Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Osteitis Pubis and return to running
Quote | Reply
After my MRI confirmed osteitis pubis, I've been focusing on core and PT. Cycling only with no running for over two months now. No pain at rest and I have only done one easy treadmill run while having a movement analysis done (to see how bad my form sucked). This run was done two days ago. During the short run, I really did not have any pain in the pubic symphysis area. It felt more like a tightness, as if I had recently done a lot of ab work. The next day, tight feeling only but no pain. This is in marked contrast to early January. At that time, I tried to go for a short run and could not make it 50ft without bad groin pain. I see that as a definite improvement.

So this feels like progress but I'm curious how did others know when its safe to return to a gradual run buildup??? Considering this is not a very common problem, neither my sports med doc nor my PT have much direct experience dealing with other patients with this injury. There are a few threads on this topic but I want other athlete's up to date info, if available. Also, many of the other threads talk about what people did to recover, or how long it took, but I did not see mention of "how did I know the time was right to start again". Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Osteitis Pubis and return to running [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you checked to see if you have a bone spur at the PS also? I have OP (~3 years now) and a bone spur on it. I have tried to run 2x since hip surgery last Sep and both times i quit after a week of running. I was told by same doc who did my hip surgery (FAI and torn labrum) i have 2 options, shot in PS or surgery to remove bone spur. I have done neither but just continue to bike and some lite core work. I dont think rest will help me any, sometime just the slightest off movement, and i can feel the groin strain itself. I can feel this entire year slipping away unless it gets fixed soon.

2016:
IMFL #12
http://www.bestbikesplit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was diagnosed with OP last year and immediately started with PT. We were doing a lot of core work and exercises to strengthen the entire area, especially the lower abdominal muscles. Around the 4-5 week mark we started an Alter G treadmill routine twice a week. This started at about 70% of weight and a 2 to 1 walk/run ratio and slowly progressed to 100% weight and 1 to 1 ratio of run/walk. When I was pain free at 100% weight, I started run/walk sessions outside and just slowly started to build back to full running off of that. I did experience some abdominal discomfort as I went back to running but it was the same pain I had with the OP, so i equated it to all the core work I was doing. I would say total time from diagnosis to running outside was about 8 weeks.

For me the toughest part was the diagnosis. The injury came up in October and it wasn't until January and numerous doctor visits later before we finally figured it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Osteitis Pubis and return to running [DFWTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFWTri wrote:
Have you checked to see if you have a bone spur at the PS also? I have OP (~3 years now) and a bone spur on it. I have tried to run 2x since hip surgery last Sep and both times i quit after a week of running. I was told by same doc who did my hip surgery (FAI and torn labrum) i have 2 options, shot in PS or surgery to remove bone spur. I have done neither but just continue to bike and some lite core work. I dont think rest will help me any, sometime just the slightest off movement, and i can feel the groin strain itself. I can feel this entire year slipping away unless it gets fixed soon.

I'm sorry to read this. Looking through older threads, I've read about your struggles thru all of this and there have been quite a few. I really hope you get healing soon.

As far as the bone spur is concerned, that is a tough choice. Sometimes steroids can be injected near a bone spur to see if it will "melt" it some. Probably not likely to work. With bone spurs in the foot, surgery and/or lithotripsy type therapy can be tried. Not sure about lithotripsy for a bone spur at the pubic sysmphysis
Quote Reply
Re: Osteitis Pubis and return to running [se7930] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
se7930 wrote:
I was diagnosed with OP last year and immediately started with PT. We were doing a lot of core work and exercises to strengthen the entire area, especially the lower abdominal muscles. Around the 4-5 week mark we started an Alter G treadmill routine twice a week. This started at about 70% of weight and a 2 to 1 walk/run ratio and slowly progressed to 100% weight and 1 to 1 ratio of run/walk. When I was pain free at 100% weight, I started run/walk sessions outside and just slowly started to build back to full running off of that. I did experience some abdominal discomfort as I went back to running but it was the same pain I had with the OP, so i equated it to all the core work I was doing. I would say total time from diagnosis to running outside was about 8 weeks.

For me the toughest part was the diagnosis. The injury came up in October and it wasn't until January and numerous doctor visits later before we finally figured it out.

Yeah this is not a very common diagnosis and can be easily overlooked. My PT readily admitted he had heard of it but had never treated anyone with OP.

So your discomfort felt like the tightness you get from ab work? That is how mine felt when I ran. Like I had just done a bunch of leg raises and was now trying to run.

Now that you are back to running 100%, you do still have the discomfort?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That occasional discomfort went away after about a week or two back running outside. I continue to stick to a 3x a week core regimen and I haven't had any recurring OP symptoms since then. when I say October to January, that was 2014-2015, so I have been free of any issues for over a year now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
se7930 wrote:
That occasional discomfort went away after about a week or two back running outside. I continue to stick to a 3x a week core regimen and I haven't had any recurring OP symptoms since then. when I say October to January, that was 2014-2015, so I have been free of any issues for over a year now

Wow, you have had an impressive recovery. Congratulations and I really hope this stays away for ya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi se7930, I was recently diagnosed with the same thing and got a cortisone shot for it about a month ago. I tried running this week and no pain during but a little sore after so I am going to hold off and do some more core exercises as I have been.

Just curious what exercises/stretches did you focus on to help you in your recovery? I am finding my abductors and glutes are weak so that may have contributed to my hips being out of balance.

I know its an old thread but hoping anyone else who has come through this can give me a few pointers.

thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Osteitis Pubis and return to running [leder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its been a while, but a typical routine at PT would have looked something like
Planks and Side Planks
clamshells and clamshell with legs raised and resistance band around knees
Bridge and Bridge with one leg held straight out
Bridge while constricting lower abdomen (engage muscles you would use to keep from going to the bathroom) hold for 30sec
engaging same lower abdominal while laying in normal sit up position (hold for 30sec)
side steps with resistance band
Squats and Single leg squats

you get the idea ... I found that, for this specific issue, those exercises where you were engaging those lower abdominal muscles were the most beneficial in my recovery, with everything else helping to strengthen the entire core/pelvic area

Hope that helps! Good luck on your recovery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was diagnosed with op (I call it pubitis) almost 1 year ago to the date after struggling with symptomatic pain which felt like a potential sports hernia, being a physician i did the usual self diagnosis stuff, finally got an MRI to rule out a sports hernia and OP was discovered. there was noone around here that has dealt with this in an athlete much. I met a fellow athlete who was an expert in PRP injections on a flight, after some back and forth discussions and opinions I underwent a prp treatment to the area. I doubt cortisone would help much BTW. That treatment along with aggressive inner abdominal core and adductor, abductor as well as aggressive glute work has allowed me to fully recover.
Over the past year I went from not being able to kick at all in the pool to now doing everything with no restrictions. It is a very difficult diagnosis and a very long recovery. In the past year it slowly went away, but initially the op pain was still there significantly, esp with kicking.
My 2 cents and advice is to always engage your TVA and make sure you always do core work. Best luck, Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Osteitis Pubis and return to running [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both for your replies. I know I'm in for the long haul, been a while thus far and still improving. I appreciate the advice, good to know I am on the right track with what I'm doing for pt.
Quote Reply
Re: Osteitis Pubis and return to running [leder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, it took me a little over six months to get over this and get back to running again. I was off running from January thru July 2016. No swimming during that time either because it would cause me to feel the pain in my pubic symphysis area. I'm not sure any one thing helped except time. I did the core work, and still do, but I also started doing a lot of "air squats" around May or June. Not sure if it made a difference with the OP but it sure made my Runner's knee issues disappear quickly. It's amazing how weak glutes can impact so much.

I'm back up to 30+ miles per week running but swimming still makes my pubic symphysis area ache a lot (especially when I increase the yardage). I've been forced to do most of my swimming with a pull buoy to help relieve the ache. Guess my pelvis is pushed down into the water too much without it. It's really strange to be able to run and bike without any issues but swimming be the lingering problem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you made a successful return to running!

I too took off running basically from around early November until early February and made a very slow comeback from there. I am happy to say that I can run again, but I've yet to up my mileage to where I was before. In the 10-15 miles per week range right now, but that's because I want to up my cycling fitness right now.

I had the cortisone shot and the same pain was there for about a month after. At that point I had been off running for nearly 2 months so while I am sure it helped, it was definitely the down time from running that allowed the healing to occur.

Swimming and cycling never really bothered me, unless I cycled really hard then I would be a little sore and thankfully going into winter I just did some easier workouts to get me through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know I’m super late to this discussion! I got diagnosed with OP in October 2019, got a cortisone shot in November to get me thru my marathon in December and now am in the recovery phase of this injury. I got PRP 3 weeks ago and have been working with a strength coach for 4 weeks now, that is familiar with this injury. I’m running 1-2x a week getting up to 45 min or about 5 miles. Yesterday I pushed it to an hour and my lower abs right above my pubic bone felt super achey and tight.... is that normal? Did you guys experience that coming back to running and is part of the recovery process? I’ve been told by one expert that I can’t run until I feel zero sensations during or after running, as it can make the injury worse, and I’ve been told by another expert that running is ok, as long as the pain isn’t above a 4-5 on a scale of 1-10.... I’m just super confused about what I’m supposed to be feeling/expecting recovering from OP. I’ve had a stress fracture before in my foot and knew that after 10 weeks off it’d be healed and I’d be good to go. Coming back to running my foot was sore, but not painful. So, I’m wondering if this OP is like that?? Is it ok to be sore for a while, or am I making it worse by being sore??? I just don’t want this injury to linger and be a regular thing in my marathon training cycles. Thanks for your input!
Quote Reply
Re: Osteitis Pubis and return to running [KGregg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m late to this party too, but I would not suggest running if you have any pain. I developed OP out of nowhere in Dec 2019 (woke up with pain on 12/13 and ignored it, then had nearly nonstop pain with any activity or sitting after a run on 12/20). Diagnosed via MRI in Jan 2020. Pain was quite bad for two months but then slowly improved... so I started walk/jogs 3 weeks ago. Nothing more than a couple minutes of jogging at a time (and up to 12 minutes total during an hour long walk). I felt a bit of discomfort, but only maybe a 2-3/10 while jogging. After the third walk/jog I woke up at 2am with pain like the December pain and I feel like I’ve gone backwards 3 months. The pain seems to all be back and it sucks. Net, I wouldn’t suggest running if you have any pain.
Last edited by: Dafranking: Apr 22, 20 5:20
Quote Reply