Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Florida 70.3 swim
Quote | Reply
Last year there was no swim warm up. This year they had the pool open and you could warm up in the 5 minutes between waves. Thank you that works just fine. I was in the first wave 6:50 am still on the dark side. Had no problem finding the first turn bouy but after that it was really hard to see. I know there were yellow bouyes on my left but could not pick them up. And the red turn pole bouy was hard to see. Just wondering if they could put a battery strobe on top of that one to mark the base of the M. I am sure after the first couple waves and it was lighter out you could see everything just fine. This is a hard swim, lake is small lots of people in the water, you have to plow your way through the water. No place for the water to go but up and down. They were using ski jets to extract swimmers who wanted to quit. I know I swam through 3 wakes from the jet skies, not much fun on a hard swim. But still thanks for the swim warm up I know you are doing everything you can to make the swim experience a good one.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 swim [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a lot of turbulence in the water from the jet-skis. Not sure what they were trying to do but I was watching them zoom around while waiting for my wave and ended up being well hydrated by the end of my swim . The orange caps in front of my wave also made it hard to tell the buoys from the swimmers. I am sure on a straight course or simple course it would be different. People should get off the course as well if they are going to stop and rest. I have done the race the last 2 years but I am not sure I will do it again soon. I read on here that the rumor is the course might be changing but on the website it says Ironman Florida 70.3, Haines City Lake Eva Park 2017, Date TBA. I love the course regardless. The bike course is awesome and fast as well as the 3 loop run coming through the park 3 times makes it go by fast. Tough to beat.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rhudson,

Hope you are well. this is the type of feedback we love at IRONMAN! We are always listening closely to the athletes ideas as they often come up with the best ones. We work hard to think through everything and use best practices from around the country, but notes like this help us see from your perspective. I race quite a bit as well but have never been on a course where sunrise is not fully up and rockin' by the time i need it to be. The strobe idea is a good one. I like it, I will pass the idea along and see if it floats.....pun intended.

The swim warm ups are nice where we can manage them. There are some logistical issues on some venues and its not always possible. We have some significant checks and balances when it comes to people in and out of water and practice swims we need to be very careful with who is in the water and how we manage their safety. I know it sounds like overkill but its very important to us to keep everyone safe. Just some insight as to why we dont have them everywhere. We try but its not always possible.

I have already passed this note along to our swim staff and have them digest it and consider it for the future. Keep this stuff coming and always feel free to reach out to me directly if you have further ideas and thoughts. These races belong to you as athletes and we will do everything in our power to deliver a great and exceptional event to you each time.

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director - IRONMAN Boulder
dave.christen@ironman.com

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in wave 12 so it was already light there was a steady stream of people to follow as I made my way through the course.

I noticed the jet skis zipping around pretty quick before I got in. I didn't notice them during my swim. If there was any wake I probably ignored it. This was my first race with a lake swim. I came out from southern California and im used to ocean swims that can be much choppier than this lake was.

The strobe idea is a good one. I'm always in favor of anything to make the boueys more visible. I did 1 race last year where they used black Roka boueys that were hard to see during the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 swim [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a really good idea for those early morning starts. Would really help navigation.
Those waverunners were probably riding around like lunatics to scare the gators away.
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 swim [Bouldertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given the rumors about a move to Clermont, can you confirm that IMFL 70.3 2017 will be in Haines City?
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 swim [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffnPuff,

Sorry no info on that one. I am sure any news would be announced in an appropriate time frame. Make sure you like the 70.3 Florida facebook page and you should get any info as it becomes available.

DC

DC
Dave Christen
IRONMAN Race Director and Operations Manager
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 swim [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM 70.3 Florida will be staying in Haines City! The race will take place at Lake Eva Park the second weekend in April. We will look to move the first wave to start at 7 am for next year. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 swim [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this is a smart move. It isn't broke so why fix it? The vehicles on the bike course were all respectful of the bikes. The community on the run course was spraying hoses and cheering us on. The volunteers were all extremely energetic and motivating. I will more than likely sign up again next year since it's staying in Haines City.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the years there has been ambulance with red light flashing at the end of the swim finish at munice. That last turn is right into the sun hard to see anything the red flashing light helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it should stay in Hanes city good move , it is a hard course but well supported
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
IM 70.3 Florida will be staying in Haines City! The race will take place at Lake Eva Park the second weekend in April. We will look to move the first wave to start at 7 am for next year. Z

Thanks Tom. I saw that rumor in another FL70.3 thread and just had to ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:

Tom - will there be a preview bike/swim/picnic day in March? If so, have you picked a date? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Florida 70.3 swim [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
I think this is a smart move. It isn't broke so why fix it? The vehicles on the bike course were all respectful of the bikes. The community on the run course was spraying hoses and cheering us on. The volunteers were all extremely energetic and motivating. I will more than likely sign up again next year since it's staying in Haines City.

I like the race for these reasons too. Nice place. Nice people.
Quote Reply