Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For the over 40's - are you still pushing yourself to your limits? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
41 with wife, young kids (5 & >2), somewhat demanding job, and just finishing up on the reno home/sell home/buy home cycle.

Suffice it to say training took a back seat to the bigger life issues during which time all my clothes shrunk.

Still feel young and spry so hoping to get back into the swing of things and see what's possible at this age. Encouraged by all the great accounts in this thread.

That said, during my late 30's I noticed that I couldn't hurt like I did when I was younger. Part was ability to recover, part level of fitness. (Need fitness to reach the "this is going to pay dividends" sort of pain.)

Stepping back from IM this season to focus on sprint/Olympic distance and open water swimming. Looking forward to a winter of that includes the 100/100 run challenge, TrainerRoad, and TRX.
Quote Reply
Re: For the over 40's - are you still pushing yourself to your limits? [feedthereed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
43, serious training since 39 (water polo background, never in endurance sport). Wife, kids, my own company....Just qualified for 2017 70.3 Worlds. No stop for me in forties :)
Quote Reply
Re: For the over 40's - are you still pushing yourself to your limits? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turning 50 and on-track to PB all times in all distances. That said, injury is always only bad decision away. Listening to your body, sleep and recovery are key.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

And: Yes. Provided I am injury free.
And of course I take my time fo recovery. But other than that I usually quote Johan Museeuw: “Yes, why would you slow down?” and stick to the LHO rule: Long/Hard/Often.

...compensating my lack of fitness with inadequate strength and endurance...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two "A" races this year --

1) I plan to return, 25 years later, to the first marathon I ever ran, and where I also set my marathon PR. I am going to try to break that PR 25 years later.

2) See below

Quote Reply
Re: For the over 40's - are you still pushing yourself to your limits? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome...thinking about doing the Bigfoot 200 in 2018 after building back up to a 100 in 2017 but the whole idea of 100 miles weeks again seems daunting as I bask in my glorious 25-30 mile weeks right now....;)

As for 40s, I think there are 2 camps, folks who came to running/endurance late and those that have been doing it since high school. The newbs really can see awesome improvements even at this age while I feel being in the 2nd camp, it's all about expectations. You have to reset them or you'll get injured, IMHO. My mind can still take me to a sub 5:30 pace for the last mile of 10k but my legs/muscles throw me a pulled muscle at that pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the over 40's - are you still pushing yourself to your limits?

No not really. I only really push it occasionally.

My "racing" days are well behind me. My only goal these days is to not get dropped by the A-Group on group rides with my cyclinf club. May not sound like a big deal, but with National & Provincial Masters Champions as part of that group often, this is often a lot harder than it sounds.

I pinned on a bib-number ounce this year, for the Hincapie Gran Fondo a month ago. I'm too busy with Race/Event Announcing work for anything more each year (35 races/events and weekends this year). I opted for the shorter 60 mile Medio distance and was happy with how I "did". I was kind of at the limit on the one major climb on the route.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Male - 41 turn 42 in March. My kids are almost 2, 5, and 15. I tell myself and everybody else that I am fine but the reality is I f-ing hurt. I have has several teeth repaired this year, including a bone graph and metal stud for the fake tooth to be installed with-in the next month or so. My left groin feels ripped apart thanks to 20 second sprints with 40 second rests, my left foot arch is super tight, both heals hurt in the morning getting out of bed, I crashed my bike at IMFL last month and fractured my right wrist in 2 places (still finished because I bought some finishers gear I wanted to be able to wear) and I am just wondering if it's worth pushing myself hard anymore. I podium at Olympic/Sprint at local races and almost crack top 10 at Ironman 70.3 races, (12th and tied for 10th 40-44 this year) but I am finding it hard to keep pushing. I feel like I am close to making a break through but then I start eating anti-inflammatories and go straight into denial. 40 was great. 41 just sucks!!!!

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: For the over 40's - are you still pushing yourself to your limits? [feedthereed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
46, two boys aged 6 & 11, wife works part time, i work full time. did my first race at 42, was pretty slow. now i'm just slower for longer races. and i'm fine with that, as long as i'm smiling when i cross the finish line and keep improving as i go. at 40 i was dealing with cancer, so why not push hard at things i like that also keep me healthy AND inspire our kids?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
53, first tri in '84.
I have not raced since my last HIM in 2013. As I was warming up for the swim that morning I was asking myself, why am I doing this? I still train daily, and feel motivated to train hard, just no longer interested in racing. I've maintained my race weight and still search for PR's on the track, and constantly work on my FTP, but just not interested in racing, though if the desire returns, I'll be back to it one day. For now, I prefer my weekends at home with family and friends. (after a ride or run)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
I ask because having been out of the competitive tri scene for about 5 years (though occasionally finding the urge to push hard on the bike or running for general fitness sessions). This year I've got dragged into pushing myself on the bike again as I recover from a hip cyst (Strava etc). I'm pushing myself for short sprints perhaps more than I recall for many years, to the point that on some efforts I feel like just rolling off the bike as I gasp for breath.

I'm nearing 42, but never really been out of shape as such and currently not troubling the scales much at around 73-75kg's. But hearing of people having heart attacks etc it makes me wonder whether it's wise to keep pushing as I have been recently. Perhaps I'm basing this off the attitude of the general (i.e. sedentary) population and around here it's the norm rather than the exception to challenge yourself regularly.

I don't know that I'll ever race long course again. The half distance would be absolute limit these days. But could see myself entering running races again. So don't want to totally back off. But I find myself questioning what I'm doing, with three young kids.

I'm 41 during summer I do full road race season, I push myself to my limits and more at list once a week. If I die at list on the bike not on the couch or in the bed. I do control my training, so I push hard when it is time to push and rest when I need to rest. If you do it smart I do not think you can die from heart attack... Just don't try run marathon after 10 years of partying hard...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40, 2 kids (5 & 2), both parents with busy jobs in London. Been doing endurance sports for 12+years (7 IM's, 10+ marathons, and lots of team sports growing up).

When I had my 2nd kid, I took a few years off IM's to focus on a sub 3 hour marathon before the age of 40. Took me about 1.5 years and 3 tries.

Signed up for an IM next year when I'll be 41. This year got back on the bike and mixed in the normal triathlon workouts (around 10 hours per week) and I definitely tougher to recover. I'm sleepy and get sick more often, but might be the inconsistent sleep (kids get up once/while). Also, tough to get the time on the weekends with kids activities. I've had all my PB's at all distances after having kids, so I think I'm just more focused on less workouts and smarter with diet (likely lightest I've been). It'll be interesting to see how the race goes next year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next