Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Powerblock dumbbells - any users/experience?
Quote | Reply
I know I am supposed to try to get as skeletonesque as possible to fit in here, but I'm outfitting a home gym. Was considering an adjustable dumbbell like a powerblock vs a set of rubber-hex type ones. Just wondering if anyone had some pros/cons to consider for use, thx. Also take this as an chance to flaunt pics of your sweet home gym setups, wouldn't want anyone to miss a brag opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerblock dumbbells - any users/experience? [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the bowflex ones that go up to 52.5lbs. They work. They don't take up a lot of space. However they're bulky and you have to be much more careful with them. Not that you should be throwing free weights around anyways.. but lifting to failure and dropping these isn't an option.

ymmv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a set of them for a few years now. No real complaints. Mine worked as advertised.

The block style is a little odd sometimes if you do things like hammer curls, your wrist can hit the block, minor annoyance. I still use them as my weights. Much more convenient than individual dumbbells.
If I recall they were a little cheaper than the Bowflex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had both and prefer the power block dumbbells. The bowflex ones are bulkier. The bowflex ones are easier to change the weight quickly if that's important to you. Not that power block ones are slow but it's just not quite as easy especially if you need the fine tune weight adjustment which is removing the smaller internal weights. With the power block dumbbell one thing I like is the way it's built allows you to grab on to two handles on one dumbbell. This is nice if you're doing a pullover or overhead tricep extension. I don't think you'll go wrong with the bowflex or power block dumbbells. They're both good IMO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like them, had them for about a year and a half. Take very little room and with the expansion packages you can get a really good weight range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be in fitness sales, and the store I managed sold Power Blocks. They were a big seller (we would frequently sell out). They are also a good negotiating point- if you are outfitting a home gym and dropping a couple grand, a good store may include the Power Blocks for free to sweeten the pot.

As others have said, they are a little bulky- not enough to interfere with 99% of exercises, and they are actually a similar size to a comparable weight dumbbell.

Also, Power Block has a much longer warranty (15 years compared to many competitors 3-5 years i believe). As others have said, you don't want to drop them, but otherwise Power Blocks are tanks.

Downsides are if you frequently work out with a spouse or friend. If your workout partner is a female, Power Block has a lighter set that is smaller and less expensive- consider those as an add-on (also adjust in smaller increments as a bonus).

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both a set of the Nautilus (Now Bowflex) Selectable DB's and a set of Powerblocks. We like both, but agree with the pro's and con's about each mentioned by the others. I have a slight preference for the Nautilus set, because of the ease of changing them, but my female work partner prefers the Powerblocks, because of their shorter length. IMO, either one is a much better option than a set of traditional DB's for the average home gym that's limited on space, so I'd go with whichever you can get a better deal on.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Re: Powerblock dumbbells - any users/experience? [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the feedback, seems like a solid solution from everyone's experience. I see they have a urethane version out now which should be quieter as well (not sure why I want to workout in silence). Now I gotta go buy a new sleeveless tri top...
Quote Reply
Re: Powerblock dumbbells - any users/experience? [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Physiojoe925 wrote:
I used to be in fitness sales, and the store I managed sold Power Blocks. They were a big seller (we would frequently sell out). They are also a good negotiating point- if you are outfitting a home gym and dropping a couple grand, a good store may include the Power Blocks for free to sweeten the pot.

As others have said, they are a little bulky- not enough to interfere with 99% of exercises, and they are actually a similar size to a comparable weight dumbbell.

Also, Power Block has a much longer warranty (15 years compared to many competitors 3-5 years i believe). As others have said, you don't want to drop them, but otherwise Power Blocks are tanks.

Downsides are if you frequently work out with a spouse or friend. If your workout partner is a female, Power Block has a lighter set that is smaller and less expensive- consider those as an add-on (also adjust in smaller increments as a bonus).

just a quick update Powerblock is a lifetime warranty and bowflex is 3 years. I work in specialty retail and my experience is that the bowflex can and does have a problem with the dial jamming
Quote Reply
Re: Powerblock dumbbells - any users/experience? [JBcycl1st] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBcycl1st wrote:
I have the bowflex ones that go up to 52.5lbs. They work. They don't take up a lot of space. However they're bulky and you have to be much more careful with them. Not that you should be throwing free weights around anyways.. but lifting to failure and dropping these isn't an option.

ymmv
I've got these same ones and really like them. They are a bit wide, but that's to accommodate their flexibility in all the various weight setups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my power block - no complaints just a few words of caution: make sure you insert the pin in perpendicular to the weight or you risk dropping the heavier outside weights mid-set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of powerblocks and am a pretty big fan. Switching weights takes about ten seconds tops once you're used to it and they feel very secure. I tried the bowflex weights at Dick's and, frankly, they feel a bit "loose" to me... almost as if you had plates on an Olympic bar that aren't totally snugged down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a set of 70lb powerblocks. I looked at the bowflex and they seem really cheap and poorly designed in comparison. Very large and clunky. Plus no matter the amount of weight being used they are the same length, which is really long for a 50lb dumbbell.

Amazon sells powerblocks if you don't have a dealer nearby. My set shipped free with prime shipping.
Quote Reply
Re: Powerblock dumbbells - any users/experience? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I have a set of powerblocks and am a pretty big fan. Switching weights takes about ten seconds tops once you're used to it and they feel very secure. I tried the bowflex weights at Dick's and, frankly, they feel a bit "loose" to me... almost as if you had plates on an Olympic bar that aren't totally snugged down.

Those who are fan of powerblocks don't like bowflex at all. It's my general observation. On the contrary, I am fan of both dumbbells. They are top-notch in adjustable dumbbells category and come in various categories. I personally own bowflex 552 and I rate it a big higher than powerblock elite dumbbells.
Quote Reply