Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding in Savannah, GA
Quote | Reply
Will be there Thursday evening through Sunday. Suggestions for good riding spots and possibly a reasonably fast ride about 4-5h Saturday?
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Savannah, GA [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a Saturday morning ride that starts @ Gallery Espresso on Bull st. leaving @ 8. There is also a Sunday ride that leaves @ 9 from the same spot.

Local Routes

Feel free to ask any other questions, I can probably answer most of them, or get a hold of the person that can.
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Savannah, GA [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.strava.com/activities/526358649

You guys have hills anywhere???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This ride (Sat mornining, Gallery Espresso, Bull St.) picks up in intensity on the homestretch. Yes, no hills. But, there's usually some heavy winds. Especially, this time of year. So, you'll still get a good sweat in.

Every group is different. My brief experience with this group is that it's a good ride. They take quick pulls when the intensity picks up so that'll give you a little heads up. Only negative thing I'd mention is that we had a couple of times where the guy at the front didn't communicate well and took the paceline so very close to some broken road that a couple of people hit it hard.

So, hills show you where the relief is. If that Savannah wind is strong, it feels like it won't let up.

Enjoy!

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Last edited by: morpheus: Mar 25, 16 13:03
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Savannah, GA [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What time does it start? You have the exact address for the start too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
234 Bull St, Savannah, GA 31401

At one of the many gorgeous squares in Savannah, Chippewa Square, corner of Perry and Bull St.

It's been couple of years since, but, I do think 8am is right. I'll dig into that and let you know if I find anything different.

You'll see plenty of cars with bike racks and plenty of cyclists mulling around before the start. There aren't a ton of big group rides in Savannah so a good number of cyclists come out for this weekly ride.

Just be cognizant of all the One Way streets around the squares. There won't be a lot of traffic that early on a Saturday but you'll be distracted b/c it's foreign territory to you.

Like I said, I'll let you know if I find the time has changed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://bicyclelinksav.com/...-and-events-pg37.htm

this'll help. looks recent, too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean 538ft in 65 miles isn't normal? https://www.strava.com/activities/526632889

The ride starts @ 8. The address is 240 bull street. Unfortunately the weather is not looking good for tomorrow at all. But we will see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to another ride organized by one of the STers in the area. Small group of 3, on 321/119 in SC. We dodged all the rain.
It was the flattest ride I've ever done I believe. Actually, I think it was entirely downhill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice area to ride - no hills though.

The roads on on the inland side of I-95 seemed reasonably quiet and many had that picture-perfect look of the big trees arching over the roads, and spanish-moss hanging all over the place, that is characteristic for the area.

Friendly folk waving from front porches as I road along. Although when I got back to the hotel, the guy at the front desk told me where I had been riding was, "not safe"! - whatever that means?

I was passing through ounce a number of years ago. Stayed at a hotel just off the I-95 and just road inland at dawn, on some back-roads for an hour and then reversed my route for a pleasant 2-hour ride, and then headed on my way!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Savannah, GA [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.strava.com/activities/527300042

That's worse than no hills. 350ft or so in 68mi! Aside from a couple of cars that passed a bit too close, folks were very friendly and went to the other side of the road to pass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normally, I prefer not to go out-and-back, but when riding in new areas, and when you don't have time to get lost, out-and-back, is the way to go.

Were you staying at a hotel right near the I-95? We may have jumped off from the same spot, but I sensed that I headed south and west on my ride and you went north and west.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Savannah, GA [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: "not safe"! - whatever that means?

When I would visit my in-laws (Pooler, very close to where you're describing), I would bike these rural roads to Savannah's downtown area to meet this Saturday morning ride. I kept hearing the same thing. Then, on 2 separate occasions within a little over a year, I caught the local news that a small group of cyclists were run off the road by a motorist (one time was a large truck, and another time was a logging truck) and one of those incidents resulted in a fatality.

Some of those backroads are long & straight, can be very isolating if a motorist sees an opportunity to do a fly by with the comfort of knowing that nobody other than the cyclists would ever know it happened.

This ^^^ can happen anywhere, of course. It all depends on who you catch on the roads.

Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Savannah, GA [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience riding here was very positive. Very courteous drivers for the most part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are pretty good in general around here. But like everywhere there are always some people that don't pay enough attention.

The only road that I stay far away from is the road to Tybee. After Whitmarsh it turns to 2-3 lanes with little to no shoulder and a steep drop off into the marsh and people scream through. It would be awesome to ride out to Tybee, but it just isn't worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Digging up an old post....

Traveling to Savannah this weekend and need to get in about a 60-70 mile ride.

Do any of the groups really dislike tri-bikes in the group? It's all I have to ride at the moment.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Savannah, GA [jagerbombster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride with the Saturday morning group quite a bit, and people bring tri bikes every now and then. As long as you don't get on the aero bars in the pack they won't give you a hard time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll reiterate what has already been said. It's more about you than what bike you are riding. If you are in the group please stay up on the bull horns, if you want to ride the aero bars ride off the front or the back. The biggest thing if you are riding off the front is please be steady. Weaving back and forth is not going to make you any friends. This weekend will probably have a lot of people but might be a tick bit slower at the pointy end due to speedweek and college nationals.

The Sat morning ride is out of gallery espresso @ 8, there is usually a Sunday ride out of the same location @ 9, traditionally it has been 65 miles but I think they are trying to dial it back to a slightly more casual 50ish. Routes are at here but the Sunday ride may be out of date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, look at all the folks in little Savannah. Cool.

I've not ridden with the weekend group(s) in months, but I was thinking about doing it this Saturday. Look for the good looking guy on a bike with twin down-tubes.

I don't agree that the winds here are any worse or prevalent then anywhere else. But if you ride towards the coast, the wind will often pick up. Most of the rides go inland tho, so no coastal winds.

I agree that the ride out to Tybee Island is a nogo. The fact that there's no shoulder is pretty common in this region, but there's so much traffic on the road to Tybee that cars can't move to give you room. As a result, mirrors pass within inches of your shoulder.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Apr 26, 17 19:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
I'll reiterate what has already been said. It's more about you than what bike you are riding. If you are in the group please stay up on the bull horns, if you want to ride the aero bars ride off the front or the back. The biggest thing if you are riding off the front is please be steady. Weaving back and forth is not going to make you any friends. This weekend will probably have a lot of people but might be a tick bit slower at the pointy end due to speedweek and college nationals.

The Sat morning ride is out of gallery espresso @ 8, there is usually a Sunday ride out of the same location @ 9, traditionally it has been 65 miles but I think they are trying to dial it back to a slightly more casual 50ish. Routes are at here but the Sunday ride may be out of date.

I agree, that's how I normally ride when around the group so no issues there. Sunday might be the better day for me since my main reason for traveling there is to help my mom and she wants most of it done Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that they are still doing the Sunday ride, but I'll find out. Here's a link to that Sat ride info. Note that the link-up site isn't Gallery Expresso anymore, but a nearby bike shop. The two are so close that it won't matter. http://savannahwheelmen.org/page-1819605

Later edit. A teammate on the Savannah Tri Team just told me that the 9AM Sunday ride does still exist. I'm probably going to aim for the Sat ride tho. Depends on what the neighbor kid does. I've been meaning to go on a ride with him for months and this is likely the weekend.

Books @ Amazon
Last edited by: RangerGress: Apr 26, 17 19:20
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Savannah, GA [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barring a crisis, I'll be doing the Sat ride. First time in prob 9 months.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Savannah, GA [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
I'm not sure that they are still doing the Sunday ride, but I'll find out. Here's a link to that Sat ride info. Note that the link-up site isn't Gallery Expresso anymore, but a nearby bike shop. The two are so close that it won't matter. http://savannahwheelmen.org/page-1819605

Later edit. A teammate on the Savannah Tri Team just told me that the 9AM Sunday ride does still exist. I'm probably going to aim for the Sat ride tho. Depends on what the neighbor kid does. I've been meaning to go on a ride with him for months and this is likely the weekend.

Thanks for letting me know. I seriously doubt I'll get out there Saturday. I'll be heading back to Savannah throughout the season so I'm sure I'll make a Saturday sometime.

Hopefully I can make Sunday.
Quote Reply