG to use as a template, then simply add a random 5-digit number to use as their own? Or maybe 2+last 4 of your SSN, or something?

I could be wrong

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you carefully read the follow up article it explains that the runners exposed in this investigation are all linked through social media and/or a local charity. It's possible the original bib holders are not complicit but it seems unlikely given the direct ties between them. If they weren't so closely tied you'd think one of the actual bib holders might hVe come forward and distanced themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [DangerJim71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DangerJim71 wrote:
If you carefully read the follow up article it explains that the runners exposed in this investigation are all linked through social media and/or a local charity. It's possible the original bib holders are not complicit but it seems unlikely given the direct ties between them.

Why is that unlikely? It seems like if you were going to copy a bib based on a picture that someone posted on social media, you would most likely be connected to that person on social media.
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about your local running community but where I'm from if this happened where I secretly coppied a bib from a runner within our area or local running cirlcles it wouldn't be secret for long. I'd be quickly found out and admonished. Furthermore, it's not an isolated incident. Too many people involved too closely for it to be a lone wolf.

As it turns out in this case, one of the people involved has come forward and basically admitted the conspiracy.
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I haven't read anything about him in awhile. The Kitchen Bar is down the street from my office so I pass by there from time to time. That's pretty sad. But he brought it all on himself.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

I haven't read anything about him in awhile. The Kitchen Bar is down the street from my office so I pass by there from time to time. That's pretty sad. But he brought it all on himself.

I'll gladly set up a GoFundMe account for you if you went in there to sing 2 songs.

Your Cheatin' Heart by Patsy Cline followed by Lyin' Eyes by the Eagles.
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Leddy wrote:

I'll gladly set up a GoFundMe account for you if you went in there to sing 2 songs.

Your Cheatin' Heart by Patsy Cline followed by Lyin' Eyes by the Eagles.

Bonus if I borrow some Boston finishers gear to wear ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: May 6, 17 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Tell Me Lies" by Fleetwood Mac
"Born to Run" by Bruce Springsteen
"Run Around" Blues Traveler
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It Wasn't Me" - Shaggy

Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What timin' mat? by LetsRunDMC
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [DangerJim71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DangerJim71 wrote:
If you carefully read the follow up article it explains that the runners exposed in this investigation are all linked through social media and/or a local charity. It's possible the original bib holders are not complicit but it seems unlikely given the direct ties between them. If they weren't so closely tied you'd think one of the actual bib holders might've come forward and distanced themselves.

It's more than just than that, it seems

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...copying-article.html

{quote]ast year we had the fortune to meet a young man, Christian, who was 13 years old and battling Stage 4 cancer himself. We had a 50/50 raffle at our charity event in which we raised $3.5k. We went to see this young boy after one of his final chemotherapy treatments in order to give him and his mother the donation from this raffle. I asked a few friends from to come so he could see who and what total strangers were doing to help his fight. It was a very emotional experience where a lot of tears were shed and it was also three days before the 2016 marathon. After meeting Christian and seeing his strength, “the cheats” you have called into question, expressed the desire to run the marathon in honor of this amazingly brave 13 year old warrior. He never had time to train for chemotherapy, so they said that they shouldn’t have time to train for a marathon. To help them honor Christian, I made a copy of my number and we ran the race alongside each other for Christian. After the race, we cheats, again visited this young man and presented him with the 2016 Marathon medal. Christian was smiling, happy and was very thrilled with the medal we gave him. This was one of the greatest feelings we have ever had.

July 2016, Christian’s cancer relapsed and he passed in August of 2016. As you can imagine, it was an emotional experience for all involved.{/quote]

Then, in 2017 ... they did it again; but this time - perhaps - more for themselves than for their friend?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

{quote]. After meeting Christian and seeing his strength, “the cheats” you have called into question, expressed the desire to run the marathon in honor of this amazingly brave 13 year old warrior. He never had time to train for chemotherapy, so they said that they shouldn’t have time to train for a marathon. To help them honor Christian, I made a copy of my number and we ran the race alongside each other for Christian.

Then, in 2017 ... they did it again; but this time - perhaps - more for themselves than for their friend?[/quote]

I respect what the guy is doing with the charity work but this reasoning behind why they ran the marathon, in 2016, is such a crock......"he didn't have time to train for chemo so we shouldn't have time to train for a marathon".........so they copied bibs and jumped right in. For 2017, it's even worse because they could have legitimately done like many others have don and found a Boston Marathon related charity (that offers entry) and done the true fund raising for a good cause. Instead, they stole their way into the race and stole the medals they should have never received.
Last edited by: eye3md: May 9, 17 19:49
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, crock of sheit...

'today I did what I did not think was possible, I completed the Boston Marathon'.

I did see this or similar comments from them on more than one of their Farcebook, Tvittler or other social media feeds.
Proof or their entirely selfish and jaded perception of what is right and what is not.

Wow, just wow. These guys just keep on giving
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I read that I thought it wouldn't end well, he immediately got lit up by a bunch of other people who do charity work.
Quote Reply
Re: More Boston Cheaters thank you marathon investigation [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upon reflection, and re-reading the comments, they may have moved up in class

Quote:
First Circle: People Who Fudge Their Training Logs
Second Circle: Bike Thieves
Third Circle: Bandits, People Who Fake Bibs, and Those Who Take TWO Finishers Medals
Fourth Circle: Dopers, Course Cutters, and Other Assorted Cheats
Fifth Circle: Gamblers, Sportswriters, and People Who Make Up Charity Scams
Sixth Circle: Sports Agents
Seventh Circle: Team Owners
Eighth Circle: League Commissioners
Ninth Circle: Al Davis ... Alone for now, but saving spaces for Jerry Jones, OJ, Joe Buck, Coach K, Christian Laettner and Roger Goodell

Quote Reply

Prev Next