Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hoka One One Clayton/Tracer [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky - there's a Clayton 4?? I got the 2's straight from Hoka today - they appear to be the latest model. I'm still using Bondi 4s, just got a new pair in fact, which I love for training. I don't see a need to upgrade to the 5s - hopefully they didn't pull what Brooks did with their Beasts back in the day - I wore those for a decade before they changed them entirely and ruined them.

I'm currently test driving Clayton 2s, Clifton 3s and the Tracer. Will report back with anything noteworthy in the coming days.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One Clayton/Tracer [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Clayton 2 is correct. They are on the Clifton 3 with the 4 coming out soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
think you mean a Clayton 2. They are slowly being released now. I have one coming tomorrow from Running Warehouse. From all accts they have fixed the blister issue. Clifton 4s will be out in July, big difference will be the mesh upper which should allow for more forefoot comfort and they are reinforcing parts of the sole.

I thought the same but two people already said they got blisters on the Hoka website reviews. One said the shoe is even worse than the V1 because the new orthopedic insole is stiffer (which Hoka blatantly admits).

I personally didn't have major issues with the V1 but once the insole got wet, blistered almost immediately. I was really hoping the issue was resolved in the V2 because i wanted to use it as a race day shoe but dumping water on myself doesn't seem like a smart idea with these.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One Clayton/Tracer [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in London and just ordered the Clayton 2. I've had a good experience with the 1's but do have blisters on both feet at the arches. I just built up a callous in that area over the years so minor skin shed usually heals fast enough. I couldn't run very long without socks and find the shoes work better when running not walking (good thing). Look forward to trying the 2's and hope to use them for a Summer IM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
anthonypat wrote:
think you mean a Clayton 2. They are slowly being released now. I have one coming tomorrow from Running Warehouse. From all accts they have fixed the blister issue. Clifton 4s will be out in July, big difference will be the mesh upper which should allow for more forefoot comfort and they are reinforcing parts of the sole.

I thought the same but two people already said they got blisters on the Hoka website reviews. One said the shoe is even worse than the V1 because the new orthopedic insole is stiffer (which Hoka blatantly admits).

I personally didn't have major issues with the V1 but once the insole got wet, blistered almost immediately. I was really hoping the issue was resolved in the V2 because i wanted to use it as a race day shoe but dumping water on myself doesn't seem like a smart idea with these.

Not a good start! I have a pair waiting for me and I'll use them after the ride tomorrow. I have never blistered in any shoes like I did the Clayton 1.

Edit:

Got the C2 today. They (to me) exactly like the fit and feel of the C1 Kona Ed I have. Only difference is the meshy upper/ tongue for the c2. Sides, rear, sole, look identical. The insole is exactly the same...same width, shape and Ortho material as Kona Ed. If you blistered in the Kona, you will in the C2. The right shoe felt ok but the left I could feel the pinch right were they blistered on me in prior Claytons. (I had the first Ed with horrible arch blisters). I have had Clifton 1 +2, Bondi 1, Hauka, ATR 1, Tracer and Arahi and never had any foot rubbing issues. These Claytons have some magical quality with my feet that is not good for comfort.

The Konas are much better than the C1s were, thus I am sure the C2 will have the same output, but will for me that means blister when I get to mile 5 or there about. Too bad...now to see how the Clifton 4 will be in July.
Last edited by: anthonypat: Apr 19, 17 21:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you give the C2s a few days? I'm really curious if they are better or the same, etc. before I buy something. And I read that they have a "breaking in" period:

http://www.roadtrailrun.com/...2-review-tuning.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This mean Clayton 1 on sale he he he

I love the shoe but prob buying a bunch of clayton 1 before I try the 2

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One Clayton/Tracer [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:

That is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. If the C2 is basically no different, I'm buying the C1 in bulk. It's such an overpriced shoe that getting it for 40% off makes it tolerable. How sad is that!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
LuisDF wrote:

That is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. If the C2 is basically no different, I'm buying the C1 in bulk. It's such an overpriced shoe that getting it for 40% off makes it tolerable. How sad is that!?

I have been at it on ebay for months... $70-80 if u time it right ;)

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One Clayton/Tracer [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
LuisDF wrote:

I have been at it on ebay for months... $70-80 if u time it right ;)

The worry there is that the C1 was changed mid production. They changed the insole to "fix" the blister problem. You can guarantee that you'll get the fixed insole if you buy from certain places... eBay ain't one of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use greenfeet insoles cause I need more support on my arc (the carbon ones obviously lol)

as long as the shoes is the same width and height I "should" be all set.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm picking up a pair tonight or tomorrow and will post feedback. I tried the Clayton 1s last year and had bad blisters on both arches. Good to know re: 10-20 mile break-in period.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One Clayton/Tracer [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran in the Clayton 2 today and it's a strong update from v.1. I ran with socks, but think you could get away without socks. The insole is much better and platform is pretty much the same. I think they took away a little room in the forefoot area, but that's a good thing unless you have a very wide foot. I thought v. 1 was a little too roomy. The shoe is true to size for me. I wore size 10.5 US in v.1 and same in this version. It's a little firm at first but I like the solid feeling and avoid energy bleed with all the squishy shoes. I also run in the Kinvara and the Clayton 2 feels VERY similar but a little more firm and extra cushion for the late long miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Claytons with over 500 miles and I still am using them in my rotation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following up, I tried the Clayton 2s for several runs and a total of 20 miles, but couldn't go more than a couple miles without big blisters forming. I had to swap out shoes on the treadmill every time. Too bad.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought some Clayton 2's and immediately developed a blister on the top of my foot aft of my big toe. After a couple runs with no improvement I contacted Hoka and they told me to try other socks. I had been using Swiftwick and Craft merinos. The problem went away when I switched to thinner socks or Injinjis. I absolutely love this shoe......fairly light, great cushion and a super quiet landing.

FWIW

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka One One Clayton/Tracer [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just test drove the Clayton 2s for a few weeks in my search for a less cushioned-but-similarly-fitting Bondi 4. It was a success. I tried pretty much every other Hoka out there and these were the only ones that worked. The 2s are much better than the 1s - better tongue most notably. I'm no Cinderella when it comes to shoe reviews but this one just fit my foot like a glove. My foot felt very 'wrapped', and with Riplaces they went on super quick and easy. Plenty of support for my nominally flat feet, but not too much like other Hokas. And just enough cushioning for my 6 foot, 178 pound frame. I raced in them up to 10 during an Olympic; I'm not yet sure if I'd do a half ironman in them (flashbacks to a foot injury 15 years ago when I tried racing flats).

Regarding using them barefoot, I tried them for a mile and it was a no-go. Not because of toe blisters like others have reported, but due to a blister on the arch of my foot that developed I think where the insole meets the side of the shoe - it's like a line blister. I still can't get rid of it 3-4 weeks later, every time I run it re-develops. But no issues at all with socks on.
Quote Reply

Prev Next