Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Maverick_X_5884.html

Dan has a nice review of the Maverick X up. I've only swum in the Pro and Elite, and kept the Elite and swim in it regularly, so I have no personal experience with the X.

He talks about how he won't decide on a wetsuit until he's pool tested it against other suits, so I was expecting results, but I suppose a comparative test only makes sense occasionally when you have a bunch of new suits to test.

He compares the arm-up positions of the X and DeSoto suits. I'm pretty sure DeSoto describes theirs as "mummy," i.e. arms forward, whereas Roka describes theirs as more superman, above the head-style.

While the Roka forearm panel isn't supposed to be a catch panel, it is supposed to aid proprioception or feel of the water, which in turn is supposed to help stroke mechanics. I'm a bit skeptical that's a worthwhile tradeoff for the potential failure point, and lack of insulation at a key bloodflow area, but at this point the market seems to demand something other than regular neoprene at the forearms of a premium suit.

He talks about how a well-fitting suit won't trickle in new cold water until late into a long swim, if at all, but also describes the suit as having been "dry" until that point. That doesn't seem right--my sense is that there's a tiny layer of water inside the suit that the body warms up, and the absence of new cold water is what defines a well-fitting suit, not being genuinely dry. Or do people genuinely experience dryness inside a well-fitting suit?

Very much agreed with his positive bottom line about Roka generally, great company for which I'm definitely rooting.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [rokasports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob, any plans for a sleeveless version?
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been looking for a replacement to my warn out Vendetta. The only hangup with the Roka is the sleeve cup. I'm surprised more have not commented on it. Kinda of a deal breaker for me at this point as it feels funny when the suit is on. Is this just me?
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sleeve cup? You mean cut? Can you be more specific?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Sleeve cup? You mean cut? Can you be more specific?

I find the extra wrist cup at the end of the arm a PITA to get on and off. Is the point to have it so tight that water can't get in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the 2" barrel cuff is designed to help seal out water, and it provides a way to finish off the textile forearm panel without having to bring it to the wrist.

We've actually had very few complaints about it and have found it is pretty easy to get off in T1 by hooking two fingers from the opposite hand on the inside and pulling in the opposite direction while you yank your sleeved arm out. All of our ITU athletes wear the sleeves unmodified and have ridiculously fast transitions, so with a minor amount of practice it shouldn't slow you down.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
http://www.roka.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it pops right off over a Garmin. Much much better than the Mav Pro
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is snug. I like it, and it doesn't give me any trouble, but the Elite I've got also doesn't have the forearm panels, which might make it more awkward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried on the pro with the cloth like panel and it was a mfer to get it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so the elite slides off better? Honestly I thought I was going to rip the pro panel trying to get it off.
Quote Reply
Re: Roka Maverick X Pre-Order is Live! [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sleeves of the X are slightly shorter than the Pro, which makes it easier to wear a watch directly on your wrist and to get one off. We should probably make that more clear on the website.

Just make sure you pull the sleeves all the way up, because if you seat them at the base of the wrist, thinking it is just like the pro/elite, it can drag the sleeve down the arm and tug on the neck depending on the length of your arm. So gotta make sure we get the suit all the way up the body and over the shoulder. When that is done right, we feel literally no shoulder restriction in the water, due to the different pattern design.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
again Rob, plans for a sleeveless X? Swam in my sleeveless Pro today and missed the comfort of the X but its too warm for sleeves!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rokasports wrote:
The sleeves of the X are slightly shorter than the Pro, which makes it easier to wear a watch directly on your wrist and to get one off. We should probably make that more clear on the website.

Just make sure you pull the sleeves all the way up, because if you seat them at the base of the wrist, thinking it is just like the pro/elite, it can drag the sleeve down the arm and tug on the neck depending on the length of your arm. So gotta make sure we get the suit all the way up the body and over the shoulder. When that is done right, we feel literally no shoulder restriction in the water, due to the different pattern design.

Best,
Rob

That's where I may be the odd ball here. I have super long arms relative to body type and the wrist cuffs sit more on my forearms a bit and it kinda cuts off circulation when dry at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3Aims: thanks for mentioning. will look again at sleeve length and wrist opening diameter for both regular and tall sizes.

re: the q about sleeveless, we don't have plans to make a sleeveless x at the moment.

best
rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the 2015 Maverick pro and no probs with gettin it off even with the 920 underneath.
I'm wearing the garmin just that tight that I can turn it without opening and have it during the swim like I have it on the bike with the top on the inside, so the watch is exactly where the panel is wi the cuff below.

-shoki
Quote Reply

Prev Next