Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

latex tubes and sealant?
Quote | Reply
can you put sealant in a latex tube?
is stan's good for that or is there a specific sealant that wont hurt the tube?
my understanding is i would use latex tubes with a good tire to help rolling resistance
will using sealant in a latex tube negate the rolling resistance benefits of the tube?

the set up - hed h3 plus front clincher + conti gran prix 4000s II + a vittoria latex tube + sealant
for 4 man team time trial - thanks for any ideas/knowledge. sincerely, rick
Quote Reply
Re: latex tubes and sealant? [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use orange seal in latex tubes in all my wheels. It's doesn't add to rolling resistance from the tests I have seen. It's seals better than Stans. Both work, but orange seal seems to secure the puncture faster and at a higher pressure. This setup kept me rolling this weekend when some jerk spread tacks all over our TT course. The only downside is that you need to keep the wheels inflated and rotated reasonably often. I seem to get about 4 months out of a tube before the sealant dries up and the tube gums together. It's not a cheap setup, but fast and secure.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't use that tire on an H3. Give a 20c supersonic a try. The H3 was designed to run with a narrow tire.
Last edited by: Orbilius: Mar 6, 16 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: latex tubes and sealant? [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a- thanks for the orange sealant tip
b - h3 plus? i think its a good bit wider than older h3. the hed peeps who were at the rally team camp suggested the whole set up - my peeps are helping make it only mildly financially ruinous! wheel is in transit and i'm getting the tubes/tires now - i'll let you know if it all seems to work soon.
sincerely, rick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it the new h3+? I have been really curious about that wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h3+ (h3 plus) - yes - this wheel. if my understanding is correct - its plenty wide enough to roll better with a 23 (maybe even a 25). looking forward to trying it out, esp. since i need all the speed i can get (who doesnt?). will be especially happy if i have no flats in actual tt or ttt races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one more q - which tubes do you use (i'd assume a removable valve makes injecting sealant easier (maybe even the only way?)?)?

and is there any trick when you have a deep wheel - put sealant in tube before its on rim inside tire? and i'm guessing with no valve in tube when you are applying sealant - sealant goes in with no air in the tube......

sincerely, rick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use vittoria tubes with removable cores and put the sealant in with the core removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a read of this ST article:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_-_Part_2_4155.html

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread back to life because I was wondering how your experience with sealant went.

I run the same front wheel with a Conti Attack - Vittoria Latex Tubes - Orange Seal. I did a long ride last week and flatted repeatedly, front and back. The Orange seal appears to do nothing except create a giant mess in your tire after the tube fails.
Quote Reply