Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The (first) hammer falls: Libby [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now have you found the law that says I can't tell you Valerie Plame is employed by the CIA?

Since her CIA employment was classified, I'd guess that all sorts of laws cover that. Check the Espionage Act out, for starters.

How about one that says I can't tell you that she's a non-covert analyst?

You can't tell me any classified information if I'm not authorized- what's difficult about this for you? If the CIA's janitor's ID is classified, you can't tell me his name, either.

How about one that says I can't tell you about work that she does that's classified? Bingo! But is anyone accused of doing that? NO.

Nobody's accused of doing that because that doesn't appear to have happened. But that's hardly the only kind of information that can be classified. (What law are you misunderstanding to mean this, btw?)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: The (first) hammer falls: Libby [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh, this is the biggest piece of misinformation on the subject in existence

Don't bother - just several hours ago I posted the exact text from Wilson's Op-Ed in which he clearly did not say he was sent at Cheney's behest. But I suppose it was too much for those with poor reading comprehension. Cheney asked the CIA for more information, the CIA sent Wilson.

No, I've never argued particularly in favor of Wilson as he didn't do himself or anyone else any favors. I will defend him on some grounds, such as the concept that a) his wife arranged the trip(she merely recommended him) or b) the idea that he said Cheney himself sent him.

And none of that changes the problems associated with revealing his wife's CIA connections.

I would also argue that the bulk of information available indicated that Saddam had no nuclear material even if he was making overtures in that direction.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Fitzgerald is a "Special Prosecutor" which means that unlike other prosecutors, he doesn't have an enormous case load, just this one issue."

Elwood, you've been getting your butt handed to you, but I thought I'd correct this error as well. Fitzgerald has not been working on just this one case

"Unlike past special counsels who have spent all their time on one case, Mr. Fitzgerald has been busy in his day job. For instance, last month he secured a guilty plea from former Hollinger International Inc. president and chief operating officer David Radler, after charging him and former Hollinger corporate counsel Mark Kipnis with diverting more than $32 million from the Chicago newspaper publisher. Mr. Radler agreed to a 29-month sentence, while Mr. Kipnis pleaded not guilty. Mr. Radler is cooperating with Mr. Fitzgerald's continuing investigation into Hollinger. "

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: The (first) hammer falls: Libby [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Cheney asked the CIA for more information, the CIA sent Wilson."

Yeah, Cheney's office (I think it was the file cabinet) says (to no one in particular) "Gee, I'd sure like to know more about this so-called yellowcake deal in Niger..."

and miraculously someone at CIA says, "Hey we got a guy who can check that out for the VPs office, let's send him and not tell anyone..."

Uh-huh, I bet it happened JUST LIKE THAT!!!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Cheney's office (I think it was the file cabinet)"

Why are you repeatedly saying stuff like this that makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about? People refer to the Office of the VP or the Office of the SecDef or other things like that all the time because those people have large staffs that work for them and they all represent the "Office" of those people, not the "office."

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it seems to me that I'm just not as much of a pessimist as you are. Take that as you wish.

However, the charges against Libby are not of the "Oh gee, I forgot that conversation about the CIA agent" type, hence the trial.

If he is innocent, he will be found as such. But Fitzgerald is not the type, based on his record, to levy frivolous charges. If his charges are unsubstantiated, then Libby will be found not guilty.

I do not take perjury and obstruction of justice as frivolously as you do, just a difference of opinion. Take it as you wish, I see the criminal justice system in work, part of what makes America what it is.
Quote Reply
Re: The (first) hammer falls: Libby [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think perjury is a frivolous offense, but it has unfortunately become one in the past two decades. Yet again, however, we have no crime other than the perjury. So my feeling is this: Why didn't Fitzgerald scrap the investigation once he realized he had no crime to prosecute?

Many said the same of Ken Starr, but Starr indicted and convicted two dozen people by the time the Whitewater investigation (and its spawn) was concluded. I think the indictment of Libby ranks right up there with the indictment of Betty Curry (which didn't happen) for perjury and obstruction, offenses in which she was demonstrably involved. So Ken Starr, moron that he was, at least knew better than to indict the ham sandwich.

Quote Reply
Re: The (first) hammer falls: Libby [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "office" comment was in response to a ridiculous statement to the effect that Cheney doesn't know if his office sends someone on a mission overseas. Perhaps Bush is so slow witted that his people prop him up and do the work without his knowledge, but Cheney? No way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But, hey......Bush and Cheney should be apologizing for the shame, I mean THE SHAME!!, that Libby and Bush's Brain (otherwise known in the papers as "The Unindicted Co-Conspirator" these days) have brought down upon such an august institution as our federal government. I just know that a boy named Timmy, somewhere in a small town in Idaho, must be crying himself to sleep, as worried as he is about all those idjits in Dee-Cee and what they're doing to this great nation.

You never know what that "lying to a grand jury" thing could get you. Heck, it could even cause you to lose your license to practice law. As in the case of William Jefferson Clinton (hee-hee).

I DEMAND that the Democrats issue a formal apology forthwith for all of the anguish and heartache that James McDougal, Susan McDougal, Webster Hubbell, Henry Cisneros, Monica Lewinsky et al caused the American people, what with all of their tomfoolery and high crimes and misdemeanors. In fact, I'm holding my breath until those damn Dems come clean, throw themselves on the floor, say "mea culpa" at least three thousand times, and then apologize.

Far as I'm concerned, both sides are nothing but fuggin' clown shoes. I'm gonna go watch a History Channel show about some battle in the South Pacific in 1945. Wake me up when somebody develops half a brain down there in Soddom-on-the-Potomac.

"The horror.......the horror"

Colonel Kurtz Kahuna
Quote Reply
Re: The (first) hammer falls: Libby [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bush and Cheney should be apologizing for the shame, I mean THE SHAME!!, that Libby and Bush's Brain (otherwise known in the papers as "The Unindicted Co-Conspirator" these days) have brought down upon such an august institution as our federal government.

They should be, absolutely, and without doubt.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And again, no one, not even the cabinet or the desk, is disputing that a request was made from the Office of the VP to send someone to investigate the yellowcake rumors.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The "office" comment was in response to a ridiculous statement to the effect that Cheney doesn't know if his office sends someone on a mission overseas. Perhaps Bush is so slow witted that his people prop him up and do the work without his knowledge, but Cheney? No way.
So, you are calling Cheney a liar? He did say that he didn't know who Joe Wilson was, and that he never got the report. Of course, this is after he tells Libby who Wilson's wife is...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starr did prosecute several people, which was good because they clearly all deserved.

But if we're going to do comparisons, Starr's investigations (there were two, but the second was an extension of the first) lasted FOUR years, and cost $33M (as I last saw in the Washington Post). Fitzgerald's investigation has taken 2 years, $1M and he isn't done yet. Clinton clearly lied under oath, and that is a crime, so he deserved to be prosecuted for that. However, if we are going to compare and contrast this issue (for what would be the 1000th time in the LR), then you would have to freely admit that the 2nd investigation of Clinton was no more valid than what Fitzgerald has charged Libby with. If not . . .

I hope that there are no more charges, because I hope there were no improprieties as that is the last thing we need right now, more scandal.
Quote Reply
Re: The (first) hammer falls: Libby [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are you repeatedly saying stuff like this that makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about?

It's because he really doesn't know what he is talking about. When jhc, vitus979, slowguy, klehner and mclamb among others think someone is full of shit, they must REALLY be full of shit.

Can someone do a tally of how many people in the Bush administration have been indicted and/or resigned for some crime or misdemeanor versus how many in the Clinton administration? I'd be curious to see if they're similar (which I think they are).

Like I said.....nothin' but clown shoes, folks.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: The (first) hammer falls: Libby [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, comparisons with Clinton are so tiring.

Tiring, maybe....apropo, certainly.

T.
Quote Reply

Prev Next