Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The patriot act violates your privacy
Quote | Reply
It's amazing to me that some people still defend the Patriot Act. I guess people aren't concerned that they're drivers license is now available to anyone with an internet connection.

http://www.license.shorturl.com/

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by jhc [ In reply to ]
Re: The patriot act violates your privacy [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But we are safer aren't we? Aren't we?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Last edited by: Mr. Tibbs: Oct 28, 05 12:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"their" drivers license.

Sorry, had to be done.

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a bad hair day for me.

(You made me look.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like that's the Freedom of Inofmation Act, generally a good act, not the Patriot Act.

I'm pretty sure drivers licenses have generally always been available to anyone who wants info at the DMV. Now its just easier.
Quote Reply
Re: The patriot act violates your privacy [TB in MT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like that's the Freedom of Inofmation Act, generally a good act, not the Patriot Act.

No, it's the Patriot Act that specifically mandates that your license is to be posted on the internet. Supposedly, you can request that it be removed, but you have to make the request.

I'm pretty sure drivers licenses have generally always been available to anyone who wants info at the DMV.

I don't think so. Maybe. But especially with states considering putting SS#s on your DL, do you really want your's on the internet available to any kook or identity thief?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you hate Patriots?

I have to say that acronym is awful in terms of how it was basically painting everyone into a corner. At that point in time, and even now actually, politicians can't come out and say they oppose the "Patriot Act"--they'd get run out of town. Jingoistic propaganda at its worst...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"No, it's the Patriot Act that specifically mandates that your license is to be posted on the internet"

Where in the Patriot Act does it say that?

Did you click on the link? The site doesn't make much sense. What does this mean: "Under the Motor Vehicle Operator License Identification Act (MOLIA), all US states are required to adhere to the Driver's B.S. statute and store an electronic copy of all valid drivers licenses in their state, of which neither is true."

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The patriot act violates your privacy [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, I actually pulled vitus' drivers licence pic and posted it here before he asked me to take it down.

"No, it's the Patriot Act that specifically mandates that your license is to be posted on the internet"

Where in the Patriot Act does it say that?

Probably in one of the secret parts. All I know is that you can look up your drivers license on te web, and it strikes me as a gross violation of privacy. If I were you, I'd request that my license is removed from the site, just so nobody steals your identity.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Oregon, where DL numbers are not SSNs, you could always get anyone's license number. This was one of the things I learned in my advanced reporting classes in J-school years ago. It is probably different from state to state. Of course you can also look up if people are registered to vote, all the different property people own, anything criminal of course (until the charges are dropped or record swept clean) Marriages and divorces of course .... The list goes on. We did this as part of a project. We found as much as we could about one person. ... BTW: The FoI gives us the right to get what info. the government keeps on us. I did this for my peace corps file (since I was a fed. employee) and it was pretty mundane. I'm sure someone will find all my dirt somewhere else when I run for president.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I look good. That hair cut was awsome.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wackiness
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's really spooky is that apparently I have a drivers licence in any state i looked at, despite the fact that I'm Canadian! Does this Patriot Act no know international border?!!! ;) The horror!!!
Quote Reply